289 comp cams install valves ticking - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Region: South Carolina
289 comp cams install valves ticking

Ok I'll try and word this as best as I can... I bought a 66 mustang in 2008 when I was deployed to Iraq(eBay)... So I got home and drive it a few times and drove it for a few days and noticed it had high oil pressure... Factory gauge so I wasn't sure how accurate it was... Called my dad and asked him he said I should be fine... I noticed a very slight tick in heads... While I was driving... Googled it said it was pretty normal for a 289... Long story short one of the valves collided with my piston...failed spring? Any way I tore it apart with my neighbor at the time and we took the heads to the machine shop and ordered a new piston... Comp cams set up and basically everything brand new for the heads... I'm no machanic but I understand and have done everything myself, or from help with my old neighbor(certified ford guy)... Well the rebuild is complete and the car sat for about 6 months durning a kansas winter as I transitioned out of the army and had the car shipped to sc. We noticed after the rebuild the valves were again ticking only louder now... So we tightened a little bit more than in the comp cams paperwork... I had an exhaust leak here recently and just put some headers on her... Now I'm noticing the ticking more than ever... Should I readjust to what the paperwork says or is the problem more serious... Any help would be greatly appreciated...
Powpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 10:39 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 289 comp cams install valves ticking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powpow View Post
Ok I'll try and word this as best as I can... I bought a 66 mustang in 2008 when I was deployed to Iraq(eBay)... So I got home and drive it a few times and drove it for a few days and noticed it had high oil pressure... Factory gauge so I wasn't sure how accurate it was... Called my dad and asked him he said I should be fine... I noticed a very slight tick in heads... While I was driving... Googled it said it was pretty normal for a 289... Long story short one of the valves collided with my piston...failed spring? Any way I tore it apart with my neighbor at the time and we took the heads to the machine shop and ordered a new piston... Comp cams set up and basically everything brand new for the heads... I'm no machanic but I understand and have done everything myself, or from help with my old neighbor(certified ford guy)... Well the rebuild is complete and the car sat for about 6 months durning a kansas winter as I transitioned out of the army and had the car shipped to sc. We noticed after the rebuild the valves were again ticking only louder now... So we tightened a little bit more than in the comp cams paperwork... I had an exhaust leak here recently and just put some headers on her... Now I'm noticing the ticking more than ever... Should I readjust to what the paperwork says or is the problem more serious... Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Sounds to me that your cam may have too much lift or your pistons are not notched properly for what you have.
Tightening the valves may have added to the problem.
You are going to need to remove the heads and clay the pistons so you can see what your valve clearance is.
I think the recommendation is .080" clearance on the intake valves and .100" on the exhaust valves.

What ratio rocker arms do you have?
Is the cam a solid lift or hydraulic?
Do you have a fully adjustable valvetrain with rocker studs or just pedestal mounted rockers?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 01:36 AM   #3

To be honest I don't really remember I have the came paperwork rigt here
Valve adjustment hyd for intake and exhaust
Gross valve lift:
Intake .493 exhaust.500
Duration @
.006 tappet lift 262 intake 270 exhaust
Valve timing;
Open. Close
Int:25. Btdc 57 abdc
Exh: 69. Bbdc 21 atdc
These specs are for cam installed
@106.0 intake center line
Intake. Exhaust
Duration @.50 218 224
Lobe lift .3030 .3130
Lobe separation 110.0
Don't know if that helps but I just copied the paper
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2012, 02:00 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Sorry that doesn't really help.

Which valve hit the piston, intake or exhaust?
Did you make sure it wasn't bent or did you replace it?
Old 01-03-2012, 02:10 AM   #5

Intake... But the heads have all brand new parts they came with the comp cams kit... Everything was redone since then... I wonder if I just readjust tension if it won't fix it

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 AM ----------

Also it's s flat tapit cam so it will make the valves a little noisy any way... My big concern also is I'm burning oil
Old 01-03-2012, 02:26 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Intake... But the heads have all brand new parts they came with the comp cams kit... Everything was redone since then... I wonder if I just readjust tension if it won't fix it

---------- Post added at 03:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:09 AM ----------

Also it's s flat tapit cam so it will make the valves a little noisy any way... My big concern also is I'm burning oil
Valves don't come with cam kits?
Cam kits are usually, cam, lifters, pushrods and maybe rocker arms.

Try readjusting exactly as the cam manufacturers directions say to.
Make sure the piston on the cylinder's valves you are adjusting is at TDC with both valves closed or the valve opposite of the one you are adjusting is just starting to open.
That way you can ensure you are on the base circle of the cam when you adjust.

Burning oil could be from the rings sticking from setting too long.
That may or may not clear up.
Old 01-03-2012, 06:54 AM   #7

Thanks man... You have been a lot of help I'll let you know if this clears it up... Thanx

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

Also if was to order a set of aftermarket heads what would u recommend for the cam above... I know ima noobie... I understand the concept of it all just don't quite get the numbers yet
Old 01-03-2012, 09:10 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks man... You have been a lot of help I'll let you know if this clears it up... Thanx

---------- Post added at 07:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:47 AM ----------

Also if was to order a set of aftermarket heads what would u recommend for the cam above... I know ima noobie... I understand the concept of it all just don't quite get the numbers yet
Research the Trick Flow heads. I believe they offer a set that has revised valve locations that may gain you more valve to piston clearance. Your best bet would be to use one of their HCI kits, so all of the parts work together.
Good Luck.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:57 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

that cam isnt very big , shouldn,t have any piston to valve issues
did you assemble the heads yourself ????
if so ,did you set up the valve springs ? ( installed height ) because you cant just slap valve springs on , you need to set them at an installed height ,with shims that go under the valve spring ..................
Old 01-03-2012, 10:54 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampde View Post
that cam isnt very big , shouldn,t have any piston to valve issues
did you assemble the heads yourself ????
if so ,did you set up the valve springs ? ( installed height ) because you cant just slap valve springs on , you need to set them at an installed height ,with shims that go under the valve spring ..................
My thoughts too at first, but without knowing the full build specs on the engine or heads and whether or not it may have 1.7 rocker arms, what length pushrods, etc. etc., I just wasn't sure what we might be looking at.
There are so many variables that can affect piston to valve clearance that without having all of the information it is hard for me to determine what the issue really is.
Old 01-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

ya T were just giving" best guess estimates " its all we can do ..
Old 01-03-2012, 12:29 PM   #12

Just talked to old neighbor the only thing new in the heads was the springs... I found a new pair of 302 heads(factory)for a great price... Can I just transfer springs and see if that fixes it or will the 302 heads mead to be modified?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT