Coolant through TB needed? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-01-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Coolant through TB needed?

I have a pesky coolant leak at the nipple in the intake that routes coolant through the throttle body. Thinking about just removing the nipples and putting in plugs. What is the purpose of the coolant going through the throttle body? Cool the air, cool the water, heat up the air? And is it needed? Car will be driven when cold(freezing) at least for the remainder of this winter. Hopefully by next year I won' have to.

On a side note, that leak and a brake line that just blew when I was test driving for TV adjustment, should be all thats left for it to be road worthy. Tomorrow I place an order for shocks, struts, and springs. Going with ford racing B springs. 7/8" drop in front and 1/2" in rear because the roads around here aren't great, and it is a driver. And while I have a used exhaust system on it (stock headers, bbk H-Pipe, stock mufflers and T-pipes) I will be ordering new exhaust next week or the week after (bbk headers, off road H and flowmaster cat back).
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

To my knowledge you'll be perfectly fine plugging up the coolant hose that connects to the TB. I have no idea why its even connected to the TB, but in my last car that was one of the "free" mods you could do to free up some hp (was a subaru wrx). When you do it, make sure you plug up everything...if dirt/debris gets in that hole in the TB it can be bad news. Otherwise you should be fine... my 2cents.
88gtCc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:53 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Coolant through TB needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80 View Post
I have a pesky coolant leak at the nipple in the intake that routes coolant through the throttle body. Thinking about just removing the nipples and putting in plugs. What is the purpose of the coolant going through the throttle body? Cool the air, cool the water, heat up the air? And is it needed? Car will be driven when cold(freezing) at least for the remainder of this winter. Hopefully by next year I won' have to.
Remove and plug all of the holes, you won't notice much difference if any and it will allow your engine to get cooler, denser air.

When I first purchased my 86 GT, they had installed a Cobra intake and removed the adapter that had the coolant routed through it. They capped the nipples in the intake with small clamps and vacuum caps of all things. Needless to say that did not work and as a result of that and a couple of other issues I managed to get the car bought for way less than the $12k they had invested in it because they thought it had blown a head gasket and would have to be torn down and fixed. All I did was to replace the nipples with pipe plugs.
P.S. I ended up buying the car for less than half of what they had invested in it.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Re: Coolant through TB needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Remove and plug all of the holes, you won't notice much difference if any and it will allow your engine to get cooler, denser air.

When I first purchased my 86 GT, they had installed a Cobra intake and removed the adapter that had the coolant routed through it. They capped the nipples in the intake with small clamps and vacuum caps of all things. Needless to say that did not work and as a result of that and a couple of other issues I managed to get the car bought for way less than the $12k they had invested in it because they thought it had blown a head gasket and would have to be torn down and fixed. All I did was to replace the nipples with pipe plugs.
P.S. I ended up buying the car for less than half of what they had invested in it.
Haha, thats awesome. Thanx for the info 88 and trojan. Appreciate it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT