Time to say hello/input and advice on 92 5.0 'vert - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #1

Region: Michigan
Time to say hello/input and advice on 92 5.0 'vert

Greetings all, been lurking for awhile absorbing some of the info here, been quite helpful thus far. After owning something like 26 cars in the last 10 years, I'm finally on my first Mustang: a 92 LX 5.0 'vert that I also feature in a column at Winding Road magazine called "Flip This Car."

Winding Road | Flip This Car: 1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible

Anyway, I'd like to tap the forum here for some advice if I may. I'm looking into tackling some exhaust work because I've heard enough 5.0s with healthy systems to know how good they sound uncorked. But, I also have an exhaust leak under hood that I want to address, and I suspect it's related to the smog pump, which has been bypassed by the previous owner. The leak sounds like it's way back at the firewall, which from what I've searched up here leads me to believe the pipe from the pump to the exhaust is the issue.

Or I could be completely wrong. That's the downside to not having much experience with a Fox Bod, ergo, n00b forum post.

In any case, I've considered just replacing the pump with a new unit, swapping in some louder mufflers and sticking with an emissions-friendly ride. But then I get thoughts of a pump-free engine with an off-road X-pipe and an all-new exhaust system. Plus I suspect replacing the pump would be a bit more complicated than just swapping in a new one, as I have a bundle of what appear to be vacuum hoses that have been purposefully rerouted and disconnected in the vicinity of the pump. Not sure if they're related and if I'm honest, I haven't delved into it because the car is running quite well as-is, no CE light, no codes.

The only thing that gives me pause is a somewhat surprising lack of low-end pull. The power doesn't really come on until about 3000 revs, but then again, this is a four-speed auto with, I suspect, the 2.73 rear end. By definition that should be pretty sluggish off the mark anyway; does this sound consistent for a 5.0 equipped as such?

Anyway, there's a nice, long, confusing first post. Sorry about that.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/opinions on my exhaust/smog pump situation, as I'm really on the fence here. It would be hard to justify the extra cost for the full exhaust if there aren't any real performance benefits to be realized. I should also point out that the rest of the car is bone stock and I'm closing in on 120,000 miles. Not sure if I'm going to do more performance work on the intake side yet, but if I do it will likely be minor. I still need to conserve dead presidents for a new top and wheels come spring!

No matter what, I'm already digging my first Mustang experience. Technically I should be selling the car late in spring (hence the title of the series), but I can already foresee that being a struggle, especially once the warm weather hits.

Thanks much everyone

1992 5.0L Convertible
Chwriting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
How's it going.welcome to ME. It will definitely be more of a pain to put the pump back on,if it was removed cleanly.most of us plug the line from the pump in the back of the heads with a 5/8 11 bolt.it should be a short one.maybe there is one there and it came loose?
Also a spot on a stock hpipe needs plugged.if u go o/r h pipe u don't have to worry about plugging that.
As for exhaust opinion I say make it loud!
Hope this helps.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
I would honestly do away with the pump and go with an o/r mid pipe. You will still have to plug the smog bung even on the o/r pipe.

2.73's lack acceleration for the most part, I would definitely install 4.10's.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Looks like you've come to the right place! Welcome.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:43 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Time to say hello/input and advice on 92 5.0 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chwriting View Post
Greetings all, been lurking for awhile absorbing some of the info here, been quite helpful thus far. After owning something like 26 cars in the last 10 years, I'm finally on my first Mustang: a 92 LX 5.0 'vert that I also feature in a column at Winding Road magazine called "Flip This Car."

Winding Road | Flip This Car: 1992 Ford Mustang LX 5.0 Convertible

Anyway, I'd like to tap the forum here for some advice if I may. I'm looking into tackling some exhaust work because I've heard enough 5.0s with healthy systems to know how good they sound uncorked. But, I also have an exhaust leak under hood that I want to address, and I suspect it's related to the smog pump, which has been bypassed by the previous owner. The leak sounds like it's way back at the firewall, which from what I've searched up here leads me to believe the pipe from the pump to the exhaust is the issue.

Or I could be completely wrong. That's the downside to not having much experience with a Fox Bod, ergo, n00b forum post.

In any case, I've considered just replacing the pump with a new unit, swapping in some louder mufflers and sticking with an emissions-friendly ride. But then I get thoughts of a pump-free engine with an off-road X-pipe and an all-new exhaust system. Plus I suspect replacing the pump would be a bit more complicated than just swapping in a new one, as I have a bundle of what appear to be vacuum hoses that have been purposefully rerouted and disconnected in the vicinity of the pump. Not sure if they're related and if I'm honest, I haven't delved into it because the car is running quite well as-is, no CE light, no codes.

The only thing that gives me pause is a somewhat surprising lack of low-end pull. The power doesn't really come on until about 3000 revs, but then again, this is a four-speed auto with, I suspect, the 2.73 rear end. By definition that should be pretty sluggish off the mark anyway; does this sound consistent for a 5.0 equipped as such?

Anyway, there's a nice, long, confusing first post. Sorry about that.

I'd appreciate any thoughts/opinions on my exhaust/smog pump situation, as I'm really on the fence here. It would be hard to justify the extra cost for the full exhaust if there aren't any real performance benefits to be realized. I should also point out that the rest of the car is bone stock and I'm closing in on 120,000 miles. Not sure if I'm going to do more performance work on the intake side yet, but if I do it will likely be minor. I still need to conserve dead presidents for a new top and wheels come spring!

No matter what, I'm already digging my first Mustang experience. Technically I should be selling the car late in spring (hence the title of the series), but I can already foresee that being a struggle, especially once the warm weather hits.

Thanks much everyone
I wasn't sure if you would show up here or not, but Welcome Aboard!
I'm the one who suggested on your article page that you stop by so we could help you out.

The leak you hear could very well be the smog pump tubes if they were disconnected and improperly plugged off. Note: Any leak in the exhaust system before the O2 sensors can cause your engine tune to be off as it causes the sensors to give false readings to your EFI system.

If you can get away with no pump, just remove the whole system, plug the back of the heads with some short 5/8" x 11 thread bolts, cut, pinch and weld shut the tubes at the H-pipe or replace the H-pipe with an off road version. If you remove the pump you have two options both of which may require a different belt. You can re-route the belt to bypass the smog pump or you can get a bypass kit that has a idler pulley to take the place of the pump. If you decide to keep it, I'm sure we can find you some vacuum diagrams to help sort out your system.

Yes, the auto transmission and 2.73 gears do make for a sluggish take off, plus the fact that it is a convertible which is a bit heavier than the hatchbacks or coupes. A set of 4.10 gears will help that issue immensely, but you'll need to make some changes to the speedo gears for your speedometer to read correctly. You can just change out the speedo cable gear (21 or 23 tooth, can't remember for sure), but that usually leads to having to replace it periodically because it does not fully match the gear in the transmission tail housing and it will eventually get chewed up. The best thing to do is to replace both gears for better durability and accuracy.

There will be some HP benefits with a better flowing exhaust and the more mods you make to the engine the more benefits you will get from it. See the sticky thread titled "In the beginning." for more ideas.

You are going to have a really hard time selling the car once you get started working on it and playing with it. Trust me, they are so much fun to drive and work on you won't want to let it go. I'd suggest a long running "Flip this car" series for it and save up and buy other vehicles that you can "flip" to buy parts for the Mustang. I did that with another Mustang I owned so I could buy a supercharger and tuner. Doing that will give you an in depth look at our, and your soon to be Mustang addiction. That should make for a pretty good article that will touch base with thousands of readers.

Note: When you have other and different questions, please start a new thread in this forum. Each issue or upgrade is better served if it has its own thread so there is less clutter and confusion that way. Since this is your introduction thread I will move it into the "Introductions" forum for better exposure.

Once again Welcome Aboard, and I'm really glad you stopped by to allow us to assist you with your project.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:06 PM   #6

Region: Michigan

After the friendly invitation, I had to come check things out. There are no shortage of Mustang clubs and online forums to visit; if I'm honest, most are too big to notice a newbie, or too infatuated with their own existence to be of much use to new members. Since I'm not a pro mechanic, doing what I do with cheap car challenges makes finding a nice enthusiast community pretty much vital. So yeah, very glad to be here

Thanks for the good words everyone. One other question here on the exhaust leak. Having looked under the hood, just how hard is it to get to these openings in the back of the heads? Just from a glance, it doesn't look like much fun.

1992 5.0L Convertible
Chwriting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:20 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chwriting
After the friendly invitation, I had to come check things out. There are no shortage of Mustang clubs and online forums to visit; if I'm honest, most are too big to notice a newbie, or too infatuated with their own existence to be of much use to new members. Since I'm not a pro mechanic, doing what I do with cheap car challenges makes finding a nice enthusiast community pretty much vital. So yeah, very glad to be here

Thanks for the good words everyone. One other question here on the exhaust leak. Having looked under the hood, just how hard is it to get to these openings in the back of the heads? Just from a glance, it doesn't look like much fun.
They are not the easiest thing to get to,but you should get it with minimal curse words.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 11:41 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chwriting View Post

Not too bad like dreamstang said, just pre-lube your hand first. J/K
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT