91 5.0 Mostly Stock - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Road Trip!

Region: Illinois
91 5.0 Mostly Stock

Guys,

I've just registered and this is my first time on the site. I am basically looking for a recommendation for a solid, driveable setup. My 91 came with full length headers, h pipe, American Thunder system and 3.73's.

I have 6k to put in to the car. I would like to dedicate 4k of that to engine performance. Basically what should I do with the 4k. Not looking for a 1/4 mile car, I want to drive it. I have done some research and found the Trick Flow top end kit, but I wonder if that's not the best way to go.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jason

---------- Post added at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:45 PM ----------

Here is more detail:
- 5 speed
- not sure if I should go with a carburetor or stay with EFI?
JayKranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 08:14 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
you will be more happy staying efi i think. i have heard alot of good things about that trick flow kit.i would probably upgrade your injectors and maf also i would throw a short throw shifter and some rear control arms in there.

ps. welcome!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:25 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 91 5.0 Mostly Stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz View Post
Guys,

I've just registered and this is my first time on the site. I am basically looking for a recommendation for a solid, driveable setup. My 91 came with full length headers, h pipe, American Thunder system and 3.73's.

I have 6k to put in to the car. I would like to dedicate 4k of that to engine performance. Basically what should I do with the 4k. Not looking for a 1/4 mile car, I want to drive it. I have done some research and found the Trick Flow top end kit, but I wonder if that's not the best way to go.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Jason

Here is more detail:
- 5 speed
- not sure if I should go with a carburetor or stay with EFI?
Welcome aboard Jason!

The Trick Flow Top End Kit says it will give you 350+ HP.
In my book that makes it a very worthwhile mod to do.

Stay with the EFI and let the computer keep it tuned.
It can do a much better job and your overall driveability will be much better.

See the "In the Beginning" sticky thread in this forum for other mods to compliment the HCI kit.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #4
Road Trip!

Thanks guys for the advice so far.

@Trojan I will check the "in the beginning thread" you mentioned.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Another question, would I have to have a shop tune my car after doing this Trick Flow kit and some of the mods on the in the beginning thread?
Old 01-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Road Trip!

Region: Alabama
F-303 cam incase u decide to run a turbo or blower later on trick flow heads and scat rotating assemble (prolly go 331 lets u do more boost or other things later on if u want) the f-303 ford racing cam is a good cross over cam relitivlly agressive but relativlly good for ether applacation (f/i or n/a) stay fuel injected allows for better tuning run a buma tuner on i think its the 91 octain tune and at least hon out and new rings (i cant remeber if u need to bore out the block or not for a 331 i think u do for the 306 which is stock stroke wide bore) up grade ur plugs to at least twin prong platnums and get a set of ford racing 9mm preformance plug wires and a set of 9/1 forged pistons think that about taps u out on the motor.

Get a cross member and an 8 point roll cage. upgrade rear suspencion and lower the back end by about 3/4 to 1 inch this will improve weight jacking and help the car hook up. good set of 305/35r18 tires (nitto nk555 are not to bad) on the back with a set of 18x10 rear rims and u got one mean street car done up that will handle real nice hook up fast and turn consistant weekend 1/4s best part is ur set to go further with her if u want and shell be real reliable were shes at.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Welcome to the site and I look forward to seeing what you decide on!!
Old 01-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #7
Road Trip!

Do I have to upgrade my ignition with the Trick Flow kit?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:02 PM   #8
Road Trip!

i dont think u have to,but it is a good idea.
Old 01-30-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKranz
Do I have to upgrade my ignition with the Trick Flow kit?
You can also check out edelbrock performer 5.0, and performer RPM Heads and intakes!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:17 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Rhode Island
Go T/C or S/C easy way to make power!
Lh3211986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 02:50 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks guys for the advice so far.

@Trojan I will check the "in the beginning thread" you mentioned.

---------- Post added at 08:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

Another question, would I have to have a shop tune my car after doing this Trick Flow kit and some of the mods on the in the beginning thread?
The EEC IV will adapt to most mods without too much difficulty, but to get the most and safest power out of it you should consider getting a tune.
If you decide to go with any type of forced induction or a large shot of nitrous, a tune becomes a necessity to help keep your engine in one piece.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:16 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Can someone please give me am idea of how much Hp I may be working with on a stock 5.0 225hp mustang with 8lbs of boost from a Vortech supercharger? I am getting co fused in my research an some turbo companies claim 360hp on stock motor with 9psi an the math just does not add up for me. I'm asking because I'm researching h/c/I, TC or SC. Thanks in advance you guys have been so much help.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

More specifically can am on3 turbo kit running at 6-8psi get me over 350hp on a stock 5.0. Also, how is drivability? Could I go on a road trip or is my car gonna get too hot?
Old 02-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I just put an on3 kit not to long ago. I'm running 8psi but no dyno numbers yet. It's good on gas if you don't get into it all the time. But let me tell you....you would love it cuz idk how HP I'm making but my mustang is moving great. Look up videos people are making over 500hp with the stock motors with a turbo.
Old 02-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #14
Road Trip!

Did the kit come with the y pipe for exhaust or did u have to have ur exhaust done? Also, can I use my flow masters with it or do they create too much back pressure. Dis u replace ur head bolts and gaskets?

---------- Post added at 08:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 PM ----------

watching ur YouTube video now
Old 02-01-2012, 09:06 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Can someone please give me am idea of how much Hp I may be working with on a stock 5.0 225hp mustang with 8lbs of boost from a Vortech supercharger? I am getting co fused in my research an some turbo companies claim 360hp on stock motor with 9psi an the math just does not add up for me. I'm asking because I'm researching h/c/I, TC or SC. Thanks in advance you guys have been so much help.

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

More specifically can am on3 turbo kit running at 6-8psi get me over 350hp on a stock 5.0. Also, how is drivability? Could I go on a road trip or is my car gonna get too hot?
It's really hard to estimate HP gains for any one vehicle, as all vehicles are different and any HP gains will depend on any modification previously made and the end tuning of the vehicle.
Most forced induction manufacturers will usually estimate between 35-75 HP gains on stock engines and some have dyno sheets to back up their claims. However, look very closely at the car build & dyno sheets to determine if any other changes were made.

Turbochargers can make more power than superchargers because they draw less "parasitic" HP and do not impart any additional "harmonics" into the rotating assembly.

You could possibly get over 350 HP from a turbo kit on a stock engine, but it will depend on how much boost is used and how well it is tuned. Whether or not it will be reliable is another question that would be hard to answer and will depend on the quality of the build and tune.

I would start with a Trick Flow HCI kit. They say it will net you 350+ HP.
Then read the "Superchargers & Turbos" sticky thread in this forum for more information on forced induction and what may be required.

Driveability will depend on how well it is tuned and installed.
Old 02-01-2012, 09:34 PM   #16
Road Trip!

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it.
Old 02-01-2012, 10:22 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

While usually I would go with Trojan on ANYTHING pushrod 5.0 related, I would have to here differ. With me personally rolling a factory block (minus E cam) and going turbo with income tax, I think the gains are the best for the buck! Sure, heads, cam and intake will safely get you to 350+, so will a turbo and help keep it a little sleeper. 8 psi is nothing on these blocks provided its a good tune. I've also personally driven a turbo 5.0 that was a stock long-block @ 10 psi making 390+ to the wheels and nothing but HOLY sh$% came out of my mouth while driving it.

Bottom line and my .02... ON3 turbo kit!

hopefully AM will start carrying the product soon!

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 11:41 PM   #18
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john View Post
While usually I would go with Trojan on ANYTHING pushrod 5.0 related, I would have to here differ. With me personally rolling a factory block (minus E cam) and going turbo with income tax, I think the gains are the best for the buck! Sure, heads, cam and intake will safely get you to 350+, so will a turbo and help keep it a little sleeper. 8 psi is nothing on these blocks provided its a good tune. I've also personally driven a turbo 5.0 that was a stock long-block @ 10 psi making 390+ to the wheels and nothing but HOLY sh$% came out of my mouth while driving it.

Bottom line and my .02... ON3 turbo kit!

hopefully AM will start carrying the product soon!
That's the greatest thing about being here and in the USA, everyone can make their own decisions as to what they believe and want.

Most of my information and suggestions are based on my opinion, that doesn't mean you have to do as I think you should. However, I do believe you will probably sooner, rather than later, run into head gasket and detonation problems using the stock block, heads, etc., but the choice is yours.

My thinking is, that if you start from a stronger, better breathing base you will gain much more HP and do it a lot safer and easier than just using the stock components. In the end you will develop more power, it will be more reliable and you will be much happier with your combination is what I believe.

I.E. I will be starting with a base engine that already has most of the forged rotating parts, HCI and is already making 405 HP at the crank. When I add the other components along with the SC, I expect to be looking at close to or over 600 HP eventually.
Don't get me wrong it is a blast to drive with the HP it has, but like a lot of guys I always want more.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

The y pipe you gotta add to the kit but is not much. I change my head gasket and put ARP studs and bolts, just to do all the work ones.

---------- Post added at 07:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 AM ----------

I got flow master on now but I'm going to change them after. It don't hurt your turbo at all. But you will make more HP with mufflers that have no chambers
Old 02-02-2012, 06:17 AM   #20
Road Trip!

Cool, thanks
Old 02-02-2012, 06:20 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Anytime, I seen stock 5.0 make over 400hp
Old 02-02-2012, 06:23 AM   #22
Road Trip!

Dis on3 sell you the y pipe or did you have to buy it from someone else?
Old 02-02-2012, 07:59 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

They sell everything you need. Even the burn chip. I think the total is like $2800.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

Check Jegs, I think they have it on sale for $2000. Then order the chip from on3 individually and save big!

---------- Post added at 08:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:07 AM ----------

Also, trojan are you going to be running a moates quarterhorse on your turbo car in the future or ?. Is it just lap-top software that will interface with an sct chip? I was youtubing the other day and it seemed that the people with the quarterhorse software installed were having higher gains then others.

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:58 AM   #25
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by wc3john View Post

Also, trojan are you going to be running a moates quarterhorse on your turbo car in the future or ?. Is it just lap-top software that will interface with an sct chip? I was youtubing the other day and it seemed that the people with the quarterhorse software installed were having higher gains then others.
No, I will be using a Paxton Novi 2000 supercharger and the AFM PMS to tune with.
As far as I know, no other tuning option covers more parameters than the PMS and you don't need a laptop to tune with it.
The differences you saw were more than likely due to tuner skill and experience.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:07 PM   #26
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lh3211986 View Post
They sell everything you need. Even the burn chip. I think the total is like $2800.
Okay, after researching, and the advice of everyone here I have decided that the on3turbo kit sounds very intriguing. Could anyone point me in the right direction for the recommended ARP Head Studs and bolts? I've looked for them online and am unsure of which one's are the right one's for my 5.0. Also, what gaskets should I use for this application.

Thanks!
Old 02-03-2012, 02:41 PM   #27
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Okay, after researching, and the advice of everyone here I have decided that the on3turbo kit sounds very intriguing. Could anyone point me in the right direction for the recommended ARP Head Studs and bolts? I've looked for them online and am unsure of which one's are the right one's for my 5.0. Also, what gaskets should I use for this application.

Thanks!
What heads are you using?
Old 02-03-2012, 03:10 PM   #28
Road Trip!

E7TE - I am using the completely stick motor with the exception of new injectors, Maf and fuel pump.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #29
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
E7TE - I am using the completely stick motor with the exception of new injectors, Maf and fuel pump.
ARP Studs

ARP Bolts

Head Gaskets - Choose your bore size and desired material.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:35 PM   #30
Road Trip!

How do I know the bore
size?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:04 PM   #31
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
How do I know the bore
size?
Stock is 4.00 if it has been rebuilt then it may be 4.030.
Measure it when you remove the heads.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Fal pro make a turbo head gasket. That's what I'm using. And ARP studs and bolts it comes together.
Old 02-03-2012, 04:45 PM   #33
Road Trip!

Thanks guys, I will measure before I buy!

---------- Post added at 04:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Quote:
Thanks guys, I will measure before I buy!
So my engine is not rebuilt and for the cometic or the turbo quality gaskets I am only finding them with a bore of 4.030 or bigger. I can't find any that are 4.00 bore. Any ideas? LH3211986 where did you find yours? Did you have standard 4.00 bore?
Old 02-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #34
Road Trip!

Imo opinion as long as u get good quality gaskets u will be ok.just make sure u follow the proper installation procedure.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:19 PM   #35
Road Trip!
Supporter

4.030 Gaskets will work.They are only.015 per side bigger.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT