? On 5 Lug Swap - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-27-2011, 07:43 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Wisconsin
? On 5 Lug Swap

So I am gathering parts for my 5 lug swap and after reading several posts on parts to use and such I have a question. I am using 95 GT spindles with my stock "A" arms. Most of the swap information states that I need a spacer on my 92 ball joint threads as they are longer than the 95 spindles can take (too much thread up high which prevents tightening). My question is can I use 95 ball joints in my 92 "A" arms to eliminate a spacer? What have you guys done in your swaps? Also what is the difference between a stock rear axle flange and these available from LRS?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...h-94-04-Flange

Would other available rear axles need some kind of modification to fit 5 lug wheels? Like a hub spacer or something like that?

Thanks guys in advance.
SleepingStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2011, 08:27 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: ? On 5 Lug Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingStang View Post
So I am gathering parts for my 5 lug swap and after reading several posts on parts to use and such I have a question. I am using 95 GT spindles with my stock "A" arms. Most of the swap information states that I need a spacer on my 92 ball joint threads as they are longer than the 95 spindles can take (too much thread up high which prevents tightening). My question is can I use 95 ball joints in my 92 "A" arms to eliminate a spacer? What have you guys done in your swaps? Also what is the difference between a stock rear axle flange and these available from LRS?

1979-93 Mustang 28 Spline 5 Lug Moser Axles, with 94-04 Flange at LRS - Same Day Shipping!

Would other available rear axles need some kind of modification to fit 5 lug wheels? Like a hub spacer or something like that?

Thanks guys in advance.
If the 95 ball joints will "physically" fit into the 92 A-arms, I don't see why that wouldn't work for you.

Those axles are for use with the SN95 rear disk brakes, but they retain the 79-93 axle width. If you use stock SN95 axles they will be wider by about 1.5" overall, which will limit your wheel selection.

No, you wouldn't particularly need hub spacers unless you just wanted to move your wheels out.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

If the 95 ball joints will "physically" fit into the 92 A-arms, I don't see why that wouldn't work for you.

Those axles are for use with the SN95 rear disk brakes, but they retain the 79-93 axle width. If you use stock SN95 axles they will be wider by about 1.5" overall, which will limit your wheel selection.

No, you wouldn't particularly need hub spacers unless you just wanted to move your wheels out.
+1, the 95 ball joints should fit with no problem, the stud is just shorter than the fox's eliminating the need for the spacer.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2011, 12:16 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys. Trojan it is my intention to use the SN-95 rear disks along with a corresponding caliper adaptor plate. I actually got most of my info from a post you made awhile back with frequently used articles and websites, so kudos to you for getting that out there. One of those sites, redmustang.com, stated that a hub adaptor made from a 2.5" ID X 2.75" OD may be needed for what I am assuming is a larger rear axle flange which correlates to the difference between FOX and SN-95 (and later) "hub centric" wheels. I think that is why the Moser axles on LRS's website show a 5 lug for FOX's and a 5 lug for SN-95 and later. Does that seem correct?

If I have done my research correctly and using all SN-95 appropriate pieces I will need a Cobra master cylinder as well? Correct? Is this a direct swap to the 92's booster?

Thanks again.
Old 12-28-2011, 12:45 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: ? On 5 Lug Swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleepingStang View Post
Thanks guys. Trojan it is my intention to use the SN-95 rear disks along with a corresponding caliper adaptor plate. I actually got most of my info from a post you made awhile back with frequently used articles and websites, so kudos to you for getting that out there. One of those sites, redmustang.com, stated that a hub adaptor made from a 2.5" ID X 2.75" OD may be needed for what I am assuming is a larger rear axle flange which correlates to the difference between FOX and SN-95 (and later) "hub centric" wheels. I think that is why the Moser axles on LRS's website show a 5 lug for FOX's and a 5 lug for SN-95 and later. Does that seem correct?

If I have done my research correctly and using all SN-95 appropriate pieces I will need a Cobra master cylinder as well? Correct? Is this a direct swap to the 92's booster?

Thanks again.
Yes, that seems correct.
The axles you linked to allow you to use the SN95 rear disk brakes without the added width of using stock SN95 axles.
I believe I read that you can use a master cylinder off of the SN95 GT, along with the proportioning valve. Don't forget the proportioning valve or an adjustable replacement, because the rear disks pressure needs will be quite different than the drum brakes.

As far as a direct swap, I'm not 100% sure, but I have not read of any difficulties or additional mods needed for fitment.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 01:28 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys. Project most likely will be in the works through next year but I'm gathering the parts now when cash is flowing.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Anyone know if the 95 booster fits without modification to a FOX firewall? Thought I read somewhere that the mounting holes needed to be modified. Not something I want to do. I know that the stock booster pushrod has to be adjusted with a 95 master cylinder (MC).

On another note: The product EvapORust works wonders if you have patience. I put the 95 spindles I got in a heated (fish tank heater) bath and WOW it eats all the corrosion off. Takes about 24 hours for a complete clean. It's also non-hazardous.
Old 12-31-2011, 11:35 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Not sure about the sn95 brake booster, I'm going to use the 93 cobra brake booster.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 10:16 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I know someone is running my planned conversion out there in forum land. What MC are you using? SN-95 parts used on mine, GT calipers front and rear, spindles, rotors. Thanks. I know there are many articles and posts I've read. I'm looking for a little real world opinion here about pedal feel and performance with the MC your using. I know I could go with larger brakes and the such and kits that are out there but this is what I am able to use at this time.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT