Car died ? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Car died ?

My 87 died just now waiting for the tow to come. I was driving to school and Rpms dropped to zero and car died. The car will turn over good just wont start. So now im stuck. Cars been running great lately especially in the cold. I'm thinking a bad TFi anyone who may know different let me know wanna fix it ASAP. And is there a way to test for a bad TFi
Cm644rodrigues is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2012, 02:39 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Car died ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm644rodrigues View Post
My 87 died just now waiting for the tow to come. I was driving to school and Rpms dropped to zero and car died. The car will turn over good just wont start. So now im stuck. Cars been running great lately especially in the cold. I'm thinking a bad TFi anyone who may know different let me know wanna fix it ASAP. And is there a way to test for a bad TFi
How to Test The TFI Module & Hall Sensor
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

So do I have to replace the grey bolt in plug if it's bad or is the TGIF internal?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cm644rodrigues
So do I have to replace the grey bolt in plug if it's bad or is the TGIF internal?
It's the grey module that you would replace.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Cool think I have a few laying around
Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Any luck yet? If it cranks check to see if you have fuel. Try to listen for the fuel pump if you can't hear it just spray some brake clean or something similar down the throttle body. If it starts and runs for a little you have a fuel issue. If that's not the case check spark.
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Check the tab and tad solenoids. when mine went out, they also fried my computer. Same symptoms.
Kjohnson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjohnson1 View Post
Check the tab and tad solenoids. when mine went out, they also fried my computer. Same symptoms.
Wow, how did they do that, short out?

If you are not using the smog pump and catalytic converters, you can disable the TAB/TAD solenoids.
To prevent the ECU from throwing a code you use these Resistors

For more information check out - TAD/TAB 1 & TAD/TAB 2
Old 01-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Wow, how did they do that, short out?

If you are not using the smog pump and catalytic converters, you can disable the TAB/TAD solenoids.
To prevent the ECU from throwing a code you use these Resistors

For more information check out - TAD/TAB 1 & TAD/TAB 2
I didn't test them after they failed. But im sure they had to short out. I did trace the wires for the TAB and TAD and found they were not fused. I fried a total of two computers before I found the problem. I had a guy with a Ford Breakout box come over and he found the problem. After i took the computers apart, i could see where the exact pin for the TAB and TAD had burned the computer board.

Same car as the post starter too. 1987 GT. I was driving and the car just shut down in the middle of the road.
Kjohnson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjohnson1 View Post
I didn't test them after they failed. But im sure they had to short out. I did trace the wires for the TAB and TAD and found they were not fused. I fried a total of two computers before I found the problem. I had a guy with a Ford Breakout box come over and he found the problem. After i took the computers apart, i could see where the exact pin for the TAB and TAD had burned the computer board.

Same car as the post starter too. 1987 GT. I was driving and the car just shut down in the middle of the road.
Thank you!
That's more info I can add to my ever growing knowledge base.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT