302 or 351? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-15-2012, 05:21 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 164
302 or 351?

Know some where this has been Talked about.... But I can't find it...
I'm about to start an engine build an I'm thinking of a 351 block. It's a 95 Convertible... Just want some general input. My main concern is that a 5.0 is safe up to about 400 hp... :/ My intentions is 475/500 at the rear.... All motor no forced induction, an no nos!
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-15-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 302 or 351?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
Know some where this has been Talked about.... But I can't find it...
I'm about to start an engine build an I'm thinking of a 351 block. It's a 95 Convertible... Just want some general input. My main concern is that a 5.0 is safe up to about 400 hp... :/ My intentions is 475/500 at the rear.... All motor no forced induction, an no nos!
351W is the best way to go.

Article - Building a 600 HP Street Mustang
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Taxman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 164
That's what I needed thanks man
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 02-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 302 or 351?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
That's what I needed thanks man
No problem.

I'm probably going to do a stroker 351W (408-427 CI) myself.
I wanted a Boss 302 block, but money being as tight as it is a 351W is going to be cheaper.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 01:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Lh3211986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: Rhode Island
Posts: 23
What car/truck comes with a 351W?
Lh3211986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 302 or 351?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lh3211986 View Post
What car/truck comes with a 351W?
Lots of pickups, large vans and large cars came with the 351W.
As to the exact models and years I don't know, but you could probably Google search and find out.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Lapida's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Other
Posts: 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Lots of pickups, large vans and large cars came with the 351W.
As to the exact models and years I don't know, but you could probably Google search and find out.
The gt40 aluminum heads are compatible with the 351W?
Lapida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:42 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 302 or 351?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapida View Post
The gt40 aluminum heads are compatible with the 351W?
As long as they are drilled for 1/2" head bolts they are.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:47 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Newline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Region: New Jersey
Posts: 156
If possible go with a later model block( 94 and up) they are roller blocks from the factory
Newline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:01 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 302 or 351?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newline View Post
If possible go with a later model block( 94 and up) they are roller blocks from the factory
Sure, they will work just fine.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 08:32 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Mean green 91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: nottingham PA.
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 87
If u are going to want a roller try to grab a ford lightning 1993 thru 1995 they cam flat tappit but have the holes that you need to go with a roller cam.
Mean green 91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #12
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
My buddy's 94 Broncos cam with a roller cam 351 . I think
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:59 PM   #13
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 699
Hmmm... I agree with the point of a 351w to use in ur applacation however i dont agree on the yr of block to use at least not till i know how much u are planing on spending. was that 500-550rwhp or fly wheel hp ur looking to make reliably?
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:01 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 302 or 351?

In the stock 351W blocks the earlier 69-74 model blocks are considered the strongest with the casting # C9OE-6015-B blocks having enough metal on bearing saddles 2,3 and 4 for the installation of four bolt mains if it was desired.


However, finding one of these blocks nowadays is going to be all but impossible and if you do and the owner knows what he has, buying the block and paying for machine work is going to be expensive. You'd almost be better off buying the $1900 Boss 351W block new from Ford.


The late model 351W can be upgraded to handle 600-800 HP easy enough with the addition of a main support system and a valley girdle to strengthen the block.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 12:16 AM   #15
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
In the stock 351W blocks the earlier 69-74 model blocks are considered the strongest with the casting # C9OE-6015-B blocks having enough metal on bearing saddles 2,3 and 4 for the installation of four bolt mains if it was desired.

However, finding one of these blocks nowadays is going to be all but impossible and if you do and the owner knows what he has, buying the block and paying for machine work is going to be expensive. You'd almost be better off buying the $1900 Boss 351W block new from Ford.

The late model 351W can be upgraded to handle 600-800 HP easy enough with the addition of a main support system and a valley girdle to strengthen the block.
Gesh! Thanks for ruining my fun TH i was getting there just wanted a bit more info b4 i made a sugestion.

I agree even for 500+ hp for peace of mind and being set for further modifacation in the future if running a late model block run the supports u can get but buy the time uve paid for all that mechining and parts and work its prolly more worth it to buy the boss block or a dart splined 4 bolt main iron 351w block for 15-25hundred theres a real nice fuel injected 8pack looking intake for them to that just looks ba. Most 427 w fuel injected engines ive seen put out between 550 and 585 crank hp so to get to 550 rwhp ull want to tweek a few things like an agressive cam maybe trick flow heads high comp pistons high octain gas maybe a few more things but ya just start with a good block then u aint got to worry at all and u can really go any direction as u choose to.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:27 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 302 or 351?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Gesh! Thanks for ruining my fun TH i was getting there just wanted a bit more info b4 i made a sugestion.

I agree even for 500+ hp for peace of mind and being set for further modifacation in the future if running a late model block run the supports u can get but buy the time uve paid for all that mechining and parts and work its prolly more worth it to buy the boss block or a dart splined 4 bolt main iron 351w block for 15-25hundred theres a real nice fuel injected 8pack looking intake for them to that just looks ba. Most 427 w fuel injected engines ive seen put out between 550 and 585 crank hp so to get to 550 rwhp ull want to tweek a few things like an agressive cam maybe trick flow heads high comp pistons high octain gas maybe a few more things but ya just start with a good block then u aint got to worry at all and u can really go any direction as u choose to.
Sorry, That was not my intention.
Got a link to that fuel injected 8 pack? I'd like to see it.


The base 351W is considerably stronger than the base 5.0 and I have read numerous times from various sources that they will handle around 600 HP with just good forged internals and a good tune.


Adding the Main Support System from DSS will strengthen them past that estimated limit.
It ties the bottom of the block/main caps together and being made from aluminum it also serves to dampen harmful harmonics. It is a bolt on system that requires little to no machine work. The only machine work that may be required is clearancing for some stroker combinations. The main support runs $330 & the windage tray is $120 for a total of $450


Adding the Valley Girdle Pro will take the block a bit further by strengthening the top of the block. It does require a bit of machining, but nothing more than some drilling, tapping or light grinding at most. The valley girdle runs $250.


Those parts add $700 total to your engine block cost, IF you buy them new. I got lucky and managed to get the Main Support and Windage tray new and unused for $200 from people who bought them, but never used them. Patience and LOTS of looking paid off for me this time and it could for you too. So far I have not had the same luck with the Valley Girdle, but I have not given up yet.


Note: I was not overly impressed with the machining on the DSS Windage Tray. They left a lot of machining flash on it that will have to be cleaned off before I can use it. When I tried to talk with them about it, they would not answer my emails. Certainly not the way to treat a possible return customer eh?


As you can see if you have to pay, say $300 for a used block, then $700 to buy the girdles and windage tray, you are already at $1000, by the time you add any machining needed for the block you are probably getting fairly close to the $1600 Boss 302 or $1900 Boss 351W block. However, in my case and I'm sure in a lot of others too, it is much easier to come up with the money a little bit at a time than all at once. I tried saving long enough to get to all the funds together for a Boss block, but something would always come up and the money would get spent on something else. So necessity is the mother of purchase quantity and timing in my case.


All things being equal, you never "really" know how much a stock block will hold until you have exceeded its limit. All we can do is make our best estimate based on what's been achieved with them already and the information we are given by aftermarket providers.


"You spends you money and you takes you chances."
That's how I've heard it put more than once for many different parts over the years.
And you know what? There's a lot of truth to that.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 01:59 AM   #17
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 699
Hears a pic of one budjet fuel injected 427w u can buy with that intake on it the numbers in the pic plus a pic of there web site feel free.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2323704762.png
Views:	160
Size:	1,007.8 KB
ID:	40947   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1574282007.png
Views:	143
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	40948  

Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 05:16 PM   #18
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 302 or 351?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Hears a pic of one budjet fuel injected 427w u can buy with that intake on it the numbers in the pic plus a pic of there web site feel free.
Nice, I love how it looks.


At $5199.95 though, I bet they don't sell to many of those.


AND, after running across this video - - you better check it over carefully before you install it if you can afford one.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:32 AM   #19
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Nice, I love how it looks.

At $5199.95 though, I bet they don't sell to many of those.

AND, after running across this video - - you better check it over carefully before you install it if you can afford one.
Canadian rape u in the a$$ pricing lol! Id go down south get my family to pick the same block up for half that.

I never looked into it i only like the styling of it but the 427 im building im going anouther direction with (forced induction) so not my applacation i was only stating there are intakes like that honestlly think there other companies making them slightlly diffrent but same thing as well just got to dig a bit so i thought id throw it out there.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

i woulda sent it back that plate gasket and no brake port f**k that not to mencion they forgot to send him some stuff must have had a serious noob working on the intake that dude got not to by mean or nothin but it aint no AM company thats for sure (based on that vid that is)
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:03 AM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 302 or 351?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
Canadian rape u in the a$$ pricing lol! Id go down south get my family to pick the same block up for half that.

I never looked into it i only like the styling of it but the 427 im building im going anouther direction with (forced induction) so not my applacation i was only stating there are intakes like that honestlly think there other companies making them slightlly diffrent but same thing as well just got to dig a bit so i thought id throw it out there.

---------- Post added at 10:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:13 PM ----------

i woulda sent it back that plate gasket and no brake port f**k that not to mencion they forgot to send him some stuff must have had a serious noob working on the intake that dude got not to by mean or nothin but it aint no AM company thats for sure (based on that vid that is)
That price is just for the Inglese Intake system from their website, not the engine.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 01:11 AM   #21
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

That price is just for the Inglese Intake system from their website, not the engine.
I like how it looks but theres not a hope in hell id pay that for that 50$ part i mean seriouslly the "quality" is missing in that craftsminship to make it worth even 250$ so no. good by 8 stack for that price u can go outa buisness and fade away like the boat ancore bb's of yester year only they were a lot cooler for 5gs.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:02 AM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: 302 or 351?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk View Post
I like how it looks but theres not a hope in hell id pay that for that 50$ part i mean seriouslly the "quality" is missing in that craftsminship to make it worth even 250$ so no. good by 8 stack for that price u can go outa buisness and fade away like the boat ancore bb's of yester year only they were a lot cooler for 5gs.
It looks way cool, but not for that quality & price.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM   #23
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Region: Alabama
Posts: 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

It looks way cool, but not for that quality & price.
No kidding
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
X or H with Magnapacks shsfresh87 1996-2004 Mustang GT 34 02-23-2012 10:43 AM
Cobra or gt Ware12 General Mustang Discussion 17 02-15-2012 06:24 PM
Sell or keep Silversky545 2005-2010 Mustang GT 3 02-14-2012 12:35 PM
Does a 98 have a single over___ valve or double ____ valve? SwatKatz901 1996-2004 Mustang GT 14 02-13-2012 08:03 AM
Anybody know someone sellin a 351 windsor?....or if your selling one? Crackboi Classic Mustangs 3 02-11-2012 12:42 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



08:20 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.