Pasti/Dip Durability - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Pasti/Dip Durability

Ok, I'll say I haven't been to much into this Plasti/Dip surge but about two months ago I painted my grille Pony black. Now it's starting to chip in places even though I sanded it first.

Do you guys n gals with Plasti experience think it would hold up better then if I re-painted it and maybe added a clear coat this time? All opinions welcome and thank you
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 02:16 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Pasti/Dip Durability

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Ok, I'll say I haven't been to much into this Plasti/Dip surge but about two months ago I painted my grille Pony black. Now it's starting to chip in places even though I sanded it first.

Do you guys n gals with Plasti experience think it would hold up better then if I re-painted it and maybe added a clear coat this time? All opinions welcome and thank you
While I'm not a Plasti-Dip fan by any means, the "rubbery coating may hold up better on a chromed grille Pony emblem.
You'd be amazed and horrified if you were able to see how many small rocks and other hard debris bombard the front of your car when driving it. That's where the chips come from.

I would not use a clear coat over the Plasti-Dip.
It will be harder than the rubber and tend to flake off quickly.
Just re-sand and clean the pony thoroughly before dipping.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

While I'm not a Plasti-Dip fan by any means, the "rubbery coating may hold up better on a chromed grille Pony emblem.
You'd be amazed and horrified if you were able to see how many small rocks and other hard debris bombard the front of your car when driving it. That's where the chips come from.

I would not use a clear coat over the Plasti-Dip.
It will be harder than the rubber and tend to flake off quickly.
Just re-sand and clean the pony thoroughly before dipping.
Ya no fan either, but like you said with the rocks and such... I drive 80+ miles round trip to work and back and all but two miles each way is highway or interstate so I encounter lots of debris lol
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 02:40 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
i saw in one thread they now have plasti dip clear coat.i dont know anything about it though.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 02:42 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
i saw in one thread they now have plasti dip clear coat.i dont know anything about it though.
I saw that as well, it's gloss black now, not sure if I care if it's flat or not lol
Old 01-15-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
As long as it is flexible and rubbery like the colors are it should be ok too.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:40 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

I figure since I have more experience than most on this site with Plasti dip. To answer both questions. The durability is amazing, just take your time when actually applying the stuff, more-so than paint. and go to DipYourCar Home - Plasti Dip For Your Car - Resources & More at DipYourCar.com NEW Glossifier and look at the options they have for the clear coats. As I am staying flat black, send an email out to Fonz, Fonzie@dipyourcar.com and ask him if he can give you an Idea on the durability of adding clear coat to your project.

Hope this helps

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:10 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless04GT
I figure since I have more experience than most on this site with Plasti dip. To answer both questions. The durability is amazing, just take your time when actually applying the stuff, more-so than paint. and go to DipYourCar Home - Plasti Dip For Your Car - Resources & More at DipYourCar.com NEW Glossifier and look at the options they have for the clear coats. As I am staying flat black, send an email out to Fonz, Fonzie@dipyourcar.com and ask him if he can give you an Idea on the durability of adding clear coat to your project.

Hope this helps
Great info! Thanks man!
Old 01-15-2012, 07:27 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Quote:

Hope this helps
I've been following your thread a little bit.nice work man.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
I've been following your thread a little bit.nice work man.
thanks... this damn fever or flu, whatever the hell it is keeps comin and goin but im at the point to where I need to get this finished. I have a photoshoot setup, and I have a few parts left to grab still. I am going back to red tail lights, and 3rd brake light, but i still need a v6 rear bumper, and some 20" tires 255 35 20 either 4 of, or 2 of those and 2 275 35 20. then the paint and everything else is finished.

My girl... ehh, cars never leave you! stick to cars!
My name is Josh, Whats yours?
Topless04GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2012, 07:35 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:

thanks... this damn fever or flu, whatever the hell it is keeps comin and goin but im at the point to where I need to get this finished. I have a photoshoot setup, and I have a few parts left to grab still. I am going back to red tail lights, and 3rd brake light, but i still need a v6 rear bumper, and some 20" tires 255 35 20 either 4 of, or 2 of those and 2 275 35 20. then the paint and everything else is finished.
alot of people would be scared to attempt what your doing.but hey it seems to be turning out good.cant wait to see the final product.good luck
Old 01-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

I had no idea they made so many different types of that stuff.Lot more to it now than when it started out.

I still don't think I'd use it on any vehicle's painted surfaces though.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT