new saleen wing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
So I just ordered a Saleen wing for my car the question is should I match it green with the rest of the car or do u think it would look good painted black? Also about how much should I expect to pay for it to get painted?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120215_011744.png
Views:	363
Size:	575.7 KB
ID:	40731  
jedpony is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 12:22 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I would say green since the tops brown you'd have three colors on the exterior might be too much but if you want it black and think it would look cool go for it!
Timm04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: new saleen wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedpony View Post
So I just ordered a Saleen wing for my car the question is should I match it green with the rest of the car or do u think it would look good painted black? Also about how much should I expect to pay for it to get painted?
Green would look best, but black wouldn't look bad either.

Something that small, you could paint yourself with some Dupli-Color spray paint and clear coat or some semi-gloss black.
I have used the semi-gloss black and it lasted for 5 years or longer when I had the car and still looked good when I sold it.

Probably run you $200-$300 to have it painted and less than $50 to do it yourself.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2012, 11:06 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I might paint it myself. Could you give some more details on how you did it? And what paint u used with the steps?
Old 02-15-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I might paint it myself. Could you give some more details on how you did it? And what paint u used with the steps?
1. Inspect the surface for any irregularities.

2. Very carefully without touching it with your bare hands or fingers (use latex gloves) wipe the whole surface down with Dupli-Color Grease & Wax Remover. This will remove any oils or grease from the surface so you do not work it into the finish.

3. Filled small pinholes/dips with a "finish coat filler" body putty.

4. When the filled areas were dry, I sanded them smooth with some 320 Grit wet/dry sandpaper and water. Note: Some irregularities make take 2 or more coats of filler.

5. Using 600 grit sandpaper and a bucket of water with 3-4 drops of dish liquid in it, I sanded the entire surface to a dull uniform finish.

6. Once the surface had dried, very carefully without touching it with your bare hands or fingers (use latex gloves) wipe the whole surface down again with Dupli-Color Grease & Wax Remover.

7. Allow it to dry and then spray the surfaces to be painted with Dupli-Color Adhesion Promoter to enhance topcoat adhesion.

8. Once that had dried, I sprayed on 3 coats of the Dupli-Color Premium Enamel in Semi-Gloss Black, allowing the specified time for drying between each coat. You could substitute the Dupli-Color Perfect Match paint in place of the Semi-Gloss Black, in the color of your choice. If you go with the vehicle color I would recommend that you follow it up with 2-3 coats of clear for UV protection. Just make sure you don't mix lacquer and enamel paints as they are not compatible and lifting or wrinkling will occur.

9. When spraying on the paint hold the can 10"-12" from the surface and spray in even overlapping strokes for the best coverage and finished results. Or, when all else fails "Read the Directions on the can First!"

I don't think I left anything out or got anything wrong, but always follow the product recommendations whenever they differ from what I have here.

Dupli-Color Paint Products
Old 02-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Trojan horse! That write up was very helpful. Im thinking I'm going to do it myself know.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:51 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks Trojan horse! That write up was very helpful. Im thinking I'm going to do it myself know.
You can do it!

Put a few extra coats of clear on there if you go with body color and then you can wet sand it with some ultra fine sandpaper and then polish it to a mirror shine if you wish.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT