Looking to buy a Fox - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2012, 06:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Looking to buy a Fox

Hey guys and gals,

I'm normally in the 4.6 threads,but i'm looking to buy a Fox. I was hoping to get some input on what you all thought if I should go with this one car or not. I've got a maximum if $2500.00 I want to spend on it. Here is the ad:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/2765901521.html

So I go to look at the car today (86 GT) and it ran great. Of course there are a few issues with it as follows:

-Needs the cooling fan put back on (I guess a friend of his put an electrical one on but is didn't run right. He has both the mechanical and electrical one).

-The car has to be started by the solenoid, the key primes the fuel pump and the a/c.
the speedo, coolant, and fuel gauges don't work.

-passenger belt doesn't have the male connector, and the female connector isn't on the passenger seat.

-The tranny is a rebuilt T-5 from a 4 cylinder Mustang. He has a world class T-5 (i believe) in pieces that he says just needs to be rebuilt to work. has an exhaust leak on the drvers side header where it meets the mid pipe. The stud on the header is stripped.

-needs a new hood

-needs new spark plug wires (just one wire is back firing)

-one tire is dry rotted, and it needs a 5 star pony rim to match the other 3 rims

-no stereo or speakers

-missing the drivers side interior door panel

-no a/c or heat

-outside handle on the passenger side doesn't work (he said it just came apart on the inside and needs to be put back together)

- drivers side rear quarter window is out. He has the glass and the trim, just needs to be put on.

Now with all that being said, it runs good, no leaks, shifts great, sounds awesome. Clean title and good suspension. Dash is cracked big time, seats in good shape, and paint is non existent. I'm looking for a car I can make a fun toy to drive. I'll probably make it matte black, and keep the interior to a minimum for weight. I'm not super worried about the cosmetic stuff, but would like it to function like a normal car ( IE gauges work, electrical issues fixed, new tire and rim). with that being said, I feel like $1800.00 is a good offer (which he said he would do) given the condition of everything; my question is how much do you think it would cost to fix her up? is it worth the effort? I have a mechanic friend that would be doing the work mostly, but I am very mechanically incline, just not alot of spare time to do it myself.

Thanks for your input guys, I appreciate it!

***resident gun idiot***
Roguestang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 06:48 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang
Hey guys and gals,

I'm normally in the 4.6 threads,but i'm looking to buy a Fox. I was hoping to get some input on what you all thought if I should go with this one car or not. I've got a maximum if $2500.00 I want to spend on it. Here is the ad:

http://tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/2765901521.html

So I go to look at the car today (86 GT) and it ran great. Of course there are a few issues with it as follows:

-Needs the cooling fan put back on (I guess a friend of his put an electrical one on but is didn't run right. He has both the mechanical and electrical one).

-The car has to be started by the solenoid, the key primes the fuel pump and the a/c.
the speedo, coolant, and fuel gauges don't work.

-passenger belt doesn't have the male connector, and the female connector isn't on the passenger seat.

-The tranny is a rebuilt T-5 from a 4 cylinder Mustang. He has a world class T-5 (i believe) in pieces that he says just needs to be rebuilt to work. has an exhaust leak on the drvers side header where it meets the mid pipe. The stud on the header is stripped.

-needs a new hood

-needs new spark plug wires (just one wire is back firing)

-one tire is dry rotted, and it needs a 5 star pony rim to match the other 3 rims

-no stereo or speakers

-missing the drivers side interior door panel

-no a/c or heat

-outside handle on the passenger side doesn't work (he said it just came apart on the inside and needs to be put back together)

- drivers side rear quarter window is out. He has the glass and the trim, just needs to be put on.

Now with all that being said, it runs good, no leaks, shifts great, sounds awesome. Clean title and good suspension. Dash is cracked big time, seats in good shape, and paint is non existent. I'm looking for a car I can make a fun toy to drive. I'll probably make it matte black, and keep the interior to a minimum for weight. I'm not super worried about the cosmetic stuff, but would like it to function like a normal car ( IE gauges work, electrical issues fixed, new tire and rim). with that being said, I feel like $1800.00 is a good offer (which he said he would do) given the condition of everything; my question is how much do you think it would cost to fix her up? is it worth the effort? I have a mechanic friend that would be doing the work mostly, but I am very mechanically incline, just not alot of spare time to do it myself.

Thanks for your input guys, I appreciate it!
My 86 gt that u see in my pic came with everything workin an got it for 2100. I mean a lot stuff wrong with that car is minor work so if u are interested in fixing it go for it but to me 1800 is a bit high considering what I payed for mine with everything working and super clean interior
OG86GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I'd keep looking and try to find one bone stock and original. That way you know the guy who owned it before you hasn't messed with anything

---------- Post added at 07:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:36 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89white GT
I'd keep looking and try to find one bone stock and original. That way you know the guy who owned it before you hasn't messed with anything
And that's way to much to be asking for something that is in that rough of shape. $800 would be more like it IMO
89white GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
It looks like the motor is very clean for what the car is.if your not to worried about cosmetics then go for it.I would say 2-4000 to fix it up.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I'm kinda leaning the way of holding out. I don't want to be working alot on it. And would like a clean looking car for cheap. There are a few others in my area, but I'm stuck on a stick.... Lol (no autos)

***resident gun idiot***
Old 01-28-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang
Yeah I'm kinda leaning the way of holding out. I don't want to be working alot on it. And would like a clean looking car for cheap. There are a few others in my area, but I'm stuck on a stick.... Lol (no autos)
Imo If u find a good clean auto,doing a t5 swap maybe less hassle than getting everything going on that car.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 08:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

There is a red 90' with an auto for 2100. But it has no mufflers just straight pipes. It's pretty clean in the pics, but I haven't gone to see it yet. How much would a sap cost?

***resident gun idiot***
Old 01-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Im currently selling my 83 gt with a rebuilt 302. Its got a 2 barrel carb with 4 brand new tires and a t5 out of a 92 gt. im asking 2500 and it sounds like its in alot better shape than that car. But the catch is, im in canada
Elfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Looking to buy a Fox

IMO, That's too much for that car.The first thing you will have to do is replace that weak transmission.
$1000 to $1500 max is all I would be willing to part with for it.
To me the only thing it really has going for it is that it's a coupe.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Nebraska
Hey if you find a auto in better shape you can easily convert the engine to take a manual. I definately would not go with that cat though. I got mine for around 900 and nothing was basically wrong with it except the right front fender and some electrical issues that are easy fixes.
jacob.a.gasparp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I ended up buying a 1990 auto with 97k miles on it. Got it for a decent price, and I will be restoring her to her former glory!

***resident gun idiot***
Old 01-31-2012, 09:58 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roguestang View Post
I ended up buying a 1990 auto with 97k miles on it. Got it for a decent price, and I will be restoring her to her former glory!
Post up some pics when you can.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2990273439.png
Views:	232
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	39790

Here's one pic. For now, this weekend im gonna clean her up a bit, and I'll take some more

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-01-2012, 10:04 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Motor looks good, but it sounds like to much work for the money he asking for. And you don't want anybody else's problems. I pay $1500 for my 86 GT it didn't look all that good but everything works on it. Just keep looking
Lh3211986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Attachment 39790

Here's one pic. For now, this weekend im gonna clean her up a bit, and I'll take some more
Looks like you have a good base to start with.
Old 02-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks. I'm gonna paint her black, and swap in a T-5. Proplay some suspension mods, as I want to make it a street/track car.

***resident gun idiot***
Old 02-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks. I'm gonna paint her black, and swap in a T-5. Proplay some suspension mods, as I want to make it a street/track car.
Go over the car and see what repairs it might need, then determine what mods it may already have.
List the mods it has if any.
List the upgrades and mods you want to do.
Decide how much you want to spend.
See the "In the Beginning" sticky thread for advice on how to start modding.

You do know that to change color and do it correctly is going to be labor intensive and expensive I hope? Plus if the car has very many dents and dings it is really difficult to get them repaired well enough that they don't stand out on a black car.

Not to dissuade you from what you want, but it looks really crappy to open a door or raise the hood or hatch and see that the car used to be a different color.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:54 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Oh I already went over it. I'm very mechanically inclined, and built my 2000 Mustang GT. I was looking for a Fox to build next. Thanks for the tips, looks like we are on the same page! Lol

***resident gun idiot***

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT