bangin out - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-15-2012, 10:34 PM   #1

Region: Texas
Question bangin out

Yeah, being a newbie, I totally placed my post in the wrong section so now let me try again. My little 89 notch is bangin out, and what I mean by that is it's losing cylinders, popping and banging at wot under load. Doesn't do it in neutral. If I give it progressive throttle it starts laying down at about 2400 rpm under load. Checked timing and I've got it set at about 27 degrees total. Anything more or less and the motor is just sluggish or pops off idle. So I'm starting to suspect it's fuel delivery b/c of how it's acting. The car sat for nine years and I had to rebuild the short block due to a cracked deck from a cold winter with the incorrect coolant mixture. Anyhow I've purchased a 255 pump but I'm still running the stock regulator. Is it a good idea to run that pump with a stock regulator? The car is a work in progress and there is still alot of upgrades to bring my paticular combo to it's maximum potential. It ran pretty good b/f i run into this hiccup b/c it's the same combo I ran 9 years ago. Dreamstang suggested that I run a fuel pressure test to know for sure but I dont have a test gauge at this time. Any knowledge or feedback u guys can help me out with would be sweet.
JROCSTA89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: bangin out

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROCSTA89 View Post
Yeah, being a newbie, I totally placed my post in the wrong section so now let me try again. My little 89 notch is bangin out, and what I mean by that is it's losing cylinders, popping and banging at wot under load. Doesn't do it in neutral. If I give it progressive throttle it starts laying down at about 2400 rpm under load. Checked timing and I've got it set at about 27 degrees total. Anything more or less and the motor is just sluggish or pops off idle. So I'm starting to suspect it's fuel delivery b/c of how it's acting. The car sat for nine years and I had to rebuild the short block due to a cracked deck from a cold winter with the incorrect coolant mixture. Anyhow I've purchased a 255 pump but I'm still running the stock regulator. Is it a good idea to run that pump with a stock regulator? The car is a work in progress and there is still alot of upgrades to bring my paticular combo to it's maximum potential. It ran pretty good b/f i run into this hiccup b/c it's the same combo I ran 9 years ago. Dreamstang suggested that I run a fuel pressure test to know for sure but I dont have a test gauge at this time. Any knowledge or feedback u guys can help me out with would be sweet.
It sounds like you have a fuel delivery and/or a timing issue.
With the car sitting that long your tank could have rusted internally. Rust and old fuel could be gumming up the fuel filter and lines.
The 27 degrees total timing sounds a bit low for a N/A engine.
What is the timing at idle?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #3

Region: Texas

timing is 15 deg w/o spout and 27 w. tried setting it to 30 32 total and it was lame and popped on decel. had flushed tank and changed filter back in feb. when i got it running initially. Pump going weak mabey? accel good in neutral. have to progressively accel to drive it at all.
JROCSTA89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JROCSTA89 View Post
timing is 15 deg w/o spout and 27 w. tried setting it to 30 32 total and it was lame and popped on decel. had flushed tank and changed filter back in feb. when i got it running initially. Pump going weak mabey? accel good in neutral. have to progressively accel to drive it at all.
15 degrees BTDC is quite a bit of advance.
Try setting it at the factory spec of 10 degrees BTDC with the spout out, then re-install the spout and see what it does.

Just flushing the tank may have done you very little good.

With cars sitting not as long as yours even, I have had to completely remove the gas tank, put in some hot soapy water and a handful or two of 1" gravel and vigorously shake the tank in all positions, especially upside down as the rust will usually form on the top of the inside of the tank.

Then empty out the tank, rinse it out good and use an extendable mirror and flashlight to check the inside of the tank's condition and pray you don't have any pinholes.
Once the tank is dry if it has exhibited much rust from the inspection you may want to consider using a tank coating or lining to seal off any remaining rust or pinholes.

More than likely your fuel pump is going bad or is plugged up with rust and debris.
However I would not install a new one until I had cleaned and inspected the tank to ensure the new pump isn't damaged by any remaining debris.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT