Newb needs v8 conv help - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-29-2007, 02:05 PM   #1
Newb needs v8 conv help

I just did a 4banger V8 swap. I put an 85 thunderbird 302 in it. It is a carbed setup. I converted it to a roller cam also. Its pretty much stock except for the carb and intake is edelbrock torker ii and thunder AVS electric choke 650 cfm carb. My buddy who did the swap is a gm mechanic, I had to put a gun to his head to do it for me, LOL. So he really is no help whenever I have a problem. We were told that since I am going carb that a v8 comp and wiring harness would not be necessary. well its all together and we went to fire it up and it seemed as though it was 180 out since it was puffing fireballs out the carb. so we turned it 180 and tried again, it was worse this time, it would not do anything. I am still using some of the wiring harnesses to have temp sensor, alt wires, oil pressure, starter, and distributor hook up. My question is, is that distributor and harness my problem? It is from a 91 roller EFI and has the TFI module from my 85 thundrbird distributor on it. DO i neeed to go with a distributor from an 85 or earlier carb set up w/ steel gear? If so it looks like it has a plug in on it too. how would I hook it up. Any feedback will be greatly appreciated since I have been at my wits end with this project and need my car back.

mustang slizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 02:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Virginia
Send a message via MSN to rydog
Re: Newb needs v8 conv help

check you firing order, I bought an cam for an HO motor and put it in and it was missfiring bad come to find out it was 351w firing order, just a suggestion

97 V6-GT40 turbo-42#rs-BA2800 MAF-4.10's & tlok-254rwhp-369rwtq
Turbo'd by-TMA Turbo(
Tuned by-Dyno Tuned Performance(
rydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
Legacy Member
Region: Georgia
Send a message via AIM to fast64

Yup, you need an older Non-TFI dizzy with a steel gear. Also, I believe rydog is correct in that the 91 HO dizzy is set up for a different firing order than your motor. Good luck and I will try to do some more research for you when I am not at work.
-Jimmy I drive a station wagon.
fast64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 01:57 PM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

isnt the non tfi vacuum advanced? if u run a computer dist. wit no computer how is it goin to advance?.....someone correct me, if i am understanding wrong.
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT