Turn signals - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Turn signals

Ok just getting ideas of what to check. Get in my car this morning and turn signals decide they don't wanna work. Emergency flashers do. It's been raining here pretty hard for about 3 or four days and I have a leaking sunroof. Didn't realize how bad till the bad rain. Slight rain it's hardly dosnt leak but with the rain the last few days been leaking pretty bad. No water hits dash or steering just on seats but is very humid in side car. Could this cause a fuse to blow. Blinkers were working before rain. I guess I'm just hoping it's not the switch it self on column Any ideas I get car back from alinement shop tomorrow and was hoping to get it inspected but can't do that without working turn signals
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Turn signals

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78 View Post
Ok just getting ideas of what to check. Get in my car this morning and turn signals decide they don't wanna work. Emergency flashers do. It's been raining here pretty hard for about 3 or four days and I have a leaking sunroof. Didn't realize how bad till the bad rain. Slight rain it's hardly dosnt leak but with the rain the last few days been leaking pretty bad. No water hits dash or steering just on seats but is very humid in side car. Could this cause a fuse to blow. Blinkers were working before rain. I guess I'm just hoping it's not the switch it self on column Any ideas I get car back from alinement shop tomorrow and was hoping to get it inspected but can't do that without working turn signals
Have you checked the fuses?
Do the lights on all four corners, light up at all when you turn on the turn signals?

P.S. I can't remember the exact name of it, but I found some removable clear caulking at a lumberyard and used it to temporarily seal up a leaking T-Top on one of my old vehicles.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 11:37 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Idk bout the headlights I know taillights work because I just got in and drove it to shop and when I went to turn hit switch and nothing. Dropped off at shop was gonna check it today when it was done but because of mardi GRAS they closed early and didn't finish so I will have to check tomorrow. No I didn't check anything yet was In a rush when dropped it off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2012, 11:42 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Idk bout the headlights I know taillights work because I just got in and drove it to shop and when I went to turn hit switch and nothing. Dropped off at shop was gonna check it today when it was done but because of mardi GRAS they closed early and didn't finish so I will have to check tomorrow. No I didn't check anything yet was In a rush when dropped it off.
If the lights light up but don't blink, it's usually the turn signal flasher.
If they don't light up it's usually either the switch, blown bulbs or fuses.
If none of those are it, then start checking for broken wires or inadequate ground connections.
Old 02-17-2012, 11:48 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

The lights don't come on at all with the switch but they come on and flash with emergency flashers so I know all the bulbs are working. I was figuring it was a fuse with all the mosture inside car. But won't know for sure till tomorrow so I'll let you know what I find tomorrow when I get the car back

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to break down and get new sunroof gaskets and all new weather stripping all around. Both doors hatch and sunroof.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:20 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
The lights don't come on at all with the switch but they come on and flash with emergency flashers so I know all the bulbs are working. I was figuring it was a fuse with all the mosture inside car. But won't know for sure till tomorrow so I'll let you know what I find tomorrow when I get the car back

---------- Post added at 11:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:47 PM ----------

I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to break down and get new sunroof gaskets and all new weather stripping all around. Both doors hatch and sunroof.
Yeah, it's pretty much gotta' be a fuse or the switch in that case.

I thought the caulk might serve to get you by for a while until the weather improved and you had the parts you needed to fix it.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Well all fuses are good so called and ordered a new switch grrr. But looked in my chiltons don't seem that hard to change
Old 02-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well all fuses are good so called and ordered a new switch grrr. But looked in my chiltons don't seem that hard to change
Been a while since I changed one, but I don't think they are too difficult.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

According to chiltons from what I can tell it's just drop the under dash cover which is only 4 fasteners and the the steering column wrap which is only 2 screws and then. The switch itself is only 2 screws and pull out and unplug then reverse. From what I can tell anyway lol
Old 02-18-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
According to chiltons from what I can tell it's just drop the under dash cover which is only 4 fasteners and the the steering column wrap which is only 2 screws and then. The switch itself is only 2 screws and pull out and unplug then reverse. From what I can tell anyway lol
That sounds correct and easy enough.
Don't forget to disconnect the battery so nothing accidently shorts out.
Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Lol again lol
Old 02-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well blinker switch just started working again
Old 02-19-2012, 11:21 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well blinker switch just started working again
Maybe your "blinker fluid" level is low and it sloshed around enough to activate it?

Contacts in the switch are probably burned or dirty and they are not always making good contact.
Old 02-19-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Yea I was thinking with how damp and wet everything was it was making good connection

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT