ugh..... Not what I wanted to see when opening my differential. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
ugh..... Not what I wanted to see when opening my differential.

Since getting the car on the road, I've had a pretty bad growl/whine in the rear end. Thought it was wheel bearings, and since I wanted to change the fluid anyway I figured I would just change them when I did that. Got the cover off the differential and found an ugly surprise. Someone installed some 4.10 gears and didn't get it set right. So now I have to buy some new gears and an installation kit to get things fixed up. Looks like the pinion gear gear depth isn't set right and is rubbing the trac lok unit. So there is teeth marks on that and a few of the pinion gear teeth are chipped

Advertisement

Old 02-12-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Eek.that sux! It's also gonna make the new install harder because usually u can have a good starting spot using the old shims.but I don't think u will be able to.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Re: ugh..... Not what I wanted to see when opening my differential.

My thoughts exactly. I gotta find some specs and documentation on how to set it up for the first time.
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

OMG! That's terrible. I've never seen one that far off.

Check that carrier out really good before you re-use it and make sure it isn't cracked anywhere. Maybe use a Dremel or Die Grinder and sanding roll to remove any sharp edges or burrs caused by that.

I hate to say it, but with all the metal that's been through there, you might be better off with a new carrier and bearings.

Here is an article that will help you.
8.8 Gear Install
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I found that exact same article last night after going through about 10 that just tell you to install new gears based on previous measurments, which obviously wasn't gonna work for me. I'm hoping to just find a whole rearend for a good price. Then I can replace gears if I need to in that one.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:37 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80 View Post
I found that exact same article last night after going through about 10 that just tell you to install new gears based on previous measurments, which obviously wasn't gonna work for me. I'm hoping to just find a whole rearend for a good price. Then I can replace gears if I need to in that one.

Sorry, I hadn't read through it for quite some time.

Try this one - 8.8 Gear Install
Any other information you need can probably be found in a Chilton's or Haynes manual.

More information from Richmond Gear - They have a Tech Forum and email address for help too.

LRS - Traction-Loc Differentials
Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanx for the links, good info that should help me along the way!
Old 02-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Will a rearend out of a 97 GT bolt right up and work in my 86?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:34 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Will a rearend out of a 97 GT bolt right up and work in my 86?
Yes and no.
While it will physically bolt up it is wider by 3/4" to 1" on each side which will limit your wheel size choices.
It has a 5-bolt wheel pattern and the disk brakes and E-brake cables will also require some work.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

the owner said the axles have been swapped out with 4 lug's and drum brakes. (will that work since the 97 is wider?) Is it 1" difference PER side or overall?
Old 02-13-2012, 10:39 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey

WOW, I've never seen one that bad , someone obviously had NO Idea what they were doing when installing those gears ..................
Old 02-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
the owner said the axles have been swapped out with 4 lug's and drum brakes. (will that work since the 97 is wider?) Is it 1" difference PER side or overall?
Each side I believe.

Since all you will really need is a carrier and the gears, I wouldn't go to the hassles of swapping out the entire rearend.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Each side I believe.

Removed incorrect info. TH

Since all you will really need is a carrier and the gears, I wouldn't go to the hassles of swapping out the entire rearend.
Thanx for the info. I was wondering the same thing. He said the axles weren't in it because he was gonna change the seals and bearing? The price was right is the reason I was looking at a rear end. Carrier is 200, plus 250 for gears and installation kit. And I could get this whole rear for 100. But if it's not gonna work, then obviously its a waste of money. I'll keep searching, and thanx for the info.
Old 02-13-2012, 04:55 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Yeah but if you do yours you would basically have a new rear end as oppose to getting the used one.
IMO I would rebuild my own
88fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Thanx for the info. I was wondering the same thing. He said the axles weren't in it because he was gonna change the seals and bearing? The price was right is the reason I was looking at a rear end. Carrier is 200, plus 250 for gears and installation kit. And I could get this whole rear for 100. But if it's not gonna work, then obviously its a waste of money. I'll keep searching, and thanx for the info.

Maybe if the carrier is ok you could use it if the price is right?
Note that it will probably need to be rebuilt with new clutches, S-spring etc., so it would have to be cheap.

Be patient and search Craigslist & eBay otherwise.
I scored a brand new set of Ford 4.10 gears for $100 shipped a few years ago.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

I have found some info that says the housing is the exact same. The axles were longer only to accommodate the disc brakes. So if that is correct then putting the drum brakes with the fox axles should be the same thing as I have now. hmmm, guess I'm gonna have to just do some measuring and checking. My car has become a driving project (by necessity) so I don't have a whole lot of time. That's my biggest issue right now besides money. The car has to be driven. It's not the way I want to do it, but, I just don't have another option at this time. I'll keep you posted on what I do and as always I appreciate all the help.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I have found some info that says the housing is the exact same. The axles were longer only to accommodate the disc brakes. So if that is correct then putting the drum brakes with the fox axles should be the same thing as I have now. hmmm, guess I'm gonna have to just do some measuring and checking. My car has become a driving project (by necessity) so I don't have a whole lot of time. That's my biggest issue right now besides money. The car has to be driven. It's not the way I want to do it, but, I just don't have another option at this time. I'll keep you posted on what I do and as always I appreciate all the help.
That's correct. I did some research too after the fact when I should have done it before. I'm really Sorry for the misinformation.

I should have known that the housings are the same and the axle length is the only difference. I have researched this before, but most of my prior researched info is on an old PC hard drive and it's difficult to access. I need to get it all copied to one place so I can find it easier.

The axles I was so concerned about will fit the housing.
That's what happens when I try to cram too much into my already crowded memory center.
I do make mistakes, so it's good you checked for yourself too.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

That's correct. I did some research too after the fact when I should have done it before. I'm really Sorry for the misinformation.

I should have known that the housings are the same and the axle length is the only difference. I have researched this before, but most of my prior researched info is on an old PC hard drive and it's difficult to access. I need to get it all copied to one place so I can find it easier.

The axles I was so concerned about will fit the housing.
That's what happens when I try to cram too much into my already crowded memory center.
I do make mistakes, so it's good you checked for yourself too.
I have come to find you to be very intelligent and have tons of info. However I also like to research on my own as well anytime I get info from anyone. I seem to remember things more that way. Thanks for checking and posting though. I appreciate it.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I have come to find you to be very intelligent and have tons of info. However I also like to research on my own as well anytime I get info from anyone. I seem to remember things more that way. Thanks for checking and posting though. I appreciate it.
Thanks, I just feel terrible that I didn't take the time to research your issue properly and give you the correct information the first time.
I am glad you also do your own research, so many won't even take the time to do that for themselves, which could make a mistake by me even worse.
Best of luck to you with your current issue.

P.S. My younger brother has a set of 4.10 gears that he only ran for a short while, then decided he liked his previous 3.73's better and removed them.
If it will help you, I will try to talk him out of them for cheap if possible?
Let me know and I'll do what I can.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Thanks, I just feel terrible that I didn't take the time to research your issue properly and give you the correct information the first time.
I am glad you also do your own research, so many won't even take the time to do that for themselves, which could make a mistake by me even worse.
Best of luck to you with your current issue.

P.S. My younger brother has a set of 4.10 gears that he only ran for a short while, then decided he liked his previous 3.73's better and removed them.
If it will help you, I will try to talk him out of them for cheap if possible?
Let me know and I'll do what I can.
I appreciate the offer. However I've been seriously considering swapping to a c4 trans and will want a little higher ratio. Thinking the stock 3.55 or 3.27 but like everything else its still up in the air at this time.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:25 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I appreciate the offer. However I've been seriously considering swapping to a c4 trans and will want a little higher ratio. Thinking the stock 3.55 or 3.27 but like everything else its still up in the air at this time.
OK, Just remember a C-4 will hurt your gas mileage and pull more power from the engine than a manual transmission.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:35 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

lol, ya I know and have been told many times. A manual just isn't my style. And a C4 is better than the AOD in there now.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:51 PM   #23
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
lol, ya I know and have been told many times. A manual just isn't my style. And a C4 is better than the AOD in there now.
Either transmission is pretty weak in its stock form and will need to be modified and rebuilt to withstand much horsepower or abuse.
I can't begin to tell you how many C-4's I went actually through back in the day.
They'd fail, I'd take them out and throw them in the scrap heap and install a C-6 in their place.
I had so much trouble with them that I just hated them.

Nowadays they have finally figured out how to modify them for high HP levels, but I'm still leery of them after so many bad experiences.
The AOD you have can be built to handle the power too and you would get to keep the OD gear for better mileage.
Of course the choice is yours.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:39 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Picked up a rear end and a rust free hatch last night for $180 . Now to order rear control arms and new springs so I can do them all at the same time. I just want a minor drop so I think I'm going with the ford racing b springs. Not sure about control arms yet
Old 02-16-2012, 02:59 PM   #25
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Picked up a rear end and a rust free hatch last night for $180 . Now to order rear control arms and new springs so I can do them all at the same time. I just want a minor drop so I think I'm going with the ford racing b springs. Not sure about control arms yet
I like the UMI Lift Bars.
With them you can completely remove the quad shocks and not worry about it wheel hopping, plus IMO they plant the rear tires better than other aftermarket LCA's.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT