front main seal - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2012, 01:25 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
front main seal

I plan on changing my front main seal Friday and was wondering if someone who has done this could tell me how to do so. I've never done anything like this and can't afford to see a mechanic and would rather do the work myself. Thanks.
FLAT BLACK GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: front main seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAT BLACK GT View Post
I plan on changing my front main seal Friday and was wondering if someone who has done this could tell me how to do so. I've never done anything like this and can't afford to see a mechanic and would rather do the work myself. Thanks.
The easiest way is to:
Step 1. Procure a Chilton's or Haynes manual for your car.
Step 2. Locate and follow the procedure therein.

It is a fairly simple procedure to R&R the front seal.
You can take the front timing cover off of the car, but with care and a bit of ingenuity you may be able to save some time and effort by carefully drilling some small holes in the metal part of the seal, thread in some screws and use them to pull the seal with the cover on the car. Usually one or two screws will suffice. Make sure you get the metal particles out of the cover. You can put some grease into the drill bit spirals and drill slowly to reduce the chance of chips getting into the oil pan.

I use a pair of vise grips that I replaced the adjustment screw with a piece of threaded rod. Then put a large socket or other weight with a hole in the center over the threaded rod and cap off the end of the rod with a washer and nut. This makes a redneck/shade tree slide hammer that will allow you to grip the screw heads and pop the seal out easily.

To replace it, find a large socket or piece of pipe that closely matches the O.D. of the seal and will fit over the crankshaft snout and use that to gently and carefully tap the seal back into place.

Remember to take care and remove any metal particles and be sure to lube the inside of the seal before installing.
If you elect to remove the front cover, don't forget to drain the antifreeze out first and be careful to not let anything fall into the oil pan.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 02:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Thank you Trojan horse I spent $230 for my tune up project so my car better love me. I also have a certified mechanic that will be helping me Friday so hopefully everything will go well but I'm sure as you know that's never garenteed lol
FLAT BLACK GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 02:53 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: front main seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAT BLACK GT View Post
Thank you Trojan horse I spent $230 for my tune up project so my car better love me. I also have a certified mechanic that will be helping me Friday so hopefully everything will go well but I'm sure as you know that's never garenteed lol
You're welcome.
Your mechanic should know exactly what to do.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

The easiest way is to:
Step 1. Procure a Chilton's or Haynes manual for your car.
Step 2. Locate and follow the procedure therein.

It is a fairly simple procedure to R&R the front seal.
You can take the front timing cover off of the car, but with care and a bit of ingenuity you may be able to save some time and effort by carefully drilling some small holes in the metal part of the seal, thread in some screws and use them to pull the seal with the cover on the car. Usually one or two screws will suffice. Make sure you get the metal particles out of the cover. You can put some grease into the drill bit spirals and drill slowly to reduce the chance of chips getting into the oil pan.

I use a pair of vise grips that I replaced the adjustment screw with a piece of threaded rod. Then put a large socket or other weight with a hole in the center over the threaded rod and cap off the end of the rod with a washer and nut. This makes a redneck/shade tree slide hammer that will allow you to grip the screw heads and pop the seal out easily.

To replace it, find a large socket or piece of pipe that closely matches the O.D. of the seal and will fit over the crankshaft snout and use that to gently and carefully tap the seal back into place.

Remember to take care and remove any metal particles and be sure to lube the inside of the seal before installing.
If you elect to remove the front cover, don't forget to drain the antifreeze out first and be careful to not let anything fall into the oil pan.
+1
FORDGT14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT