Signs of a bad oxygen sensor - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Signs of a bad oxygen sensor

In recent post I have talked about my idling problem and how it surges on a cold start and have to give it a little gas to keep it running sometime give it gas. I have bin looking around and it sounds to me
Like it can be a bad 02 I had a sct4 bank chip in my car and it started to have bad problems had to remove it. Doesnt the chip
Use the sensors?
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 08:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Might check ur MAF first. I'm sure u keep ur air cleaner clean.
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 08:17 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8
Might check ur MAF first. I'm sure u keep ur air cleaner clean.
Yea I I cleaned that already and I have a stock airbox with a kn drop in
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

DD?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
DD?
Yes my daily driver
Old 01-18-2012, 05:30 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Its an 04? Bad O2 sensor won't make it die, just run rich. Any codes?
Old 01-18-2012, 05:38 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Its an 04? Bad O2 sensor won't make it die, just run rich. Any codes?
My old car is the Mach one Iam talking about my fox the Mach was t-boned
Old 01-18-2012, 05:42 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Signs of a bad oxygen sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue View Post
In recent post I have talked about my idling problem and how it surges on a cold start and have to give it a little gas to keep it running sometime give it gas. I have bin looking around and it sounds to me
Like it can be a bad 02 I had a sct4 bank chip in my car and it started to have bad problems had to remove it. Doesnt the chip
Use the sensors?
If the chip controlled or altered the fuel mixture, then yes it probably used the input signals from the sensors.

O2 Sensor Testing
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

If the chip controlled or altered the fuel mixture, then yes it probably used the input signals from the sensors.

O2 Sensor Testing
Okay so if the sensors are bad then it could have made my car run like poo with the chip like it was backfiring through the intake every so often and would breaking up till rpms then clear out. I can't Check them now it's dark out
Old 01-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Okay so if the sensors are bad then it could have made my car run like poo with the chip like it was backfiring through the intake every so often and would breaking up till rpms then clear out. I can't Check them now it's dark out
Yes, I can see where that might happen with an improper fuel mixture and timing changes.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:03 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yes, I can see where that might happen with an improper fuel mixture and timing changes.
I took the chip out a while back but the car hasn't run right like it has problems when u first start it surges at idle and I have to give it gas and keep it high in the rpms for it to set idle
Old 01-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I took the chip out a while back but the car hasn't run right like it has problems when u first start it surges at idle and I have to give it gas and keep it high in the rpms for it to set idle
I had similar problems with a 95 Mustang I used to own.
After replacing the O2 sensors and tossing the Level 10 chip that came in the car it ran better. Still not 100%, but better than it did before.
However, it had a lot of mods and still needed tuning when I sold it, so I don't know for sure what other issues it had. I had spent over $1000 replacing bits and pieces and I just got tired of it.
So I sold it and bought my SC and the PMS for my 86 GT.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:02 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well I am hoping if replacing the 02 sensors will help my problem the sensor I can get extremely cheap so that isn't a problem Throwing parts at it but I am hoping solves my problem
Old 01-18-2012, 09:48 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well I am hoping if replacing the 02 sensors will help my problem the sensor I can get extremely cheap so that isn't a problem Throwing parts at it but I am hoping solves my problem
Test them first, but not knowing for sure how old they are new ones definitely won't hurt anything and they will probably provide a better signal to the ECU for better tuning anyways.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:15 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Also I don't have any check engine light on
Old 01-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Also I don't have any check engine light on
hmm normally a bad O2 sensor will cause a check engine light. u checked for codes?
think it could be timing?
Old 01-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

hmm normally a bad O2 sensor will cause a check engine light. u checked for codes?
think it could be timing?
Timing Is Spot on
Old 01-19-2012, 11:11 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue
Use the sensors?
The o2 sensors don't do anything on start up. They don't effect fuel until parameters are met example engine warm enough, cats warm enough. The engine has to be in "closed loop" for the ECM to change fuel according to the o2 sensors. Check the IAC (Idle Air Control) its right at the throttle body. The IAC is probly dirty or stuck.
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:19 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Oh ya I forgot that o2 sensors have to be warmed up to work.
Old 01-19-2012, 11:32 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
They read the air fuel ratio from start but ECU doesn't do anything until closed loop.
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:54 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT

The o2 sensors don't do anything on start up. They don't effect fuel until parameters are met example engine warm enough, cats warm enough. The engine has to be in "closed loop" for the ECM to change fuel according to the o2 sensors. Check the IAC (Idle Air Control) its right at the throttle body. The IAC is probly dirty or stuck.
Bin there done that months ago
Old 01-20-2012, 12:59 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT
They read the air fuel ratio from start but ECU doesn't do anything until closed loop.
They can't. They have to b warmed up. Look up on how to test them. U have to heat it up first to a certain temp.
At start the ECU uses a default a/f mixture untill the o2 sensor is giving a voltage within the expected range but if after a certain amount of time if voltage does not reach expected, it sends a code and defaults to a slightly rich mixture. This is how it works on every car as far as I know. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Uve checked ur spark plugs? Wires? Connection? Sorry I haven't read any of ur other threads, only this one. Could u send me a link or describe in the best detail the problem? Or is this all u know so far?

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

Checked ur distributor and cap?
Old 01-20-2012, 02:01 AM   #23
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8 View Post
They can't. They have to b warmed up. Look up on how to test them. U have to heat it up first to a certain temp.
At start the ECU uses a default a/f mixture untill the o2 sensor is giving a voltage within the expected range but if after a certain amount of time if voltage does not reach expected, it sends a code and defaults to a slightly rich mixture. This is how it works on every car as far as I know. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:50 PM ----------

Uve checked ur spark plugs? Wires? Connection? Sorry I haven't read any of ur other threads, only this one. Could u send me a link or describe in the best detail the problem? Or is this all u know so far?

---------- Post added at 10:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:55 PM ----------

If the O2 sensors are bad though, they could be sending an erratic or false signal at almost any time the engine is started up. Also some are "preheated" to come on line quicker when starting up. Not sure when those first came into use though.
Old 01-20-2012, 06:32 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have check the voltage of the maf , cap and rotor are fine, has brand new plugs,
Old 01-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Plus 1 to IAC, also possibly the EGR Valve?

But yea spray some carb cleaner on the IAC, theres probably alotta gunk buildup that can cause surges
07 TBSS - CURRENT
Fredfifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:04 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredfifty
Plus 1 to IAC, also possibly the EGR Valve?

But yea spray some carb cleaner on the IAC, theres probably alotta gunk buildup that can cause surges
The egr system is taken off the car
Old 01-20-2012, 01:08 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Oh have u replaced the pcv valve?
Old 01-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Oh have u replaced the pcv valve?
Yup I have
Old 01-21-2012, 04:50 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Fuel injector cleaner?

---------- Post added at 02:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:47 AM ----------

That's probably not the problem though. With the information given, I'm running out of answers for you. It seems like you are getting fuel but its not igniting everytime, then when it does it "up" fires. Does this sound right?
Old 01-21-2012, 11:01 AM   #30
Road Trip!
Supporter

I hope this hasn't been suggested previously, but have you checked the O-ring seals on your injectors?A vacuum leak there is hard to find and can cause problems.
Maybe they leak when they are cold and shrunken, then expand and seal up when warm?
Old 01-24-2012, 03:17 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

If you haven't already replace the oxygen sensors, if you get them at a great price, it doesn't hurt to do it, and if still does it, then it can't be the sensors. Either way, new parts like that are always good.

I think it could be a tune/computer issue. Since the car isn't calibrated to your mods, the computer is most likely using the default stock tune at startup, and because of the differences, the car will want to stall before you rev it long enough for the computer to realize it needs to adjust for the mods to run correctly (well correctly enough).

I'd say clean the IAC, and then if that doesn't work, I'd say get a tune.
1997 Ford Mustang GT (Rio Red) (RMR #7832)

2003 Ford Mustang GT Centennial Edition (Black) (SOLD)
2004 Ford Mustang GT (Redfire) (SOLD)
1985 Chevrolet C10 Custom Deluxe (Red) (SOLD)
TheJigShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 01:08 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

FYI guys today the temp. Is almost 50 degrees and it it doesn't seem half as bad
Old 01-24-2012, 02:34 PM   #33
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
FYI guys today the temp. Is almost 50 degrees and it it doesn't seem half as bad
Hmmm, That makes me wonder about your IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor?
Old 01-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hmmm, That makes me wonder about your IAT (Intake Air Temperature) sensor?
Did that the other day, I herd rumors of coolant temp sensor causing surging idle

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT