5.0 motor question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2007, 02:40 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2
5.0 motor question

I have a 5.0 motor for sale the is in a 87' Thunderbird, is it true that Mustangs have the same motor ?
mattyohann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-26-2007, 09:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
silverstangboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: Alabama
Posts: 583
Re: 5.0 motor question

they do not.

camshaft is not the same
heads are but chamber volume is probably different
induction I believe is the same
serpentine belt system is completely different besides still using a reverse rotation water pump.
oil sump system is different..

Ideally this engine is very similar to the mustang fox 5 liter but not exactly, I have seen people put the thunderbird engine in a fox, most people usually keep the front end accessories of the mustang engine though.
__________________


93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 01:12 AM   #3
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 2
Re: 5.0 motor question

If anyone wants it Email myohann@centurytel.net
mattyohann is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-17-2008, 08:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mercedez L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Region: California
Posts: 136
Re: 5.0 motor question

No at one time the Lincoln Continental had a 5.0 the 2 door model. I think it was a LSC model?
Mercedez L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:41 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vinnietbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 64
Re: 5.0 motor question

O.K.,here's the deal.The H.O Mustang had E7 heads.The Bird has E6's.The upper intake is different.Visually they look the same,but the Mustang's is better.The Stang has a 60mm throttlebody,the Bird has a 50.The Stang has valve reliefes and forged pistons,the Bird has flat tops,not forged.The H.O Stang engine has the High Output cam with the 351 firing order,and the bird has the low power (150 horsepower) standard 5.0 cam with the standard 302 firing order.The Stang also got factory headers,the Bird didn't.As for the Lincoln,there was a Licoln mark VII with the 5.0 H.O engine.In '86 and '87,it had he forged flat top pistons,and was the same engine as the '86 GT Mustang.Although the Stang went to Mass Air,the Lincoln Mark VII did not,although it did continue to use the Stang engine.In '88,the Mark VII got valve relief pistons.Now you know the rest of the story.
Vinnietbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mercedez L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Region: California
Posts: 136
Thumbs up Re: 5.0 motor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnietbird View Post
O.K.,here's the deal.The H.O Mustang had E7 heads.The Bird has E6's.The upper intake is different.Visually they look the same,but the Mustang's is better.The Stang has a 60mm throttlebody,the Bird has a 50.The Stang has valve reliefes and forged pistons,the Bird has flat tops,not forged.The H.O Stang engine has the High Output cam with the 351 firing order,and the bird has the low power (150 horsepower) standard 5.0 cam with the standard 302 firing order.The Stang also got factory headers,the Bird didn't.As for the Lincoln,there was a Licoln mark VII with the 5.0 H.O engine.In '86 and '87,it had he forged flat top pistons,and was the same engine as the '86 GT Mustang.Although the Stang went to Mass Air,the Lincoln Mark VII did not,although it did continue to use the Stang engine.In '88,the Mark VII got valve relief pistons.Now you know the rest of the story.
The California GT 5.0 in 1988 came with Mass Air before all the other states.
Mercedez L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:53 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mercedez L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Region: California
Posts: 136
Re: 5.0 motor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnietbird View Post
O.K.,here's the deal.The H.O Mustang had E7 heads.The Bird has E6's.The upper intake is different.Visually they look the same,but the Mustang's is better.The Stang has a 60mm throttlebody,the Bird has a 50.The Stang has valve reliefes and forged pistons,the Bird has flat tops,not forged.The H.O Stang engine has the High Output cam with the 351 firing order,and the bird has the low power (150 horsepower) standard 5.0 cam with the standard 302 firing order.The Stang also got factory headers,the Bird didn't.As for the Lincoln,there was a Licoln mark VII with the 5.0 H.O engine.In '86 and '87,it had he forged flat top pistons,and was the same engine as the '86 GT Mustang.Although the Stang went to Mass Air,the Lincoln Mark VII did not,although it did continue to use the Stang engine.In '88,the Mark VII got valve relief pistons.Now you know the rest of the story.
So did that Lincoln Mark VII have a comfortable soft ride unlike the Stang?
Mercedez L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 07:49 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vinnietbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 64
Re: 5.0 motor question

True about the California sold Stangs having Mass Air.The Mark VII,and Mark VII in LSC form had an air ride suspension.The cars were great for comfort,but many of the cars suffer from worn components which cause the suspension to not raise or lower,or both as it should,and parts can be very expensive.Many Mark VII owners swapped in Cougar or Thunderbird front K-members and standard suspension,and standard springs in the back instead of the air ride pieces.
__________________
1988 Thunderbird Sport...GT-40P engine, ported heads,Crane Gold 1.7 roller rockers, TFS-1 cam,Cobra intake,24# injectors,Mass Air, 8.8 with 3.55's, BBK headers, Pypes X-Pipe,40 series Flowmasters,3 row radiator,Taurus fan,17x9 and 17x10 10th ann. Cobra wheels,and more.....
Vinnietbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:59 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mercedez L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Region: California
Posts: 136
Thumbs up Re: 5.0 motor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnietbird View Post
True about the California sold Stangs having Mass Air.The Mark VII,and Mark VII in LSC form had an air ride suspension.The cars were great for comfort,but many of the cars suffer from worn components which cause the suspension to not raise or lower,or both as it should,and parts can be very expensive.Many Mark VII owners swapped in Cougar or Thunderbird front K-members and standard suspension,and standard springs in the back instead of the air ride pieces.
The idea of having a great handling car with a nice soft ride that protects you from these bad roads and doesn't beat you up with straight line performance is very appealing.
Mercedez L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 06:04 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
rocknbronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 831
Re: 5.0 motor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedez L. View Post
So did that Lincoln Mark VII have a comfortable soft ride unlike the Stang?
No just a bigger backseat.
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:58 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mercedez L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Region: California
Posts: 136
Thumbs up Re: 5.0 motor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknbronco View Post
No just a bigger backseat.
2:
Mercedez L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:48 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
rocknbronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Region: Tennessee
Posts: 831
Re: 5.0 motor question

:drive:
rocknbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 11:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mercedez L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Region: California
Posts: 136
Re: 5.0 motor question

2:
Mercedez L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 10:43 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
silverstangboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Region: Alabama
Posts: 583
Re: 5.0 motor question

cool info vinnie,

i've never been a junkyard builder myself, though congrats to anyone that is/does, I didn't know there was so much different about the bird motor and the mustang... most of the stuff on that list though can be fixed with any decent build, even the later mustang engines ran cast pistons, albeit they still have valve reliefs in them, im not a fan of putting forged in a low HP build anyways, with a standard compression height cast puts up to alot more abuse than people let on.

got any pictures of your bird vinnie?
__________________


93 mustang notch
~450hp 331 stroker - Sold
silverstangboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:37 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vinnietbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 64
Re: 5.0 motor question

I'll see what I can find as far as pics go.Stay tuned.
__________________
1988 Thunderbird Sport...GT-40P engine, ported heads,Crane Gold 1.7 roller rockers, TFS-1 cam,Cobra intake,24# injectors,Mass Air, 8.8 with 3.55's, BBK headers, Pypes X-Pipe,40 series Flowmasters,3 row radiator,Taurus fan,17x9 and 17x10 10th ann. Cobra wheels,and more.....
Vinnietbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:40 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vinnietbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 64
Re: 5.0 motor question

Here's the engine,and a burnout shot on main Street.Those were polished Turbo Coupe wheels which were sold and the car wears 17x9 Cobra R wheels now.It in a few colors now as well,we're getting ready to repaint,added a Turbo Coupe hood and a few other things.This is the only shot I have until I break out the camara again.

__________________
1988 Thunderbird Sport...GT-40P engine, ported heads,Crane Gold 1.7 roller rockers, TFS-1 cam,Cobra intake,24# injectors,Mass Air, 8.8 with 3.55's, BBK headers, Pypes X-Pipe,40 series Flowmasters,3 row radiator,Taurus fan,17x9 and 17x10 10th ann. Cobra wheels,and more.....
Vinnietbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:41 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vinnietbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 64
Re: 5.0 motor question

A couple more....


__________________
1988 Thunderbird Sport...GT-40P engine, ported heads,Crane Gold 1.7 roller rockers, TFS-1 cam,Cobra intake,24# injectors,Mass Air, 8.8 with 3.55's, BBK headers, Pypes X-Pipe,40 series Flowmasters,3 row radiator,Taurus fan,17x9 and 17x10 10th ann. Cobra wheels,and more.....
Vinnietbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 12:33 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mercedez L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Region: California
Posts: 136
Thumbs up Re: 5.0 motor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnietbird View Post
A couple more....


Looks good
Mercedez L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 05:31 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vinnietbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 64
Re: 5.0 motor question

Thanks a lot.Wait 'til I finish.It'll be a totally different car.
__________________
1988 Thunderbird Sport...GT-40P engine, ported heads,Crane Gold 1.7 roller rockers, TFS-1 cam,Cobra intake,24# injectors,Mass Air, 8.8 with 3.55's, BBK headers, Pypes X-Pipe,40 series Flowmasters,3 row radiator,Taurus fan,17x9 and 17x10 10th ann. Cobra wheels,and more.....
Vinnietbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 12:23 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mercedez L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Region: California
Posts: 136
Thumbs up Re: 5.0 motor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnietbird View Post
Thanks a lot.Wait 'til I finish.It'll be a totally different car.
keep us all in touch with your results.
Mercedez L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:43 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vinnietbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 64
Re: 5.0 motor question

Will do.I just picked up another Turbo Coupe rear at the boneyard and will install it soon instead of rebuilding the one in the car now.I hope to have the 5 speed in before the end of March.We'l see what happens.
__________________
1988 Thunderbird Sport...GT-40P engine, ported heads,Crane Gold 1.7 roller rockers, TFS-1 cam,Cobra intake,24# injectors,Mass Air, 8.8 with 3.55's, BBK headers, Pypes X-Pipe,40 series Flowmasters,3 row radiator,Taurus fan,17x9 and 17x10 10th ann. Cobra wheels,and more.....
Vinnietbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:51 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mercedez L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Region: California
Posts: 136
Question Re: 5.0 motor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnietbird View Post
Will do.I just picked up another Turbo Coupe rear at the boneyard and will install it soon instead of rebuilding the one in the car now.I hope to have the 5 speed in before the end of March.We'l see what happens.
Being more of a luxury car wouldn't an automatic be better in that t ype of vehicle?
Mercedez L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 07:47 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vinnietbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 64
Re: 5.0 motor question

Not really.My car weighs in at 3300 pounds.Not bad whn you compare it to a same year Stang GT.The biggest difference is that the wheelbase is about 6 inches longer.The suspension,drivetrain,exhaust,all of it is Stang parts.I had to extend the tailpipes a few inches,and the mid pipes a few.No big deal.I've already spanked many Mustangs with this car,and a 5 speed will let me take better advantage of the engine I have.
__________________
1988 Thunderbird Sport...GT-40P engine, ported heads,Crane Gold 1.7 roller rockers, TFS-1 cam,Cobra intake,24# injectors,Mass Air, 8.8 with 3.55's, BBK headers, Pypes X-Pipe,40 series Flowmasters,3 row radiator,Taurus fan,17x9 and 17x10 10th ann. Cobra wheels,and more.....
Vinnietbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 05:12 PM   #24
Registered User
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Region: California
Posts: 18
Re: 5.0 motor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercedez L. View Post
No at one time the Lincoln Continental had a 5.0 the 2 door model. I think it was a LSC model?
Hey there Mercedez I Like the new Pic
__________________
Truth is Truth whether YOU believe it or not:)
www.bigdmustangs.com
mustero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:50 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mercedez L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Region: California
Posts: 136
Wink Re: 5.0 motor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustero View Post
Hey there Mercedez I Like the new Pic
Thank you
Mercedez L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 11:52 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mercedez L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Region: California
Posts: 136
Re: 5.0 motor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnietbird View Post
Not really.My car weighs in at 3300 pounds.Not bad whn you compare it to a same year Stang GT.The biggest difference is that the wheelbase is about 6 inches longer.The suspension,drivetrain,exhaust,all of it is Stang parts.I had to extend the tailpipes a few inches,and the mid pipes a few.No big deal.I've already spanked many Mustangs with this car,and a 5 speed will let me take better advantage of the engine I have.
Why don't you get that car coming out the CTS-V CAD it comes with both auto trans or manual. 550 HP
Mercedez L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 07:12 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vinnietbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 64
Re: 5.0 motor question

I think my next car will be a 2004 Mustang GT.I wouldn't trade my Bird for anything.It's not necessarily worth much since it is a non-collectible car,but,it has a lot of personal value since I built it (and still at it) with my own hands from the ground up.I have a ways to go with it still.If I could have anything I wanted,it would be a 1970 Plymouth Hemi Superbird.Awesome,just awesome.
__________________
1988 Thunderbird Sport...GT-40P engine, ported heads,Crane Gold 1.7 roller rockers, TFS-1 cam,Cobra intake,24# injectors,Mass Air, 8.8 with 3.55's, BBK headers, Pypes X-Pipe,40 series Flowmasters,3 row radiator,Taurus fan,17x9 and 17x10 10th ann. Cobra wheels,and more.....
Vinnietbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008, 10:03 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mercedez L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Region: California
Posts: 136
Talking Re: 5.0 motor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnietbird View Post
I think my next car will be a 2004 Mustang GT.I wouldn't trade my Bird for anything.It's not necessarily worth much since it is a non-collectible car,but,it has a lot of personal value since I built it (and still at it) with my own hands from the ground up.I have a ways to go with it still.If I could have anything I wanted,it would be a 1970 Plymouth Hemi Superbird.Awesome,just awesome.
You are probably right as is the same in my situation an 88 5.0 GT in excellent condition wouldn't bring in enough $$$ to make a difference to get another vehicle and so since it has been in my family for 20 years we keep it. Sentimental value?
2004 GT I would go for the 2003 0r 2004 Mach 1
Mercedez L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:04 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Vinnietbird's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Region: Oklahoma
Posts: 64
Re: 5.0 motor question

I like the Mach 1 a lot,but for the money,I can get a GT and a few peformance upgrades and still be cheaper then the Mach.The Stang would become my daily driver while my time and effort would apply to the Bird.
__________________
1988 Thunderbird Sport...GT-40P engine, ported heads,Crane Gold 1.7 roller rockers, TFS-1 cam,Cobra intake,24# injectors,Mass Air, 8.8 with 3.55's, BBK headers, Pypes X-Pipe,40 series Flowmasters,3 row radiator,Taurus fan,17x9 and 17x10 10th ann. Cobra wheels,and more.....
Vinnietbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 05:45 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mercedez L.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Region: California
Posts: 136
Re: 5.0 motor question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinnietbird View Post
I like the Mach 1 a lot,but for the money,I can get a GT and a few peformance upgrades and still be cheaper then the Mach.The Stang would become my daily driver while my time and effort would apply to the Bird.
That is a great idea.
Mercedez L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
hot to tell the dif between PI motor and reg motor Keto77 1996-2004 Mustang GT 13 07-29-2009 01:03 AM
What motor..... bullitt482 General Car Discussion 9 02-16-2007 05:44 PM
New Best On the Motor v6stanger Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 4 02-25-2006 09:04 PM
New Motor GT-Eater Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 30 07-18-2005 01:01 AM
Motor swap question. ShwoffGT 1996-2004 Mustang GT 32 02-21-2005 10:57 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



12:22 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.