Why do I frequently recommend the AFM PMS? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-02-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

mystang50 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Here's one of the main reasons.
7.87 Pass With Supercharged SBF ‘Stang

If it can provide tuning for a Mustang like this, it can tune my car with ease.
I realize that it is not inexpensive, but take a look at the bottom of the article in the link above and compare it to the cost of other options for tuning a vehicle of that caliber.

Also, just look at what the AFM PMS will Tune and check out the Recording Software that works with a laptopor Data Recorder that works without a laptop, that's available to work with the PMS
The recording software and a laptop will provide you with a real time User Customizable Dashboard of your operating system parameters. I don't know what you might think, but to me that's just !
But is expensive!! Lol why not Jus get a dyno tune?? Do u have one?or are u gonna get one for ur build?

1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
Old 02-02-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Trojan Horse is just getting started.
Re: Why do I frequently recommend the AFM PMS?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post
But is expensive!! Lol why not Jus get a dyno tune?? Do u have one?or are u gonna get one for ur build?
A dyno tune is expensive too. No, I don't have one and I don't plan on getting one.
The PMS will take care of my needs easily and I can see what it is going on with my engine as often as I need to.

A dyno tune is great if you have the cash to pay out for it, but you will still need a chip or some type of tuner that interfaces with your ECU for them to work with.
If you make any changes you have to go back to be re-tuned.
With the PMS you make the changes you need yourself as you need to.

Plus a dyno tune is there and then tuning done at the temp and humidity present during the tune.
They cannot really tune for real world conditions that are constantly changing, your ECU has to do that and by using the PMS you can further tweak the ECU tuning as you need, to respond to changes in your real world operating parameters.

I believe that using the PMS along with a wide band O2 sensor and the InterACQ data logging software I will be able to tune my engine to operate at its maximum efficiency whenever I need to.

Old 02-02-2012, 03:15 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

A dyno tune is expensive too. No, I don't have one and I don't plan on getting one.
The PMS will take care of my needs easily and I can see what it is going on with my engine as often as I need to.

A dyno tune is great if you have the cash to pay out for it, but you will still need a chip or some type of tuner that interfaces with your ECU for them to work with.
If you make any changes you have to go back to be re-tuned.
With the PMS you make the changes you need yourself as you need to.

Plus a dyno tune is there and then tuning done at the temp and humidity present during the tune.
They cannot really tune for real world conditions that are constantly changing, your ECU has to do that and by using the PMS you can further tweak the ECU tuning as you need, to respond to changes in your real world operating parameters.

I believe that using the PMS along with a wide band O2 sensor and the InterACQ data logging software I will be able to tune my engine to operate at its maximum efficiency whenever I need to.
Yeah I guess ur right...again lol. But I still think ima do a dyno tune when I finish my car...I dont know how to work a turner and not that experienced with what exactly the engine will need for diff times...but im still looking into everything so u never know
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
Old 02-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang50 View Post
Yeah I guess ur right...again lol. But I still think ima do a dyno tune when I finish my car...I dont know how to work a turner and not that experienced with what exactly the engine will need for diff times...but im still looking into everything so u never know
You won't learn how to operate one or get the experience any younger.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Road Trip!

dreamstang is unknown around these parts
It's not as relevant to me cause I'm running a carb.but IMO I think something of this caliber may scare beginning modders.there is a lot of things that can be altered and people may think that they can really screw things up.but I'm sure there is a way to undo certain changes.

But with that being said it seems pretty simple to learn and if it was me some good studying and messing around with it would do the job.it seems like the user interface is setup pretty nicely!I think I would purchase if I had efi.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
It's not as relevant to me cause I'm running a carb.but IMO I think something of this caliber may scare beginning modders.there is a lot of things that can be altered and people may think that they can really screw things up.but I'm sure there is a way to undo certain changes.

But with that being said it seems pretty simple to learn and if it was me some good studying and messing around with it would do the job.it seems like the user interface is setup pretty nicely!I think I would purchase if I had efi.
Yeah knowing my luck I'd mess something up
Old 02-02-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post

Yeah, I can see where it might be intimidating, but you save your initial factory tune and you can go back to it when you need to. Plus, AFM will send you a beginning tune to start with once you fill out a sheet on your engine and its modifications.

Like any tuner it has a learning curve, but to me it seems a lot less complicated than others.
That and I'm one of those people who has the attitude of, "If it has buttons I'm gonna' push em' and if it can be modified I will try it."
Old 02-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
Road Trip!

dreamstang is unknown around these parts
yes thats true.it also says this:

If you’ve opened a data set, made changes, then decided that it was better before the data was changed, just turn the ignition off. All changes will be discarded when turned back on. Avoid doing this while driving!
After completing a data set you’re happy with, you can copy it to the next data set to use it as a good starting point for further modifications. For example: when Data Set 1 is just where you want it, save it, then you can reopen it and save it to Data Set 2 so that all of the modifications will not have to be re-keyed into each data set. Your thumbs will thank you!
Old 02-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
yes thats true.it also says this:

If you’ve opened a data set, made changes, then decided that it was better before the data was changed, just turn the ignition off. All changes will be discarded when turned back on. Avoid doing this while driving!
After completing a data set you’re happy with, you can copy it to the next data set to use it as a good starting point for further modifications. For example: when Data Set 1 is just where you want it, save it, then you can reopen it and save it to Data Set 2 so that all of the modifications will not have to be re-keyed into each data set. Your thumbs will thank you!
Yup!
I especially like the idea of being able to save a working data set and then saving it again as a base for further modification.

AFM provides you with that first data set and you can modify it from there. Once you get your first really good tune from that base and everything is working well I would save it as data set 2 and again as data set 3. Then you can use data set 3 for further refinement.
Old 02-04-2012, 03:56 AM   #10

91redfox is unknown around these parts
Can you shut off systems in the car like if you delete your egr. Can you tell it to disable the check engine light codes that you get after removing it? I have been looking at getting a pms for quite some time now.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:04 AM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91redfox View Post
Can you shut off systems in the car like if you delete your egr. Can you tell it to disable the check engine light codes that you get after removing it? I have been looking at getting a pms for quite some time now.
I have not seen anything about it disabling CEL codes.
It has its own on board diagnostics which reset when you turn off the power to it.
See the instructions at the bottom of the page in the link to the PMS above in the first post.

To disable the CEL for the EGR you can use an EGR Eliminator, which you can either purchase or build yourself.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EGR CEL Eliminator.gif
Views:	241
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	39994  
Old 02-04-2012, 10:33 PM   #12

91redfox is unknown around these parts

i have a bama chip to disable it now i was just wondering if i could do it with the pms. thanks for the info though.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:52 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91redfox View Post
i have a bama chip to disable it now i was just wondering if i could do it with the pms. thanks for the info though.
I did not see anything in the manual stating that it can, but you don't need a chip to disable it.
It's much less expensive to just purchase or fabricate the EGR Eliminator above.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
Titus Wadicus
Regular

svtlx is unknown around these parts
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
I did not see anything in the manual stating that it can, but you don't need a chip to disable it.
It's much less expensive to just purchase or fabricate the EGR Eliminator above.
yup, ur right. i bought my egr eliminator for 19bucks shipped from ebay..lol.

im late to this thread. but i too have noticed u have a tendacy to suggest expensive options.

example, a while back a guy was considering a 351 n/a swap. he wanted to know if he could use his stock pcm, and u suggested a "pms" or sum other aftermarket product. u never told him his stock pcm would work, u left him under the impression he needed a tuner for his application. when there's tons of guys running stock 5 liter pcms with 351s' reliably.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 02-28-2012, 10:48 AM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
im late to this thread. but i too have noticed u have a tendacy to suggest expensive options.

example, a while back a guy was considering a 351 n/a swap. he wanted to know if he could use his stock pcm, and u suggested a "pms" or sum other aftermarket product. u never told him his stock pcm would work, u left him under the impression he needed a tuner for his application. when there's tons of guys running stock 5 liter pcms with 351s' reliably.
I make suggestions or give advice for free at a cost to me of my time and efforts in doing so.
I do this of my own free will in an effort to help my fellow Mustang owners as much as I am able to do so.
No one is paying me for my advice or for me making suggestions on how to do anything, whether it be cheap or expensive, so there is no ulterior motive for me to mislead anyone for any purpose.

My suggestions and advice are just that and nothing more, no one is under any obligation to heed them in any way.
It is up to the individual as to whether or not they choose to utilize or disregard what I say.

I would not purposely mislead anyone, but due to injuries I have suffered I get very tired from being unable to sleep properly or I may be slightly befuddled at times from pain medications. I do make mistakes, but not on purpose or for any "evil" intent I can assure you.

If I catch anything that I have said that is incorrect or find a mistake I have made, I correct it and admit to it as soon as I am aware of it or if someone has pointed it out to me.

If you will point out the thread where I did that, I will correct what I said if it needs correction.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #16
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
I make suggestions or give advice for free at a cost to me of my time and efforts in doing so.
I do this of my own free will in an effort to help my fellow Mustang owners as much as I am able to do so.
No one is paying me for my advice or for me making suggestions on how to do anything, whether it be cheap or expensive, so there is no ulterior motive for me to mislead anyone for any purpose.

My suggestions and advice are just that and nothing more, no one is under any obligation to heed them in any way.
It is up to the individual as to whether or not they choose to utilize or disregard what I say.

I would not purposely mislead anyone, but due to injuries I have suffered I get very tired from being unable to sleep properly or I may be slightly befuddled at times from pain medications. I do make mistakes, but not on purpose or for any "evil" intent I can assure you.

If I catch anything that I have said that is incorrect or find a mistake I have made, I correct it and admit to it as soon as I am aware of it or if someone has pointed it out to me.

If you will point out the thread where I did that, I will correct what I said if it needs correction.
first let me apologize... u took that the wrong way. im in no way saying you give "bad advice" or "evil motives". i was only sayn your advice or options u suggest are expensive (sometimes). or ill say, u dont give them the cheaper options along with the pricier aftermarket options is maybe wut i meant to say.

i understand wut u mean by free advice..and its their option to heed or not. but ppl do look up to us senior members.. and i personaly try to give ppl inexpensive (when applicalbe)options so ppl dont get sticker shock on potential projects for those that are "financialy challenged". or scared away from a project cause of cost.

again, i apologize for not stating my reply better.... i didnt mean to come across that way

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 02-28-2012, 11:27 AM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

It ain't no biggie.

I do tend to suggest more expensive ways of doing things, but I have been burned so many times from trying to low buck things that I have ended up being skeptical about trying them at all for the most part.

Example: Buying used computers.
After purchasing 2-3 of them used and every one of them being bad, I gave up and bought a new one. I spent several hours slogging through the mud and gunk in a salvage yard searching out used computers in the quest to save money and in each case it was a total waste of time and effort.
I spent several more hours installing them then finally determining they were defunct.

I gave up and purchased a new one and viola! it worked properly the first time.

Now just this one experience in itself did not give rise to my aversion.
Instead it has been a lifetime of similar experiences involving engines, transmissions, rearends, etc. etc.. All of them having some issue that ended up costing me as much or more than new parts would have in the first place.
I also have an aversion to doing things over once I have done them. Therefore I never buy used alternators, starters, water pumps, etc., either.

So you can maybe understand now why I usually don't bother to recommend the low dollar approach to mechanical or electrical problems.
Most people should be aware that, that option is open to them if they choose it, but I don't usually recommend it because of the past problems I have encountered in my quest to save a buck.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:55 AM   #18
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
It ain't no biggie.

I do tend to suggest more expensive ways of doing things, but I have been burned so many times from trying to low buck things that I have ended up being skeptical about trying them at all for the most part.

Example: Buying used computers.
After purchasing 2-3 of them used and every one of them being bad, I gave up and bought a new one. I spent several hours slogging through the mud and gunk in a salvage yard searching out used computers in the quest to save money and in each case it was a total waste of time and effort.
I spent several more hours installing them then finally determining they were defunct.

I gave up and purchased a new one and viola! it worked properly the first time.

Now just this one experience in itself did not give rise to my aversion.
Instead it has been a lifetime of similar experiences involving engines, transmissions, rearends, etc. etc.. All of them having some issue that ended up costing me as much or more than new parts would have in the first place.
I also have an aversion to doing things over once I have done them. Therefore I never buy used alternators, starters, water pumps, etc., either.

So you can maybe understand now why I usually don't bother to recommend the low dollar approach to mechanical or electrical problems.
Most people should be aware that, that option is open to them if they choose it, but I don't usually recommend it because of the past problems I have encountered in my quest to save a buck.
u have a good point. i usualy have more time than money though...lol. i have 16 dollars in my 3g alternator upgrade. and 47 bucks tied up in my 30lbs injector upgrade for my blower with 3 back-up injectors.

so sometimes it works out.lol . but as u stated, there's definatley sum stuff that should never b purchased used.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:22 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
u have a good point. i usualy have more time than money though...lol. i have 16 dollars in my 3g alternator upgrade. and 47 bucks tied up in my 30lbs injector upgrade for my blower with 3 back-up injectors.

so sometimes it works out.lol . but as u stated, there's definatley sum stuff that should never b purchased used.
I have more time than money too, so I understand what you are saying. I have spent years gathering the parts for my supercharger install and I can finally see the end of the tunnel.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

1995boss is unknown around these parts

Trojan. Do you know how complicated install and the use of the PMS would be?

I would still get my car on a dyno along with a PMS.
Old 05-03-2012, 04:42 AM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995boss View Post
Trojan. Do you know how complicated install and the use of the PMS would be?

I would still get my car on a dyno along with a PMS.
From the research I have done (I have bought mine, but not been able to put it to use yet. ) it does have a learning curve, but it appears to be much less complicated than other types of tuners. I don't think it is going to be hard to figure out. If you get the logging software too, you probably won't even need to dyno it unless you just want to see the numbers.

If you do dyno it, try to find a dyno shop that is familiar with using them or learn it yourself (best choice IMO) so you can properly tune the car on the dyno.

I plan to get the logging software and a dual wide band O2 to help with tuning my car and it will probably never see a dyno as there are not any reasonably close to me.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:40 AM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter

Videos on using the PMS:

Vid 1
Vid 2
Vid 3

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2014 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT