Thermostat 92 LX 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-23-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Region: Michigan
Thermostat 92 LX 5.0

I'm a bit ashamed to say this thing is kicking my behind.

Car was running a little cool so I decided to go with a new t-stat for the winter. Finally got the housing off only to find the old t-stat was installed with the spring facing the front of the car and the point in the engine facing the firewall, which I believe is backwards, yes?

Smeared a bit of rtv on the new gasket, then had all hell kinds of trouble getting that bottom right bolt started, enough to where I suspect the rtv had dried before I got the housing reinstalled. I didn't put any RTV where the t-stat sits in the housing either, so I suspect it may have moved out of the housing because I had a coolant leak from the bottom of the housing when I got it reinstalled.

Took it back apart and, with all the dried RTV on it, just decided to get a new gasket. I'll be getting that later today. Before I put it all back together, I just thought I'd see if 1. the thermostat is indeed to be installed with the spring in the engine facing the firewall (my t-stat doesn't specify direction), and 2. if there are any secrets from those who've worked on these engines more than I for getting this put back together without leaks, and without skinning my fingers getting that lower right housing bolt going.

There was no leak before, and I did clean both surfaces (the housing and the intake) before reinstalling.

Tips/suggestions? Thanks for the help!

1992 5.0L Convertible
Chwriting is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 11:20 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Thermostat 92 LX 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chwriting View Post
I'm a bit ashamed to say this thing is kicking my behind.

Car was running a little cool so I decided to go with a new t-stat for the winter. Finally got the housing off only to find the old t-stat was installed with the spring facing the front of the car and the point in the engine facing the firewall, which I believe is backwards, yes?

Smeared a bit of rtv on the new gasket, then had all hell kinds of trouble getting that bottom right bolt started, enough to where I suspect the rtv had dried before I got the housing reinstalled. I didn't put any RTV where the t-stat sits in the housing either, so I suspect it may have moved out of the housing because I had a coolant leak from the bottom of the housing when I got it reinstalled.

Took it back apart and, with all the dried RTV on it, just decided to get a new gasket. I'll be getting that later today. Before I put it all back together, I just thought I'd see if 1. the thermostat is indeed to be installed with the spring in the engine facing the firewall (my t-stat doesn't specify direction), and 2. if there are any secrets from those who've worked on these engines more than I for getting this put back together without leaks, and without skinning my fingers getting that lower right housing bolt going.

There was no leak before, and I did clean both surfaces (the housing and the intake) before reinstalling.

Tips/suggestions? Thanks for the help!
Yes the "spring" or sensor end needs to be installed into the engine's coolant passage so it can properly sense the coolant temperature.
Make sure you don't block off the small "weep" hole in the thermostat plate with silicone.
Take a flat file and go over the housing gasket surface to ensure it is flat.
There is a small groove in the housing that the thermostat sits in make sure it is cleaned out.
Put the thermostat in the housing groove, then the gasket should go on next. It will help hold the thermostat in place.
If you elect to use silicone (I always do.) spread it on thinly and allow it to skin over before bolting down the housing.
Take care when tightening down the housing. It is easy to tighten it too much and break off the housing "ears".
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:32 PM   #3

Crazy question; the belt on this car has been rerouted to bypass the smog pump. I can't remember the exact routing but could it be set up to run the water pump backwards, reversing coolant flow? I'll be back at the garage this eve to take a closer look, never paid much attention to the routing or the WP for that matter. Can't imagine a water pump working backwards.

1992 5.0L Convertible
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chwriting View Post
Crazy question; the belt on this car has been rerouted to bypass the smog pump. I can't remember the exact routing but could it be set up to run the water pump backwards, reversing coolant flow? I'll be back at the garage this eve to take a closer look, never paid much attention to the routing or the WP for that matter. Can't imagine a water pump working backwards.
Water pumps on these cars are reverse rotation.
The impeller is reversed for this.
If you try to run them in the other direction they won't pump any coolant.
Old 01-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I stopped using silicone years ago. This is much better.

http://www.permatex.com/products/aut..._2_Sealant.htm

Leave the silicone for sealing your shower and windows around the house.
Kjohnson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 09:20 AM   #6

Thanks for the tips--all is well that ends well. Got a new gasket just to make sure I didn't biff the old one and after a little struggle with that lower housing bolt (shame on the Ford engineer who couldn't find a couple extra millimeters of space to get at that fastener) I'm back on the road with a 5.0 that actually gets to operating temperature without hemmoraging coolant. I suspect the thermostat must've slipped out of the housing a bit when I installed the first time.

Usually for work like this (aluminum, one bolt per side mating to a flat surface) I start both bolts and torque down each side in sequence to ensure a properly aligned fit. However, becase that bottom bolt was such a PITA I found it helpful to line up the housing via eyeball, torque down the upper left bolt reasonably tight, then start the lower bolt. The trick is to have the housing lined up with the bottom threads so the bolt doesn't cross thread, which can be dicey since you can't really see that bottom hole at all. Pay attention to the location of the housing before you take it off, then get it back in that position and torque down the upper left bolt. Once I did that, the hardest part was wiggling my fingers down to the lower right bolt. Without the housing moving around, I was able to turn the bolt in pretty easily, all things considered.

Didn't find much in the archives (here or elsewhere) about getting that lower bolt back in, other than prayer and lots of cursing. Hope this description helps the next generation!

And with that, I'm off to the Rally America Sno-Drift Not racing, just spectating but it should still be quite the adventure for a Mustang.

1992 5.0L Convertible
Old 01-24-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

One "trick" I've used successfully is to cut a slot in the top of the bolt head with a hacksaw and use a flat screwdriver to help start and run down the bolts if they are hard to get your fingers on. Then once they are snugged down you can finish tightening them with a wrench.

Some people make a big deal of how Mustangs are so helpless in the snow. I've never found that to be an issue with the proper tires and a bit of weight in the trunk. Combine that with some common sense and careful driving and you shouldn't have any problems. Enjoy your trip.

Here is a tale of one of my winter driving experiences in a Mustang.

Years ago I owned a 1969 Mustang GT with a 351W and 3-speed manual transmission. As my only car it was driven in all kinds of weather. In the winter I ran studded snow tires and put some sand bags in the trunk for added weight and to put sand under the tires if I happened to get stuck.

My grandmother lived about 3 miles out of town and her driveway was fairly steep and about an 1/8 of a mile long going up the hill. Four wheel drive trucks were still a relatively "new" thing back then (late 70's early 80's) and two of my uncles and one cousin had recently purchased one each.

Now pretty much everyone else in my family were die hard Chevrolet fans and I had to endure a lot of teasing and ribbing about my Fords. I had called to check on my grandmother during a winter storm and one of my uncles answered the phone. I was told, "You just better stay in town. The hill is so slick with snow and ice we couldn't even make it up here in our four wheel drive pickups and we had to walk up the hill." What was that? A challenge?

Of course I could not resist and immediately went out and warmed up the 69 GT. I didn't have any trouble getting out of my driveway and headed out to grandma's. When I arrived, sure enough there were three shiny new Chevrolet pickups setting off to the side at the bottom of the hill that was grandma's driveway. As I came upon the driveway, I shifted into second gear and made a long looping turn into the driveway, then being careful not to overpower the tires and lose what little traction, I had the Mustang and I just chug a lugged right on up the hill with no problem. Did I mention that there was no problem parking as there were plenty of open spaces?

I got out of the car and walked into the house. Of course the first thing I heard was, "It's sure cold walking up that hill isn't it?" To which I replied, I didn't walk I rode, you boys forget that I drive a FORD!" They all jumped up en mass and went out the door to see if I was telling the truth. I have often wished I had, had a video camera so I could have recorded their looks of stunned disbelief. Needless to say the teasing target switched sides that day and I thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT