Exhaust system swap problem - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-22-2012, 06:12 PM   #1

Region: California
Exhaust system swap problem

Disclaimer: This is more of a rant than a question.

I bought my 87 LX with a "straight" H pipe on it, no catalytic converters. I was trying to re-install the factory setup with the 4 cats in it so I will have a chance at passing smog.

I managed to get all of the bolts out of the H pipe, but one end of it, where it attaches to the muffler, will not come loose. It's like it welded itself together. I pushed on it, pulled, swore, pried with a screwdriver, and then finally beat on it with a hammer. During all of which I kept a close eye on my jackstands to see if I was about to be crushed to death.

Long story short, I bolted the other side (H pipe to muffler) back up, as it had come completely loose, and hand-threaded the 02 sensors. I am taking the %^%^#$% thing to a muffler shop. I expect they will ahve a torch to get the thing loose. And, of course, they have a lift for the vehicle, so they will actually be able to see what the %$^#%^ they are doing.

And I thought this would be a quick, easy job . . .

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.
Buckallred is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
get some liquid wrench it helped me when i did mine
351mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 07:47 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Exhaust system swap problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351mustanggt View Post
get some liquid wrench it helped me when i did mine
+1 Soaking the threads frequently for a few days ahead of time will usually do the trick.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 07:56 PM   #4

The bolts are all loose. The actual pipes are fused together and I can't get them loose.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckallred View Post
The bolts are all loose. The actual pipes are fused together and I can't get them loose.
There I go again.
Eventually I'll learn to read better and pay more attention to what I read.

I have been able to loosen pipe connections by tapping around them with a small hammer for the full length of the insertion depth and circumference and spraying the joint with a good chemical based penetrant. (The chemical based penetrants seem to do a better job of breaking up the rust.)

You don't want to beat dimples in the pipe, just hit it hard enough to dislodge the rust and stretch the pipe a bit.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
hmm if its off the hanger for the hpipe maybe take a 4-5 lb hammer to break it loose. should be able to hit it with it on the ground so no worries of it falling.
351mustanggt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 08:13 PM   #7

Update: i bolted a single pipe back to the muffler pipe. The other is "welded" together. I did not bolt the pipes back to the headers.. I finger- threaded the O2 sensors back in.

I plan on driving the car to a nearby muffler shop.. But when I cranked the thing to move it in my driveway, it ran like ****, died, and almost would not start back up.

Is that because of the O2 sensors? Do you think it will make it to a nearby muffler shop?

So much for an easy project. . .
Old 01-22-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckallred
Update: i bolted a single pipe back to the muffler pipe. The other is "welded" together. I did not bolt the pipes back to the headers.. I finger- threaded the O2 sensors back in.

I plan on driving the car to a nearby muffler shop.. But when I cranked the thing to move it in my driveway, it ran like ****, died, and almost would not start back up.

Is that because of the O2 sensors? Do you think it will make it to a nearby muffler shop?

I would try tightening every thing down the right way the. Try starting it again!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 09:16 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckallred View Post

If you have an exhaust leak in front of the O2 sensor it won't run right.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Tags
exhaust