New mods and need help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-19-2012, 07:13 PM   #1

Region: New York
New mods and need help

So I have an 88 mustang gt basically stock engine with an upgraded tranny and clutch. I would like to make it around 400-500 horse I'm just not sure of the best route to take? I'm getting married in June so I'm trying not to spend a ton all at once and I'm not sure if this is even possible. I'm open to all ideas or even someone selling parts. Also I'm looking for a crowl induction hood I currently have a fiberglass Mach one hood just looking for a different style. Thanks for your help guys!!
Switchon112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: New mods and need help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchon112 View Post
So I have an 88 mustang gt basically stock engine with an upgraded tranny and clutch. I would like to make it around 400-500 horse I'm just not sure of the best route to take? I'm getting married in June so I'm trying not to spend a ton all at once and I'm not sure if this is even possible. I'm open to all ideas or even someone selling parts. Also I'm looking for a crowl induction hood I currently have a fiberglass Mach one hood just looking for a different style. Thanks for your help guys!!
My 86 GT has around 405 FWHP.
It took close to or maybe a bit over $4k to get it there over 10 years ago.
Nitrous would get you there quicker and cheaper, but your engine likely won't hold up long doing that.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
If you want 400-500hp you'll need HCI swap with a stroker kit or new shortblock or HCI swap supercharger but your looking $5,000-$8,000 if your doing all at once !!!

---------- Post added at 08:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:36 PM ----------

I'm only gonna be around 300wrhp and I have $4,500 just in motor that's now my exhaust and odds and ends
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2012, 07:52 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

My 86 GT has around 405 FWHP.
It took close to or maybe a bit over $4k to get it there over 10 years ago.
Nitrous would get you there quicker and cheaper, but your engine likely won't hold up long doing that.
Engine will do just fine with nitro IF tuned right for it! When nitro is added a lot of people don't do anything to counteract it.
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #5

I was told now correct me if I'm wrong. To go with a b303 cam with injectors and a supercharger and that would sit me around 400 which is really all I need/want it's my Sunday driver I honestly baby it for the most part it's just the idea of having the power. I currently have flow master exhaust without cats and I like the sound I would prefer it louder but wasn't sure if I wanted it to go straight back
Old 01-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT View Post
Engine will do just fine with nitro IF tuned right for it! When nitro is added a lot of people don't do anything to counteract it.
I'm very familiar with nitrous and well aware of the hazards of not tuning properly.
Tuning is one of the most important aspects of nitrous and forced induction.
Another important aspect is making sure the engine's bottom end rotating components are up to the task.

Stock 5.0 engines were designed from the factory for 215-300 HP max.
Once you throw another 75-100+ HP at it, things will begin to fail.
I have personally witnessed the engine carnage that can result from improper tuning and too much HP on stock components.
It ain't pretty.

P.S. Just so you know, "Nitro" is something totally different from nitrous oxide.
Old 01-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I was told now correct me if I'm wrong. To go with a b303 cam with injectors and a supercharger and that would sit me around 400 which is really all I need/want it's my Sunday driver I honestly baby it for the most part it's just the idea of having the power. I currently have flow master exhaust without cats and I like the sound I would prefer it louder but wasn't sure if I wanted it to go straight back
I don't think so.
The supercharger isn't going to do you much good without numerous supporting mods. Most of what I have seen on SC manufacturer's websites runs from 35- 75 HP gains on stock 5.0 engines.

See the "In the beginning" sticky thread for advice on where to start.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:01 PM   #8
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Switchon112
F303 cam is better for a s/c.very shortly(hopefully) will find out how the b303 works with a s/c.I heard its ok but better for NA motors.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 10:33 PM   #9

Thanks guys! I looked at the "in the begining" sticky and it helps a lot. I guess what I need to do is the basic mods. I would like to get tuned properly but not even close to sure where to go for something like that I live in east aurora. Which is outside of buffalo ny. I would like to stay "American muscle without spending 4 grand all at once it's my baby ill have her forever and I want to build her over time it's the process that is the fun part. I've already had my stang for going on my 4th season! It's great. I have the world class t5 tranny with a stage 4 ram clutch. So that should hold what I need to do I say 400-500 very lose I basically would want anything noticeable than what I have now. And sound or the growl is my favorite part not even so much the lower I just like it to be jumpy when I want and when I'm going 65 or cruising to be able to punch it and still have "guts". Hopefully this helps realistically right how I don't want to spend more than $1500-2000 I feel like a cam,heads, and intake would make a change? And what about a throttle body? I don't even know what that does honestly should I change it? Is it hard to do lol? I work on all my cars now and I'm mechanically inclined I've just never done one before. Sorry for the book guys and thanks for all the help!
Old 01-19-2012, 10:47 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
The best thing to do is plan where you want to go with the motor before you start getting crazy.so u can start with all your basics first.then the decision of NA or s/ced is gonna play a role in your cam,head, injector size fuel pump etc decisions.so it is better to know what u want before u buy parts that will later need changed.so while your working on the basics get a good game plan.

most guys like to do rear gears first.very noticable in performance.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

I'm very familiar with nitrous and well aware of the hazards of not tuning properly.
Tuning is one of the most important aspects of nitrous and forced induction.
Another important aspect is making sure the engine's bottom end rotating components are up to the task.

Stock 5.0 engines were designed from the factory for 215-300 HP max.
Once you throw another 75-100+ HP at it, things will begin to fail.
I have personally witnessed the engine carnage that can result from improper tuning and too much HP on stock components.
It ain't pretty.

P.S. Just so you know, "Nitro" is something totally different from nitrous oxide.
P.S. people refer to them as the same thing! is it a PTO or a PTU!? they can take more then 300 w/o issue of tuned!
Bought for $2200,Had 97K miles,New fuel tank,New driver front hub,New pass ball joint,New alt, New battery,New fog lights,New plastic bezel shifter,Fixed check engine light,New tires,Coolant flush,Magnaflow exhaust. Its starting to come together towards stock THEN I will make it go FAST!
94 Mustang GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 01:50 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94 Mustang GT View Post
P.S. people refer to them as the same thing! is it a PTO or a PTU!? they can take more then 300 w/o issue of tuned!
Well if they do I'm sorry, but "people" are wrong.
They are not the same thing by any means.
But I really don't care other than it is not a correct reference and could be confusing. We strive for accuracy to keep our members as well informed as possible.

Yes, the stock bottom end can take more abuse than 300 HP worth, but usually not for very long, so why take a chance. The stock 5.0 has minuscule rod bolts torqued to laughably low specs, two bolt main bearings, etc., etc.. All of which can and do fail when over stressed. However, it's amazing what you can get away with sometimes. The key word being "sometimes". I just want to help him build a reliable, fun to drive Mustang that he can enjoy for years to come.

Besides I based my answer and statements on Switchon112's initial post and him saying he didn't want to spend a ton of money and another where he said he wants to keep it forever.
That's what I had in mind when I made my post.
Peace.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:58 AM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks guys! I looked at the "in the begining" sticky and it helps a lot. I guess what I need to do is the basic mods. I would like to get tuned properly but not even close to sure where to go for something like that I live in east aurora. Which is outside of buffalo ny. I would like to stay "American muscle without spending 4 grand all at once it's my baby ill have her forever and I want to build her over time it's the process that is the fun part. I've already had my stang for going on my 4th season! It's great. I have the world class t5 tranny with a stage 4 ram clutch. So that should hold what I need to do I say 400-500 very lose I basically would want anything noticeable than what I have now. And sound or the growl is my favorite part not even so much the lower I just like it to be jumpy when I want and when I'm going 65 or cruising to be able to punch it and still have "guts". Hopefully this helps realistically right how I don't want to spend more than $1500-2000 I feel like a cam,heads, and intake would make a change? And what about a throttle body? I don't even know what that does honestly should I change it? Is it hard to do lol? I work on all my cars now and I'm mechanically inclined I've just never done one before. Sorry for the book guys and thanks for all the help!

When I have some time I will look up the parts making up my engine and post the list here for you if you wish?
It has a Keith Craft Racing short block and other goodies that enable it to produce power in the lower range of what you want without using nitrous or forced induction.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:02 PM   #14

Thanks so much Trojan!! I appreciate it all everyone. I mean I want to build my car right. I also understand this is a process over time so I'm setting budget plans to make it so I don't spend every penny I have. So I plan on putting money in it every year it's cherry and never seen a winter and has "0" I mean ZERO rust! So it's worth both time and money I would love advise and a list of parts/prices or even a call from someone for some guidence. 716-574-1277

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT