Rockers?! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
88gtCc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 59
Rockers?!

What are they? Also how can I tell which ones I have? I have gt-40 heads but havent gotten the chance to open them up yet (came with the car).
88gtCc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-08-2012, 10:49 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Rockers?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gtCc View Post
What are they? Also how can I tell which ones I have? I have gt-40 heads but havent gotten the chance to open them up yet (came with the car).
If they are a good name brand they will have the name or logo and ratio stamped on them somewhere.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:03 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
88gtCc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 59
Alright, if they dont say anything on them I can assume I have "stock" 1.6's? Im also not entirely sure what their function is; this is the first car Ive had that has had them...I think. Lets say for example: I have gt40 heads, TrickFlow Stg1 cam, gt40 upper and lower intake (cobra one if that matters), 24lbs injectors and maf calibrated for it. Would I see any decent gain getting new rockers or should I not worry about them? Was thinking about going with a turbo soon (on3 with anderson pmu and fuel upgrades) just want to make sure I have everything in order first
88gtCc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Rockers?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gtCc View Post
Alright, if they dont say anything on them I can assume I have "stock" 1.6's? Im also not entirely sure what their function is; this is the first car Ive had that has had them...I think. Lets say for example: I have gt40 heads, TrickFlow Stg1 cam, gt40 upper and lower intake (cobra one if that matters), 24lbs injectors and maf calibrated for it. Would I see any decent gain getting new rockers or should I not worry about them? Was thinking about going with a turbo soon (on3 with anderson pmu and fuel upgrades) just want to make sure I have everything in order first
If you have stock rockers they will be stamped steel with no roller tips or fulcrum bearings.
Roller Rocker Arms do not make any horsepower.
They free up a bit of power by removing the friction at the fulcrum and tip.
A rocker arm's function is to open and close the cylinder head valves in sync with how the cam is ground.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
88gtCc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 59
Thank you Trojan!
88gtCc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Rockers?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gtCc View Post
Thank you Trojan!
No problem, Good Luck with your project.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Rockers?!

Speaking of rockers, I just ran across these "stainless" roller rockers on eBay.Normally I would advise against buying things like this on eBay, but I have purchased parts from this guy before and he was honest and legit.
This appears to be a heck of a good deal on these arms.
Note that they are "stud mount" so you would have to make sure you had the correct style heads or be willing to buy the adapter kit for pedestal rocker arm heads though.
He has lots of other performance and dress up parts too.


White Performance


If you look up the cost of SS rocker arms from Comp Cams or other suppliers you can see how much of a bargain these might be.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
mystang50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: houston
Region: Texas
Posts: 1,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Speaking of rockers, I just ran across these "stainless" roller rockers on eBay.Normally I would advise against buying things like this on eBay, but I have purchased parts from this guy before and he was honest and legit.
This appears to be a heck of a good deal on these arms.
Note that they are "stud mount" so you would have to make sure you had the correct style heads or be willing to buy the adapter kit for pedestal rocker arm heads though.
He has lots of other performance and dress up parts too.

White Performance

If you look up the cost of SS rocker arms from Comp Cams or other suppliers you can see how much of a bargain these might be.
Shoot yeah that is one Hell of a deal...wish I had a paypal and a eBay account!!
__________________
1995 5.0 u/d,cai,t/b,shorty headers,x pipe,flows 40's,373 gears, alum. driveshaft, alum. radiator, shift kit, e-cam, ported upper and lower intake, 100 shot of spray, 2100 stall, black 0304 cobras. suspension: upper and lower control arms, sub frame connecters, and springs all SVE
mystang50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 04:15 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
Speaking of rockers, I just ran across these "stainless" roller rockers on eBay.Normally I would advise against buying things like this on eBay, but I have purchased parts from this guy before and he was honest and legit.
This appears to be a heck of a good deal on these arms.
Note that they are "stud mount" so you would have to make sure you had the correct style heads or be willing to buy the adapter kit for pedestal rocker arm heads though.
He has lots of other performance and dress up parts too.

White Performance

If you look up the cost of SS rocker arms from Comp Cams or other suppliers you can see how much of a bargain these might be.
Crane Cam makes a kit for $110
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
88gtCc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Illinois
Posts: 59
So if I were to get some rockers it would free up some HP? Whats the average gain for my approx mods; 10hp-ish? Trying to weigh out my options atm. Thinking gears next (stock gears are looooong), but Im always up for suggestions!
88gtCc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:18 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Rockers?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
Crane Cam makes a kit for $110


A stud conversion kit?
Those used to be around $50.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Rockers?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88gtCc View Post
So if I were to get some rockers it would free up some HP? Whats the average gain for my approx mods; 10hp-ish? Trying to weigh out my options atm. Thinking gears next (stock gears are looooong), but Im always up for suggestions!
I have seen claims that RR arms can free up to 20 HP, but I'd bet 10 maybe 15 at the most.
If you do all the mods you were talking about and it's properly tuned you should see in the neighborhood of 25 to maybe 50 HP increase I would think.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
5.slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Delaware
Posts: 270
So for gt40p heads I need pedestal mount rockers?
5.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

A stud conversion kit?
Those used to be around $50.
I bought mine through summit and it was $109 for the studs, guide plates and guide plate inserts
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Rockers?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.slow View Post
So for gt40p heads I need pedestal mount rockers?
I think so.
Just look at them and see if they are stud or pedestal.
The pedestal rocker arms are bolted on.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Rockers?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94 View Post
I bought mine through summit and it was $109 for the studs, guide plates and guide plate inserts
Wow, those used to be only $50.
I'm having a hard time believing they doubled in price.
But, I checked and they have just like you say.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:39 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
5.slow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Delaware
Posts: 270
Gonna get the 1.7 roller rockers, do I need larger valve covers for those? If so, will I also need a spacer between my upper and lower intake ?
5.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 01:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
WhiteCobra94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,435
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.slow
Gonna get the 1.7 roller rockers, do I need larger valve covers for those? If so, will I also need a spacer between my upper and lower intake ?
Yes you will need larger valve covers and you might need a spacer but check and see how much clearance you have now!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Color match paint the '10-'12 GT oem rockers and valances M3hunter 2011-2014 Mustang GT 17 12-09-2011 07:27 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



08:04 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.