EFI to Carbureted - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-24-2012, 03:22 AM   #1

Region: Texas
EFI to Carbureted

i pulled out my 302 motor out of my 89 mustang and the fuel injection wiring harness is begin'in to be a pain . so what all would i need to go carburated? any advice would be help thanks
89stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 04:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89stang
i pulled out my 302 motor out of my 89 mustang and the fuel injection wiring harness is begin'in to be a pain . so what all would i need to go carburated? any advice would be help thanks
A carb, fuel pressure regulator, and the throttle connection kit. Depending on which carb, ur throttle might work without a kit. So if u go to like o'reileys and pick out a holley or edelbrock, they will be able to help you with everything. The kit comes with a plate that you may or may not need under the carb. Edelbrock no longer supplies a free throttle kit but they should be able to get u the right one if needed. U might be able to use ur air cleaner, but if not they aren't much expencive. Now, u need the fuel pressure regulator because the carb uses much less pressure like 7psi if I remember right and ur car uses from 25 to 125psi. Ur carb won't work right. If u had two barrel and u want 4 barrel, u might need a new intake manifold. For daily driving, I recomend about 650cfm.
Its really easy for u because u have TBI...right?
irishn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Here's my any advise. Don't switch.
Kjohnson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
My advice is a carb swap should not ne taken as the "easy way out" .I would only do this if u like carbs,not worried about daily drivability or mpgs and are decent at tuning.also it might be a pita to pass smog checks.

if u want to do this right and look good u will be pretty much pulling the harness anyway,u are half way there to replacing it.A replacement harness can be found relatively cheap at a salvage yard.

No I am running a carb and I am very happy with my setup.so what I am saying if u really want a carb go for it.but this is not the easy way out!

Also you will definitely need a intake,FPR,carb,linkage, and a few other things.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: EFI to Carbureted

At one time I was all for getting rid of that newfangled EFI and swapping back to a carburetor. Now I wouldn't go back to a carburetor for anything.

Notice the key word is "back" as in backwards.

If you don't mind giving up easier cold starting and idling, fuel mileage and easier tuning, then go ahead and swap.

I would just replace the harness.
You can get parts and pieces or complete harnesses at RJM Fuel Injection Tech.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
I agree with all of this. If you had lets say some type of BBF and FI is rare or crazy expensive then a carb would be good. But for a 302 it's simply not worth, the exception being an automatic 85 GT IMO. My 87 was swapped because it would not stay running and soon as we pulled the FI off... Ran great! It was also a non mass air car. Your 89 should be mass air which leaves plenty of options cheap and expensive for parts, tuning etc
Old 01-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
My advice is a carb swap should not ne taken as the "easy way out" .I would only do this if u like carbs,not worried about daily drivability or mpgs and are decent at tuning.also it might be a pita to pass smog checks.

if u want to do this right and look good u will be pretty much pulling the harness anyway,u are half way there to replacing it.A replacement harness can be found relatively cheap at a salvage yard.

No I am running a carb and I am very happy with my setup.so what I am saying if u really want a carb go for it.but this is not the easy way out!

Also you will definitely need a intake,FPR,carb,linkage, and a few other things.
Well compared to TBI its about the same, it all depends on how you tune it. Edlebrock comes tuned for everyday driving. I switched from 2bbl TBI on my 1990 RC to 4bbl carb. I gained power and kept the same MPG. I haven't had to pass a smog inspection as they aren't required where I live. If you have any other type of fuel injection I would say don't swap.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishn8 View Post
Well compared to TBI its about the same, it all depends on how you tune it. Edlebrock comes tuned for everyday driving. I switched from 2bbl TBI on my 1990 RC to 4bbl carb. I gained power and kept the same MPG. I haven't had to pass a smog inspection as they aren't required where I live. If you have any other type of fuel injection I would say don't swap.
The TBI, IMO at least, is one of the worst types of fuel injection to come down the pipes. It is basically nothing more than a throttle body with fuel injectors stuffed in it. I can see where you wouldn't notice much or any difference switching to a carburetor.

Carburetors, be they Edelbrock, Holley or some other brand, can be and are tuned for everyday driving. However they cannot compensate themselves like the EFI system does for temperature, humidity and altitude changes. To get anywhere even close to the efficiency of the EFI you would have to hand tune your carburetor for each change, daily or maybe even more often.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

The TBI, IMO at least, is one of the worst types of fuel injection to come down the pipes. It is basically nothing more than a throttle body with fuel injectors stuffed in it. I can see where you wouldn't notice much or any difference switching to a carburetor.

Carburetors, be they Edelbrock, Holley or some other brand, can be and are tuned for everyday driving. However they cannot compensate themselves like the EFI system does for temperature, humidity and altitude changes. To get anywhere even close to the efficiency of the EFI you would have to hand tune your carburetor for each change, daily or maybe even more often.
True
Old 01-24-2012, 07:43 PM   #10

Region: New Jersey

I did the swap on my 86. I started with sumping the tank and running -6 braided hose and an fittings. I used a fram canister style filter then a holly red pump (Ive since gone to a carter,its better IMO). I used a edelbrock performer intake and a holley 650 double pump. I also have changed the carb from the holley to an edelbrock, it seemed like I was always tuning the holley. The edelbrock loses a little hp to the holley but the drivability is better. I went with a proform Chevy HEI style distributor, its a one wire hookup and all self contained (no need for an ignition box, or coil). I also used a throttle cable from a carbed model mustang and made my own brackets. Now that Ive swapped a 351w out for the 302, it was definately cheaper to go with the carb. I know this was alot of writing, but I hope it helps, good luck

---------- Post added at 08:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:40 PM ----------

Oh yeah, I was also able to cut out the engine side of the harness, cleaning up the engine bay a bit, looks a little neater.
JPCooter is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT