95 Headlight Swutch - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-11-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
95 Headlight Swutch

K when I bought my car the headlight switch was bad, no running lights or dash lights. Replaced and it's been fine for four months. It just popped again! Any ideas why this keeps happening?
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Might be the Headlight switch Gnomes! Not to be confused with the Underpants Gnomes. These little bastards go out and soil electronics causing them to short out. When you noticed your switch was out, was the lever sticky? Did it smell like maple syrup?

Lol, jk I've got no clue man. But when you replace this one, take your old one apart. Look for corrosion or indication that the internals may have gotten hot.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:31 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 95 Headlight Swutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
K when I bought my car the headlight switch was bad, no running lights or dash lights. Replaced and it's been fine for four months. It just popped again! Any ideas why this keeps happening?
Have you changed headlight bulbs to higher powered (more current/amp draw) ones?
Are your fog lights powered through the headlight switch?

Sounds like the switch is being damaged and consequently burned up by too much current/amp draw.
That or check your light's grounds and make sure they are grounded good.
If they are not the power could be back feeding through and destroying the switches.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Have you changed headlight bulbs to higher powered (more current/amp draw) ones?

Sounds like the switch is being damaged and consequently burned up by too much current/amp draw.
If they are not the power could be back feeding through and destroying the switches.
That sounds logical... But I'll bet it Gnomes.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

One fog light is burned out and the other is missing. It wasn't in the carfax but I know it's been hit up front. It is raining but not pouring. It messed up when I pulled the lights on. The fogs are on the center console switch. Weird it's been fine for four months.. I think it's under warranty at auto zone so probably won't get to dissect it.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
One fog light is burned out and the other is missing. It wasn't in the carfax but I know it's been hit up front. It is raining but not pouring. It messed up when I pulled the lights on. The fogs are on the center console switch. Weird it's been fine for four months.. I think it's under warranty at auto zone so probably won't get to dissect it.
If it has been hit in the front it may have a pinched wire that is shorting out intermittently when the lights are on causing the switch to overheat because of the excessive current/amp draw.

After numerous cycles of this the switch finally fails because it is weakened each time it heats up.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Weird, after work it started working intermittently but I got it to stay on working it around a little. When I got home I decided to mess with it a little and I couldn't get it to not work.. Just strange..
Not complaining that it's working, I'm just saying.. Weird.
Old 01-12-2012, 01:54 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

And it's working just fine today..
Old 01-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
And it's working just fine today..
Electrical stuff.
Old 01-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

I'm glad its working, but its confusing and frustrating
Old 02-21-2012, 11:50 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Had this same issue again tonight. Will be getting off work soon, sure would be nice if it starts working again as I'll hate riding home(45 miles) with the hazards on..… boooooooo
Old 02-22-2012, 12:42 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
Had this same issue again tonight. Will be getting off work soon, sure would be nice if it starts working again as I'll hate riding home(45 miles) with the hazards on..… boooooooo
I saw on American muscle. They have a headlights switch repair plug or something...mine does it to but only if plug gets hot. So with out the heater on I can go for a hour straight before it starts dancing and then I have to hold brights on...I might be buying the repair plug or what ever it is...I've gone threw 3 switches
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50

I saw on American muscle. They have a headlights switch repair plug or something...mine does it to but only if plug gets hot. So with out the heater on I can go for a hour straight before it starts dancing and then I have to hold brights on...I might be buying the repair plug or what ever it is...I've gone threw 3 switches
I will have to look into that for sure. I actually got it working last night.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I will have to look into that for sure. I actually got it working last night.
Good luck!! If u get it and it works tell me
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
Old 02-25-2012, 08:33 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50

Good luck!! If u get it and it works tell me
I took it apart to return/exchange and found several of the connector pins were a little loose and or corroded. After messing with the pins(pushing them in, securing them) I now have it working. My plastic plug is disfigured in places, so I want to go to LKQ(a you pull it junk yard) and try to locate a new plug and as much harness as I can.

Is your plug melted or disfigured? Any exposed wiring with corrosion? Might be a good idea to use a tiny screw driver to push the pins down in the plug if you haven't done that.
Old 02-25-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I took it apart to return/exchange and found several of the connector pins were a little loose and or corroded. After messing with the pins(pushing them in, securing them) I now have it working. My plastic plug is disfigured in places, so I want to go to LKQ(a you pull it junk yard) and try to locate a new plug and as much harness as I can.

Is your plug melted or disfigured? Any exposed wiring with corrosion? Might be a good idea to use a tiny screw driver to push the pins down in the plug if you haven't done that.
My plug is black In some connection ports from it getting hot

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT