New to this...gt40p heads vs 351 Windsor.. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:26 AM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Ponyboy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 14
New to this...gt40p heads vs 351 Windsor..

Ok, here's the deal...I'm getting a motor in two weeks for my Fox and here is what it consist of... Stock block n rods.... Keith black forged pistons .....trick flow stage 2 cam.... trick flow push rods .....dbl roller timing chain.... 351 winsor heads ....stock valve covers ....cromoly rings ...arp head studs.. I also just picked up gt40 upper and lower intake for 40$ from the junkyard....my question is what is the difference between the Windsor heads and the gt40p heads? Im asking because I have the option to buy a set of gt40p heads from a guy for 150$ that he pulled off an explorer or I can go with the 351 Windsor heads that are coming with the motor I'm buying...I heard that the gt40p heads are better...my next question is do you guys think running 24lb injectors and a 65mm modified explorer throttle body with this setup is sufficient enuff? Imma try and think of some more questions ...like I said I'm new to this and very excited...thanx!
Ponyboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Stang.racr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 915
24# and a 65mm throttle body is plenty. I run a h,c,I car on stock injectors and throttle body. I run a 255lph fuel pump and adjustable fuel regulator and never had a problem at all. Their ratings are at 80% load, those heads have similar rating stock for stock with the gt40 series flow a tad more. I would choose the one with the bigger combustion chamber since you are running a huge cam
__________________
having a fine car that is slow is like having a hot girlfriend that won't put out!
Stang.racr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:43 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
stampde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manalapan
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,880
Re: New to this...gt40p heads vs 351 Windsor..

GT40 's hands down
I'm a windsor guru ,i was building these motors before the dawn of time , lol
and the only 351w head thats any good are the old ones 69' ,70' castings and they still will not out flow a GT40 out of the box ..... now if your going to get them ported then i'd say go with the old 351w heads , bigger valves and smaller combustion chambers ( that will bump up your compression ,witch will give you more power !!!! ) there's really NO difference between the the newer 51 heads and the 5.0 heads ,mid 80's on up are all the same except maybe combustion chamber .. and if its a bigger chamber it'll drop your compression and you don't want that ..
we used to put old 289 heads on 85 gt roller engines and they would scream just because of the compression bump
__________________
2011 GT Auto
stampde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: New to this...gt40p heads vs 351 Windsor..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
GT40 's hands down
I'm a windsor guru ,i was building these motors before the dawn of time , lol
and the only 351w head thats any good are the old ones 69' ,70' castings and they still will not out flow a GT40 out of the box ..... now if your going to get them ported then i'd say go with the old 351w heads , bigger valves and smaller combustion chambers ( that will bump up your compression ,witch will give you more power !!!! ) there's really NO difference between the the newer 51 heads and the 5.0 heads ,mid 80's on up are all the same except maybe combustion chamber .. and if its a bigger chamber it'll drop your compression and you don't want that ..
we used to put old 289 heads on 85 gt roller engines and they would scream just because of the compression bump

Hahaha! You must be about my age. We'd take the C9OE & D0OE heads and stuff the 1.94/1.60 valves in them, port & polish them a bit and be off and running. I sold my last set to a guy in Texas some years ago. Once they started coming out with the aluminum aftermarket heads the old OE heads just weren't worth the effort anymore.

I remember doing all the same stuff, but for our "serious" engines we'd use the 351C 4V heads when we could find them and build a "Clevor" engine (basically the old Boss 302).
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 07:16 AM   #5
Registered User
Newbie
 
Ponyboy66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 14
Is there a big difference in the gt40 and the gt40p heads?
Ponyboy66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 10:18 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: New to this...gt40p heads vs 351 Windsor..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponyboy66 View Post
Is there a big difference in the gt40 and the gt40p heads?
The P heads flow a bit better.
There is more info in the Useful Mustang Info sticky thread.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
stampde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manalapan
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,880
Re: New to this...gt40p heads vs 351 Windsor..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Hahaha! You must be about my age. We'd take the C9OE & D0OE heads and stuff the 1.94/1.60 valves in them, port & polish them a bit and be off and running. I sold my last set to a guy in Texas some years ago. Once they started coming out with the aluminum aftermarket heads the old OE heads just weren't worth the effort anymore.

I remember doing all the same stuff, but for our "serious" engines we'd use the 351C 4V heads when we could find them and build a "Clevor" engine (basically the old Boss 302).
yup old school Trojan Horse
these young kids got it made , we used to have to spend hours porting heads
now they just drive down to WaWa with a credit card and have like 25 different heads to choose from ........
__________________
2011 GT Auto
stampde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: New to this...gt40p heads vs 351 Windsor..

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
yup old school Trojan Horse
these young kids got it made , we used to have to spend hours porting heads
now they just drive down to WaWa with a credit card and have like 25 different heads to choose from ........
Indeed! I once spent about 80 hours porting a set of heads for a 429 Ford and ended up with a piece of cast iron embedded in my eyeball. It flew off the die grinder and hit right below my safety goggles and ricocheted up.
But the heads worked out great!
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
gc19662007's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Texas
Posts: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde
GT40 's hands down
I'm a windsor guru ,i was building these motors before the dawn of time , lol
and the only 351w head thats any good are the old ones 69' ,70' castings and they still will not out flow a GT40 out of the box ..... now if your going to get them ported then i'd say go with the old 351w heads , bigger valves and smaller combustion chambers ( that will bump up your compression ,witch will give you more power !!!! ) there's really NO difference between the the newer 51 heads and the 5.0 heads ,mid 80's on up are all the same except maybe combustion chamber .. and if its a bigger chamber it'll drop your compression and you don't want that ..
we used to put old 289 heads on 85 gt roller engines and they would scream just because of the compression bump
I have a 289 from 66 daily driver project. I got a hold of the driveline out of a 91 GT. Would the 289 heads be better for the 5.0?
gc19662007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Good Information Thread. ESG642T Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 10 01-13-2012 09:00 AM
351 heads Tyoung68 Classic Mustangs 2 12-25-2011 06:33 PM
351 heads Cm644rodrigues 1979-1995 Mustang GT 3 11-11-2011 05:03 PM
Arao 351 windsor head price 2.3turboford Classic Mustangs 3 10-26-2011 10:33 PM
Cumbustion chamber size Mustang1968kr 1979-1995 Mustang GT 2 08-23-2011 12:51 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



03:39 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.