What should i do next - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2011, 06:57 PM   #1

Region: Maryland
What should i do next

I got a 1990 5.0 and i got it to drag race.im only 16 so yea I'm on a budget.i have a c4 transmission,4.10 gears bbk cold air kit,long tube headers cattless h pipe skinnys and 70 mm throttle body.if anyone has any cheap ideas on what I can do to her next.it would be greatly appreciative
Coryshade1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2011, 07:12 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Here is a thread from the stickies.
Mustang Modifications - In the Beginning...
It has a good to do list for modding your stang.
Also since your racing I would focus a lot on suspension.some adjustable shocks are good to dial in your suspension.rear control arms will also help out your 60' time .if that stuff is to much money then maybe a good bushing kit will help u get traction.
The cheapest mod u can do is advance your timing.it is free and really can wake your ride up.

---------- Post added at 07:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:04 PM ----------

Here is some information about advancing your timing.

advancing timing

If u have any questions about any of this feel free to ask.me or anyone else will be more than happy to help.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I agree with dreamstang about the timing..also you can change the pulleys system.take off your smog pump since your not using it.also the a/c system if your thinking on not using it....take out any extra weight always helps.. And welcome by the way.. And take everything chilled..my mustang was my first car I started since I was fifteen..I know whats in your mind but after seeing all the information here your mind trust.and take your time in everything and try to do everything yourself so you can get to know her from front to end.
89 Foxloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2012, 10:27 AM   #4

Thanks for the ideas.i know the pulleys are a big help if u got a supercharger.but do they help if I don't have a supercharger?
Old 01-01-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
I think you may be confused as to what the pulleys do exactly. As always, someone please correct me if Im wrong (I come from the import scene and dont know mustangs that well yet *flame suit on*). Ok back to the topic. Superchargers gain a decent amount of power from changing their pulley because that will allow the supercharger to "spin" faster and produce most boost; more air+fuel = more power. As far as every other pulley, they actually DO NOT increase power at all. Their goal is to reduce the parasitic drag produced by the engine having to rotate them. So you'll seem to have more power, but only because the engine has less drag on it (same physics apply to driveshafts, rims, flywheels, etc). Hope that clears up any misunderstandings
88gtCc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gtCc
I think you may be confused as to what the pulleys do exactly. As always, someone please correct me if Im wrong (I come from the import scene and dont know mustangs that well yet *flame suit on*). Ok back to the topic. Superchargers gain a decent amount of power from changing their pulley because that will allow the supercharger to "spin" faster and produce most boost; more air+fuel = more power. As far as every other pulley, they actually DO NOT increase power at all. Their goal is to reduce the parasitic drag produced by the engine having to rotate them. So you'll seem to have more power, but only because the engine has less drag on it (same physics apply to driveshafts, rims, flywheels, etc). Hope that clears up any misunderstandings
You actually sound pretty dead on with that!..
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
I use to run under drive pulleys but when I did the supercharger install I had to go back to factory size pulleys.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gtCc
You are correct. the smaller the supercharger pulley the more boost you acquire.
Meansaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meansaleen
I use to run under drive pulleys but when I did the supercharger install I had to go back to factory size pulleys.

---------- Post added at 04:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:26 PM ----------

You are correct. the smaller the supercharger pulley the more boost you acquire.
That seems to be the "rule of thumb!.." Not sure as to why really?!....
Old 01-01-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Tuning? Would that be good? I'm not much of an electronics car guy so not 100% on that
bradh2414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 05:21 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Why did you have to go back to stock pulleys??
Old 01-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #11

Thanks for all the clarification.im kinda new to this I came from junior dragsters and that was a lot less to deal with
Old 01-01-2012, 05:23 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Correct but it has its limit..if you get a really small pulley for your supercharger you will over spin it and their goes everything..
Old 01-01-2012, 05:24 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Foxloco

Had to change back to stock engine pulleys. Not supercharged pulleys.
Las0mbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las0mbra

Had to change back to stock engine pulleys. Not supercharged pulleys.
Yeah thats why..if he added the supercharger why did he had to put back the old pulleys?? Why dont the under other pulleys work?
Old 01-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah thats why..if he added the supercharger why did he had to put back the old pulleys?? Why dont the under other pulleys work?
Because they cause the serpentine belt to spin slower. Thus, reducing the boost...
Old 01-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Quote:

When u are running a s/c it is running off either ur serpentine system or crank pulley.so u have to have the proper crank pulley to s/c pulley ratio for your s/c to be right.for the minimal gain that your ud pulleys get it is not worth trying to run ud pulleys.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:48 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

So the my question is!.. Why can't you then run a smaller/larger (which ever is needed) SC pulley to keep it spinning at the right RPMs, and keep the Under Drive pulleys on there?.. Sorry but I just see things outside the box and try to get as much "cheap and easy hp" as I can!... Lol

I'm forced to take "shoe string budget" to a whole new level!.. Hahaha
Old 01-01-2012, 07:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner
So the my question is!.. Why can't you then run a smaller/larger (which ever is needed) SC pulley to keep it spinning at the right RPMs, and keep the Under Drive pulleys on there?.. Sorry but I just see things outside the box and try to get as much "cheap and easy hp" as I can!... Lol

Because with a small enough pulley you have belt slipping issues.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:56 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:

It is possible.just to most people not worth the hassle.a s/c pulley is probably more expensive than a reg pulley.so to play with pulley sizes and belts just seems a waste .
Do you already have ud pulleys? Cause I will be more than happy to get rid of mine as soon as I put my s/c on.I played games with insufficient charging because of them.to me personally the hassle to gain ,is no where near worth it.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:03 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang

It is possible.just to most people not worth the hassle.a s/c pulley is probably more expensive than a reg pulley.so to play with pulley sizes and belts just seems a waste .
Do you already have ud pulleys? Cause I will be more than happy to get rid of mine as soon as I put my s/c on.I played games with insufficient charging because of them.to me personally the hassle to gain ,is no where near worth it.
Ya I already do!.. I did a lot of work to my car before the kids!.. Now after them I have no car modding budget!!... ;(
Old 01-01-2012, 08:19 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:

Sorry for the late reply. Main reason is for belt slippage. Secondly most supercharger kits come with the dual belt crank pulley which is factory size. Third you may not get the charger to spin fast enough if it is under driven.
Meansaleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:29 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Quote:

Ya I already do!.. I did a lot of work to my car before the kids!.. Now after them I have no car modding budget!!... ;(
I hear that.with no modding budget a s/c is hard to do.do u still have ur factory pulleys? Ud pulleys are only gonna net u maybe 5 hp max and if u have aluminum maybe 5-10 lbs.if u still have ur stock pulleys I would put them back on during the install.the s/c is most likely gonna come with the belt and wrong pulley for ur setup.the cheaper route is probably stock pulleys being ur gonna have to replace those.I havent really heard of people running ud pulleys with s/c.but maybe someone else can help u get setup.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:37 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Sorry for the late reply. Main reason is for belt slippage. Secondly most supercharger kits come with the dual belt crank pulley which is factory size. Third you may not get the charger to spin fast enough if it is under driven.
Oh ok..got it now..thank you and lasOmbra for the explain..I had put my on sale but I guess I'll be keeping them..lol
Old 01-01-2012, 09:11 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I hear that.with no modding budget a s/c is hard to do.do u still have ur factory pulleys? Ud pulleys are only gonna net u maybe 5 hp max and if u have aluminum maybe 5-10 lbs.if u still have ur stock pulleys I would put them back on during the install.the s/c is most likely gonna come with the belt and wrong pulley for ur setup.the cheaper route is probably stock pulleys being ur gonna have to replace those.I havent really heard of people running ud pulleys with s/c.but maybe someone else can help u get setup.
Ya I still got the factory ones!.. But a SC is still a few years down the road!.. Next year my budget should increase a bit!.. Planning on doing heads, cams, and long tubs!..
Old 01-01-2012, 09:14 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Quote:

Ya I still got the factory ones!.. But a SC is still a few years down the road!.. Next year my budget should increase a bit!.. Planning on doing heads, cams, and long tubs!..
Don't forget if u plan on a s/c to get a s/c friendly cam.
Old 01-01-2012, 09:19 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Don't forget if u plan on a s/c to get a s/c friendly cam.
From what I've seen thus far a stage 2 or 3 will be fine!.. But I will be doing alot more research before I get to that point!..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT