Getting away from E303 cam... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 22
Getting away from E303 cam...

I would really like to change my e303 cam to a lunati cam but have a few questions. First of all has anyone ever run a lunati voodoo cam on a stock bottom end 302? Can it be done? I'm wondering if I could run the smallest voodoo cam with my trickflow twisted wedge heads.
I am also interested to know if I must replace my roller rockers and lifters with a cam change. Car was built about 20k miles ago and the e cam is a little boring with its narrow power band and I want a cam with more low and midrange torque. Any suggestions and help are appreciated, whether it's recommending a cam itself or on what I'll need to replace when swapping cams, thanks.
Beastynotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
captain78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 851
I have a luniti voodoo cam in my 302 stock bottom in with AFR heads edlebrock intake and a 650cfm edlebrock carb. In my 77 runs great I love it I'm not running the roller cam tho. 1.6 rockers. And the voodoo is far from the smallest they got. Hooker long tubes 3in pipe to the warlock mufflers and 3 in dumps. Sounds and lopes great running smooth all the way through. I Also have 3:90 gears and a C4 with 2500 stall. I love my voodoo. But on my 90 GT. I'm looking at either a comp cam custom or f303. With stock bottom with my afr heads 1.6 rockers. And debating S/C
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Getting away from E303 cam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastynotch View Post
I would really like to change my e303 cam to a lunati cam but have a few questions. First of all has anyone ever run a lunati voodoo cam on a stock bottom end 302? Can it be done? I'm wondering if I could run the smallest voodoo cam with my trickflow twisted wedge heads.
I am also interested to know if I must replace my roller rockers and lifters with a cam change. Car was built about 20k miles ago and the e cam is a little boring with its narrow power band and I want a cam with more low and midrange torque. Any suggestions and help are appreciated, whether it's recommending a cam itself or on what I'll need to replace when swapping cams, thanks.
Is the Voodoo cam even a roller cam?


Go to CamQuest and input your engine specs.
It will help you choose the correct cam for the mods you have.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
captain78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 851
I haven't seen a roller voodoo hince why I'm goin with another. But hey if you find one let me know
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 22
Yeah the Lunati website has a line of hydraulic roller tappet voodoo cams for 302/351w. I know the voodoo cam isn't their smallest cam, I was saying that I would want to run their smallest voodoo cam in my setup because I wanna avoid changing/altering pistons and/or valve springs and stuff. The voodoo 61010 cam has an awesome power band and torque curve and that's what I'm looking to get back. The e303 cam just doesn't have enough low end torque for me, power really doesn't come on until around 2700-3200 rpms.
Beastynotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:01 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Getting away from E303 cam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78 View Post
I haven't seen a roller voodoo hince why I'm goin with another. But hey if you find one let me know
I looked, they are all flat tappet that I found.
I sure wouldn't go backwards and install one in a roller cam engine.

EDIT: I was in the wrong area, found them here - Voodoo Hydraulic Roller
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Getting away from E303 cam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastynotch View Post
Yeah the Lunati website has a line of hydraulic roller tappet voodoo cams for 302/351w. I know the voodoo cam isn't their smallest cam, I was saying that I would want to run their smallest voodoo cam in my setup because I wanna avoid changing/altering pistons and/or valve springs and stuff. The voodoo 61010 cam has an awesome power band and torque curve and that's what I'm looking to get back. The e303 cam just doesn't have enough low end torque for me, power really doesn't come on until around 2700-3200 rpms.
You should probably stay at or under .500 lift to ensure clearance.
The 601010 has .541/.549 lift which is close to the X303 Ford cam's lift.
If you decide to go with it a piston/valve clearance check might save you some grief.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:48 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Wisconsin
Posts: 22
If I change from my e303 cam to a different cam will I need to change roller rockers again or just lifters? I've already got 1.6 roller rockers now so if there is no benefit to putting new ones on I'd just assume save the money.
Beastynotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 09:58 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Getting away from E303 cam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastynotch View Post
If I change from my e303 cam to a different cam will I need to change roller rockers again or just lifters? I've already got 1.6 roller rockers now so if there is no benefit to putting new ones on I'd just assume save the money.
Just the lifters, however inspect the RR arms to ensure there are no flat spots on the rollers or other damage.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 10:49 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
stampde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Manalapan
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 1,880
Re: Getting away from E303 cam...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
I looked, they are all flat tappet that I found.
I sure wouldn't go backwards and install one in a roller cam engine.

EDIT: I was in the wrong area, found them here - Voodoo Hydraulic Roller
+1+1+1+1+1
__________________
2011 GT Auto
stampde is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cam help NateNasty 1979-1995 Mustang GT 3 01-13-2012 07:07 PM
cam gear spacer duffeycycles Classic Mustangs 2 12-03-2011 09:45 PM
Rebuilt aoed, cam question Schlahty 1996-2004 Mustang GT 0 11-10-2011 03:11 PM
Will GT40 Heads Handle A Big Cam?? 90Stang_5.0 1979-1995 Mustang GT 27 11-02-2011 04:12 AM
Cam Jesse Bach General Car Discussion 2 08-01-2011 02:37 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



07:49 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.