91 5.0 Mostly Stock - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:30 PM   #36
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Im glad I saw this cause I spaced out on my upgrade list to get 4.030 gaskets. Oops.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
I went to my local mustang speed shop and told them I was stock head and a turbo kit. They gave me the gasket I need it. For the pair it was $190.
Lh3211986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:44 PM   #38
Road Trip!

Region: Illinois
Re: 91 5.0 Mostly Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lh3211986 View Post
I went to my local mustang speed shop and told them I was stock head and a turbo kit. They gave me the gasket I need it. For the pair it was $190.
So would this be the correct model of ARP head studs?

ARP 254-4401 - ARP Pro Series Cylinder Head Stud Kits
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 07:04 PM   #39
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz View Post
So would this be the correct model of ARP head studs?

ARP 254-4401 - ARP Pro Series Cylinder Head Stud Kits
If you go to Summit Racing, look up the studs and click on the "Application" tab you can see that they are for:

Make - FORD
Engine Type - V8
Liter - 5.0
CID - 302
Engine Size - 5.0L/302
Beginning Year - 1968
Ending Year - 2001
Engine Family - Ford small block Windsor
Cylinder Head Style (application) - Stock configuration

So, Yes it looks like they will work on a stock 5.0/302 Ford.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:06 PM   #40
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
If you go to Summit Racing, look up the studs and click on the "Application" tab you can see that they are for:

Make - FORD
Engine Type - V8
Liter - 5.0
CID - 302
Engine Size - 5.0L/302
Beginning Year - 1968
Ending Year - 2001
Engine Family - Ford small block Windsor
Cylinder Head Style (application) - Stock configuration

So, Yes it looks like they will work on a stock 5.0/302 Ford.
Thank you for confirming. I am just nervous about buying the correct parts that's all. Thanks again!
Old 02-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #41
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Thank you for confirming. I am just nervous about buying the correct parts that's all. Thanks again!
You're Welcome.
I just pointed that out in case you had not seen how to confirm that they are right for your car.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:01 PM   #42
Road Trip!

Quote:
What is a good price for having my transmission removed from my car, rebuilt, maybe beefed up a little and being re-installed? I also would like a new clutch since the trans would be out anyway. Any advice? Looking for shops on line now.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:10 PM   #43
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz

What is a good price for having my transmission removed from my car, rebuilt, maybe beefed up a little and being re-installed? I also would like a new clutch since the trans would be out anyway. Any advice? Looking for shops on line now.
Prices vary depending on location.sometimes u can find aftermarket trannies online cheaper than getting rebuilt.if u go that route u can do the swap yourself and save some money and end up with a better trans.
A upgraded rebuild and new clutch guesstimate 1500$
Old 02-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #44
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Prices vary depending on location.sometimes u can find aftermarket trannies online cheaper than getting rebuilt.if u go that route u can do the swap yourself and save some money and end up with a better trans.
A upgraded rebuild and new clutch guesstimate 1500$
I thought about doing it myself, but I had elbow surgery 6 months ago so the heavy lifting "may " be a challenge. Would you stick with the T5 or go another route?
Old 02-04-2012, 08:38 PM   #45
Road Trip!

I probably would get a tko. Or u could go with a t56 6 speed.they have lots to choose out there.its a matter of preference.I scored a good t5 from the junkyard for 250.but that was cause my budget and I just finally had got my car on the road after 2 1/2 years of restoration and I was ready to drive it.

U could always get a good friend to help do the lifting.I muscled mine out by myself.just a thought.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:45 PM   #46
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I thought about doing it myself, but I had elbow surgery 6 months ago so the heavy lifting "may " be a challenge. Would you stick with the T5 or go another route?
Do a little research for parts and instructions, get a friend and a floor jack, and do it yourself.
You won't learn any younger and you will gain valuable knowledge.

You can buy the parts to upgrade it - Rebuilding the T5
G-Force is just one of the places that can help you upgrade to higher HP levels and I'm sure there are more.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:14 PM   #47
Road Trip!

I have extreme vibration in my shifter around 80mph. Does that mean my teams is bad or could it be u joints or an out of balance tire?
Old 02-05-2012, 04:19 PM   #48
Road Trip!

checking tires for balance,broken belts, etc. is where i would start.it could be your shifter is worn and/or shifter bushing.i would also check your joints.
Old 02-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #49
Road Trip!

okay, it's just really getting annoying
Old 02-05-2012, 04:35 PM   #50
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
checking tires for balance,broken belts, etc. is where i would start.it could be your shifter is worn and/or shifter bushing.i would also check your joints.
^ u joints*
Old 02-05-2012, 04:39 PM   #51
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I have extreme vibration in my shifter around 80mph. Does that mean my teams is bad or could it be u joints or an out of balance tire?
D. Any or All of the above.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:17 PM   #52
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lh3211986
Fal pro make a turbo head gasket. That's what I'm using. And ARP studs and bolts it comes together.
I just watched ur YouTube videos, your car looks and sounds great. What psi are you running the kit at?
Old 02-06-2012, 05:24 PM   #53
Road Trip!

Is it "really" needed to change my flow masters out after an on3 turbo kit install? Just checking cuz I really like the way sound not and it would be nice to keep them.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:52 PM   #54
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Is it "really" needed to change my flow masters out after an on3 turbo kit install? Just checking cuz I really like the way sound not and it would be nice to keep them.
I don't know why you would have to change them.
With a single turbo you will have one exhaust pipe exiting the turbo.
Just have a Y pipe fabricated to bring it back to dual exhaust.

Note: It will be considerably quieter than before because of the exhaust being funneled through the turbo.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:54 PM   #55
Road Trip!

Okay, cool. I've just heard around that the flow masters are not ideal for a turbo application. That being said I'm not building a 50k professional racer. Thanks!!!
Old 02-06-2012, 06:06 PM   #56
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Okay, cool. I've just heard around that the flow masters are not ideal for a turbo application. That being said I'm not building a 50k professional racer. Thanks!!!
They probably are not the best flowing mufflers, I believe I read that Dynomax or some race bullets (If you can get away with using the bullets that is) will flow best.
Old 02-06-2012, 06:16 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

The only reason I can see as to why you would want to change them is maybe they produce a decent amount of backpressure? Turbos love a free flowing exhaust. That being said, pretty much any exhaust should work with a turbo. It'll just spool up slightly slower and wont be able to hit as high boost (which shouldnt be a problem if you're on a stock block).

Side note: Has anyone had any luck with e85 on these motors? Was thinking about going the turbo route soon, but before I get new injectors and a pump I figured Id check to see if its viable/worth it to use e85.
88gtCc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 06:34 PM   #58
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gtCc View Post
The only reason I can see as to why you would want to change them is maybe they produce a decent amount of backpressure? Turbos love a free flowing exhaust. That being said, pretty much any exhaust should work with a turbo. It'll just spool up slightly slower and wont be able to hit as high boost (which shouldnt be a problem if you're on a stock block).

Side note: Has anyone had any luck with e85 on these motors? Was thinking about going the turbo route soon, but before I get new injectors and a pump I figured Id check to see if its viable/worth it to use e85.
E85 is 85% alcohol.
It can be used but you will need to upgrade your entire fuel system to handle the alcohol which is prone to corrosion and rubber fuel line deterioration.
To burn pure alcohol requires that your system can flow approximately twice the amount of fuel because it takes 2 parts alcohol to equal 1 part gasoline in power production. The E85 won't take quite as much, but it will be close.

There are benefits to running the E85 on boosted engines such as cooler engine temps, less chance of detonation and it has a higher octane rating.
Whether or not it is worth the expense to be able to utilize it in our older Mustangs, I haven't decided for myself yet. I would advise that you research it thoroughly before attempting it.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the heads up Trojan. In my experience its about 30-40% more fuel thats needed. I knew about the higher octane rating and it burning cooler (which is nice for turbos), was just wondering why I hadnt seen anything on this forum about it. My previous car was able to run it with just injectors and a pump; I hadnt heard of anyone running into problems with the lines...Ill have to look into that before I decide what to do.
88gtCc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 07:15 PM   #60
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gtCc View Post
Thanks for the heads up Trojan. In my experience its about 30-40% more fuel thats needed. I knew about the higher octane rating and it burning cooler (which is nice for turbos), was just wondering why I hadnt seen anything on this forum about it. My previous car was able to run it with just injectors and a pump; I hadnt heard of anyone running into problems with the lines...Ill have to look into that before I decide what to do.
If the rubber lines had been replaced within the last few years, they may be suitable for use with alcohol. If not then the alcohol will slowly eat up the older rubber fuel lines sending millions of small rubber particles through your fuel system eventually plugging up injectors, regulators, etc., etc..

Also alcohol draws moisture and the mixture reacts negatively with aluminum by forming a white powdery substance which can cause the same clogging issues as the rubber particles and it will also eventually eat through aluminum if left unattended.

The alcohol and moisture combination will also react with galvanized/tinned metal fuel tanks and lines, eventually causing them to rust out and fail.
Old 02-06-2012, 07:26 PM   #61
Road Trip!

at the local track i love whatching the e85 guys the class is a 9.00 class.they are bad as*.they actually seem to have a deeper exhaust tune. and most all of them are running power adders.the beauty of e85 is that its about 110 octane(i think) which is why it is so good for power adders.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:16 PM   #62
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
at the local track i love whatching the e85 guys the class is a 9.00 class.they are bad as*.they actually seem to have a deeper exhaust tune. and most all of them are running power adders.the beauty of e85 is that its about 110 octane(i think) which is why it is so good for power adders.
Next time you go, long ways off I know, but maybe you could talk with some of them about what they had to do to run the E85 and any issues they might have had?

That would give us some "real world" info instead of what we research on the net or know from a long time ago. Both of which may not be totally accurate anymore.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 PM   #63
Road Trip!

i will definatly chat with them.these are the guys i watch http://www.proe85.com/ at http://www.nolimitraceway.com/.

im sure they wont give there secrets away but i bet we could get a good basic idea of what is needed to run the fuel.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

about half way down the page on proe85 check out the youtube video.u can watch the whole video but especially watch at about 1:05 or so.there is a sick wheel stand by a fox body stang.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #64
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
i will definatly chat with them.these are the guys i watch ProE85 Racing at No Limit Raceway.

im sure they wont give there secrets away but i bet we could get a good basic idea of what is needed to run the fuel.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 PM ----------

about half way down the page on proe85 check out the youtube video.u can watch the whole video but especially watch at about 1:05 or so.there is a sick wheel stand by a fox body stang.
I wouldn't expect them to give away their secrets, but if they can help us with the basics, I bet we can figure out our own "secrets".

Thanks for the links. That may one day be us.

AHA! They have a FORUM!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:45 PM   #65
Road Trip!

Okay, so my TFS Cometic gaskets arrived today. Do I need to do anything special for installation such as a type of sealant or anything?

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Also, will the 17 X 8.5 inch 93 Cobra style wheels fit on my 91 mustang without modification?
Old 02-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #66
Road Trip!
Supporter

More info on using alcohol fuels.

From SEMA

And that's just E15/E20, Imagine what E85 would do.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #67
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Okay, so my TFS Cometic gaskets arrived today. Do I need to do anything special for installation such as a type of sealant or anything?

---------- Post added at 07:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:40 PM ----------

Also, will the 17 X 8.5 inch 93 Cobra style wheels fit on my 91 mustang without modification?
No sealants are needed for the Cometic head gaskets, however I think they do specify a preferred block and head surface finish.

You will need some good silicone sealer for the intake gaskets on the ends and around the water jackets though.

The 93 Cobra wheels should fit your car perfectly.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:09 PM   #68
Road Trip!

Cool, thanks for the help.

---------- Post added at 08:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 PM ----------

With the silicone sealer you just mean the stuff from Napa or wherever for the upper and lower intake gaskets right?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 PM   #69
Road Trip!

like rtv black
Old 02-07-2012, 08:22 PM   #70
Road Trip!

Ah cool thanks. I really appreciate all the help and advice everyone is giving me. I am a noob(4th mustang) and this is going to be my first modified car so much of this stuff is foreign to me. Anyway I really appreciate all the advice so far.

---------- Post added at 08:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:12 PM ----------

Any recommendation for a boost gauge for this on3 kit?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT