Fuel system Q? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-04-2012, 10:12 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Fuel system Q?

So with the money I got saved now instead of doing the boss motor im getting the on3 turbo kit, so I was thinking fuel system would be the 340lph pump and 60# injectors. My question is will my stock rails be fine for now untill I get the new motor next year? And is the stock fuel filter up to the part for the new pump or should I get a new after market one and what brand if so?
Thanks

Current- Stock long block 118k, MAC CAI, 75mm Pro M MAF, PP 70mm TB,BBK shorties,BBK O/R H, Magnaflow catback, KING cobra clutch, 3.73 Gears

Soon to be Vortech blown with a built 306 Numbers and times to follow!!!
cgarray17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 11:25 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Fuel system Q?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarray17 View Post
So with the money I got saved now instead of doing the boss motor im getting the on3 turbo kit, so I was thinking fuel system would be the 340lph pump and 60# injectors. My question is will my stock rails be fine for now untill I get the new motor next year? And is the stock fuel filter up to the part for the new pump or should I get a new after market one and what brand if so?
Thanks
That's going to depend entirely on how many mods you already have, how much boost you run and how much power you make.
At some point the stock fuel system's tiny fuel lines will become totally inadequate.
Exactly when and what that point is I'm not sure.
To hazard a guess I would say sometime soon after you reach the 500 HP level.

You can stave off that point by using the 340 LPH in tank pump and maybe a bit longer by adding an external booster pump, but eventually you will get to the point where there just isn't anything else you can do but change out the small pickup tubes in the tank and replace the factory lines with larger ones.

Several manufacturers (Aeromotive for one) make complete fuel systems from the tank to the engine.
If money were no object I would have already changed mine out, but as these systems are very expensive I'm left with no choice but to extract what I can from my existing system and I will have to upgrade my system one piece at a time as the need develops.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Well it's a stock long block with a street heat intake and I was planing on only 6-7 psi with a good tune ( my local guy is one of the best 5.0 tuners in the newengland area so I'm lucky there) so I'll see what he thinks I can get away with power wise, like I said its only till next winter when I'll be getting a boss motor then it's 650+ I'll be looking for then

Current- Stock long block 118k, MAC CAI, 75mm Pro M MAF, PP 70mm TB,BBK shorties,BBK O/R H, Magnaflow catback, KING cobra clutch, 3.73 Gears

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well it's a stock long block with a street heat intake and I was planing on only 6-7 psi with a good tune ( my local guy is one of the best 5.0 tuners in the newengland area so I'm lucky there) so I'll see what he thinks I can get away with power wise, like I said its only till next winter when I'll be getting a boss motor then it's 650+ I'll be looking for then
Well, sometimes I get carried away.

You should be fine with the pump and injectors you have.
The injectors may be a bit big for now, but hopefully your tuner can tune for them and you will have them for your next level of performance.

I talked with a tech at AFM some time back and he recommended the 60lb injectors for my project which will reach HP levels similar to yours at 600+ HP.

The stock fuel filter should work ok too, but I would install a new one to begin with.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:59 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

What brand filter should I get and are they as simple as it is replacing the stock one?

Old 02-04-2012, 12:29 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
What brand filter should I get and are they as simple as it is replacing the stock one?
I think just a stock filter of your own choosing will work for you to begin with.
Once you reach the point that you need to upgrade the entire system, most providers like Aeromotive will provide a filter in their packages. I have a drawing that I re-did for AFM sometime ago. I will post it below for you to reference if you need it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.0 Fuel Sys Diag 3.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	39996  
Old 02-04-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Cool thanks alot! Ya I looked at the full kit from them but it's expensive so I'll see when it comes install time if I can get a few more bucks together to get it lol

Old 02-04-2012, 03:37 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Cool thanks alot! Ya I looked at the full kit from them but it's expensive so I'll see when it comes install time if I can get a few more bucks together to get it lol
You're Welcome, glad I could help.

The cost of the kits almost gave me heart failure, which is why I'll end up doing mine a bit at a time.
Old 02-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #9
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

I think just a stock filter of your own choosing will work for you to begin with.
Once you reach the point that you need to upgrade the entire system, most providers like Aeromotive will provide a filter in their packages. I have a drawing that I re-did for AFM sometime ago. I will post it below for you to reference if you need it.
Not to but in on the thread,but I was wondering if u could explain the picture a little.I may be just having a brain fart , but u have 2 ports on the regulator.both outs are marked return(confused).and I can't tell which one goes to the fuel rails.it looks as if the one that should go to the motor loops around back into the split line and is capped off(maybe for expansion).like I said it confused me a little and I may just be having a brain fart. Thanx!
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Not to but in on the thread,but I was wondering if u could explain the picture a little.I may be just having a brain fart , but u have 2 ports on the regulator.both outs are marked return(confused).and I can't tell which one goes to the fuel rails.it looks as if the one that should go to the motor loops around back into the split line and is capped off(maybe for expansion).like I said it confused me a little and I may just be having a brain fart. Thanx!
Well it is not my diagram, but I will try.
The diagram came from AFM and is an example of how they route their high performance race car's fuel.

The fuel comes out of the tank through the filter and the pump which pressurizes it and sends it through the Y-block which feeds the fuel into the rails/injectors at the back.

The excess/unused fuel then comes out the front of the rails and is routed to the regulator which returns any excess fuel to the tank.

The lines for the feed to the Y and the return are not connected. The return passes over the feed. You will notice the return is a -8 line and the feed to the Y is a -10 line.
Old 02-04-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Well it is not my diagram, but I will try.
The diagram came from AFM and is an example of how they route their high performance race car's fuel.

The fuel comes out of the tank through the filter and the pump which pressurizes it and sends it through the Y-block which feeds the fuel into the rails/injectors at the back.

The excess/unused fuel then comes out the front of the rails and is routed to the regulator which returns any excess fuel to the tank.

The lines for the feed to the Y and the return are not connected. The return passes over the feed. You will notice the return is a -8 line and the feed to the Y is a -10 line.
Ok.It was just confusing cause the rails were not labeled.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
Ok.It was just confusing cause the rails were not labeled.
I hadn't thought of that being an issue.
I just went from a hand drawing they had and the rails were not labeled in the hand drawing so I didn't label them in the digital drawing.
I can fix that though.

Fixed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5.0 Fuel Sys Diag 3.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	40032  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT