5.0 Tuning Solutions - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-15-2007, 12:38 AM   #1
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: California
Send a message via AIM to Thomas91169
5.0 Tuning Solutions

My buddy is looking into getting his fathers modded '89 5.0 back to California, all he would pay for is shipping.

It has a ****load of mods (GT40 heads, E303 cam, Headers/full exhaust, Powerdyne SC @ 6psi, built rear and tranny iirc) but has never been tuned, and is making a really weak 310whp for that setup. were hoping to get it and get it running up to par, something is fishy about the car.

If anyone has a quick rundown of devices, products or ways of tuning these cars that would be awesome. i know theres twEECer and i think some other thing called PMS, but thats about it. Thanks in advance.

1998 Eclipse GST Spyder - 14b turbo | 3" Catback | Evo8 BoV | 170fwhp if that

2003 Redfire Cobra - 448whp/435wtq - Sold
Thomas91169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2007, 06:56 AM   #2
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64
Re: 5.0 Tuning Solutions

Take it to a pro and have them do it on a dyno.
Old 11-26-2007, 09:14 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama

yeah I've come to understand that you don't want to try to learn to do tuning on your own with a boosted application... if you go that route i'd pull the charger for a year or so until you get comfortable with what your doing.

93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2007, 09:17 PM   #4
15.3 Second V8 Killer Yo
Legacy
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via AIM to PureVenom Send a message via MSN to PureVenom Send a message via Yahoo to PureVenom

I sense some DSM talk coming.
Old 11-26-2007, 11:39 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

:shrugs:

93 mustang notch
Old 11-27-2007, 01:01 AM   #6
Legacy Member
Legacy

1) not my car, and i was not planning on tuning it.

2) its not that hard.

3) once again, ignorance striketh the mustang world. What makes you people really think "taking it to the dyno" is always the best choice? from what ive seen, its not.

if more people got into it and stopped listening to the "take it to a dyno" naysayers, we might have more options than these ghetto handhelds and basic piggyback style crapola.

4) what i really want to know is, what is needed for said "Shops" to be able to tune the car? i know they would need some sort of chip to flash the tune on, i dont think you can just reflash the stock ecu and thats that. thats the main part of this thread.

guess not, seems ME is another site light on the knowledge base, especially the 5.0 section.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:48 AM   #7
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Texas
Send a message via AIM to bbunt302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
1) not my car, and i was not planning on tuning it.

2) its not that hard.

3) once again, ignorance striketh the mustang world. What makes you people really think "taking it to the dyno" is always the best choice? from what ive seen, its not.

if more people got into it and stopped listening to the "take it to a dyno" naysayers, we might have more options than these ghetto handhelds and basic piggyback style crapola.

4) what i really want to know is, what is needed for said "Shops" to be able to tune the car? i know they would need some sort of chip to flash the tune on, i dont think you can just reflash the stock ecu and thats that. thats the main part of this thread.

guess not, seems ME is another site light on the knowledge base, especially the 5.0 section.
Or all the 5.0 guys think you're a jackass and don't care to help.

That said... If it is "not that hard", you should already know the answer yourself.

Scary stuff.
bbunt302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #8
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbunt302 View Post
Or all the 5.0 guys think you're a jackass and don't care to help.

That said... If it is "not that hard", you should already know the answer yourself.
:yank:

Old 11-28-2007, 09:45 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

I see i've completely wasted my time here

I'll admit to not knowing **** about ECC tuning with fox fords, but most of the solutions are ****, most of which require spending way more time than I'd like to to learn in order to be sucessful. if I had what GM does, maybe my opinion would be alot better, but im not software engineer and I really don't want to bother with all the half *** supported **** out there like The TwEECer -- EEC-IV user programmable module and PMS

if you wanna know more I can point you into the right direction. but personally your friends car has major problems, more so than any tune will take care of... and the fact that you are so negligent to see that makes me wonder if your not just another member of the "5.0 section" , "another site light on the knowledge base."

93 mustang notch
Old 11-29-2007, 12:38 AM   #10
Legacy Member
Legacy

my main concern is the fact it has zero tune whatsoever. he has larger injectors, larger maf, all this airflow and nothing telling the ecu to compensate for any of it. even some sort of mail order chip would be a feasible option at this point.

wont know until after xmas if he is getting the car. Its in Minnesota now. we are also considering if he does get it, ripping off that **** powerdyne, doing a 331 with a awesome cam and great heads, an even fuller intake and exhaust, and doing a 6spd and possibly IRS and making it a badass road course/autoX car.

Old 11-30-2007, 03:03 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana

well it is best to take it to a shop b/c they hook it up to a computer and can see whats going on with everything then they will custom burn you a chip. thats y most people say take it the a shop. b/c they have all the right tools to do the job right.
Old 11-30-2007, 03:05 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana

with a supercharger you dont want to take the chance with some cheap pretuned chip or programmer! in the long run you will end up spending more money fixing the car. not having the right tune with a s/c will cause pre-detonation. which is your engine knocking and other **** like that
Old 12-22-2007, 09:46 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

well I guess i'm a two faced mother ****er....

with all respect to thomas on this one I have just ordered a Tweecer R/T two days ago...
the learning curve looks pretty crazy, but i've decided i'd rather learn to do this so i'll never have to go to a dyno again (well, without doing my own tuning) even if I swap to a differen't tuner, most of the scalars, functions, tables and definitions are pretty much the same.

i'll let you know in six months.

93 mustang notch
Old 12-24-2007, 12:09 PM   #14
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas91169 View Post
my main concern is the fact it has zero tune whatsoever. he has larger injectors, larger maf, all this airflow and nothing telling the ecu to compensate for any of it. even some sort of mail order chip would be a feasible option at this point.

wont know until after xmas if he is getting the car. Its in Minnesota now. we are also considering if he does get it, ripping off that **** powerdyne, doing a 331 with a awesome cam and great heads, an even fuller intake and exhaust, and doing a 6spd and possibly IRS and making it a badass road course/autoX car.
hay, i got 9lb. powerdyne blower..it's not that bad really. however, u shouldnt need larger injectors with only 6lbs of boost. i got a friend with stock cam, 1.7rr, edelbrock aluminum heads, stock ecu, and he makes around 390 @ the wheels. i think he's got a hardware problem, not a software problem. not to mention, non of us know enough about the car to make an educated guesse. in all seriousness, there's enough knowledgable pple here on this site, that if we had all the specs on the car we could figure out the problem. dats just my opinion. sometimes you can fix a problem with more knowledge instead of more money (sometimes). but something definatley is fishy....
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT