STARTER WONT STOP. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-06-2007, 07:13 PM   #1

STARTER WONT STOP.

ok. here is my trouble.a few months ago i noticed that the positive battery terminal was getting corroded pretty bad and was starting to go black "not good". so i cleaned it and put it back on. and it came back. then all of a sudden one day i started the car and the starter would not stop after i let go of the key. so i turned the car off completely and the starter kept running. i opened the hood and smacked the solinoid and it stopped. so i figured it was just a bad solinoid so i changed it. just yesterday it happened again with the starter but this time it would not stop nomatter what i did. i know the solinoid is bad again but i want to know what the hell is making them go bad and making the positive terminal go black and the solinoids to crap out.
jesse4887 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2007, 07:24 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida
Re: STARTER WONT STOP.

remove the starter and take it to a place that will test it for you such as Autozone, or Advance Auto Parts. Fords are notorious for bad starters and bad relays

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:26 PM   #3

it wouldnt be the starter due to the fact that the starter is still getting power from the battery. if it was the starter it would either just "click" or spin without moving out to the flywheel.the main problem is that the power supply wont stop going to the starter and i know its the solinoid,but why is the termial constantly getting corroded and turning black. and if it has to do with the problem with the starter not stopping.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2007, 07:27 AM   #4
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Florida

A major indicator of a bad starter or solenoid is when the starter fails to stop after the car has started, though another possibility for this problem may be an ignition switch that is sticking. The solenoid may also be responsible for a failure of the starter to stop after the car has started.
Starters keep running because the switch contacts in the solenoid got "fused together". If this happens , it may burn up the starter (That why I suggested checking the starter) and battery cables before the battery runs out.
If the starter ever is running continuously, remember that the battery terminals will get very hot, very fast with the current being pumped through the starter!

Mods-K&N CAI , True Dual Flowmaster 40, BBK Ceramic Shorties, 3.73 , 25% UDP, 3/8 Phenolic Intake Spacer ,Steeda Tri-ax, SCT Chip/Dyno Tune

Quote:
"Some people are like Slinkies; useless, but fun to push down the stairs."
Herbstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 07:30 PM   #5

guess ill try the starter then.i sure hope thats the problem because this damn car has so many electrical issues. 88 was when they had the recall for the ignition overheating and melting. FUN!!!

sometimes when its REALLY cold out the oil,gas,washer fluid, and coolant light would all blink at the same time for quite some time. fog light power wire had no power,defrosters wont work, and lastly the horn went bad(washerfluid pump leaked onto low tone horn and makes the fuse pop). i fixed that for now.just need the new horn. so yeah...this thing has major issues.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:16 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

sounds like your pulling too much load through the relay burning them and the battery terminal up...

starter maybe grounding out in the run state... i'd replace it and then possibly, if need be replace yet another relay "soliniod"
LUK

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT