Turbo or supercharger? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-20-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Turbo or supercharger?

Hey guys i know this is a very asked question but i need to make up my mind. Its time to go into forced induction but idk wich way to go for my 88 Gt, any advice will be appreciated and also let me know what set ups you guys running and what psi your pulling thanks
zeltik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Well alot of people here are going on3 performance turbo, great price and from most all reviews everyone is happy with it. They make more power and are a little easyer on the motor. Im also probably going this rout come spring. I looked at most all SC first but they are just so much more money for less performance good luck!

Current- Stock long block 118k, MAC CAI, 75mm Pro M MAF, PP 70mm TB,BBK shorties,BBK O/R H, Magnaflow catback, KING cobra clutch, 3.73 Gears

Soon to be Vortech blown with a built 306 Numbers and times to follow!!!
cgarray17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Turbo or supercharger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeltik View Post
Hey guys i know this is a very asked question but i need to make up my mind. Its time to go into forced induction but idk wich way to go for my 88 Gt, any advice will be appreciated and also let me know what set ups you guys running and what psi your pulling thanks
What do you want to do with the car, what are your goals?
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Well right now its just my daily driver all my mods are just plug n play and bolt ons. But my main goal is to have a drivable street car but do good times at the drag strip low 11s or 10 be nice

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarray17
Well alot of people here are going on3 performance turbo, great price and from most all reviews everyone is happy with it. They make more power and are a little easyer on the motor. Im also probably going this rout come spring. I looked at most all SC first but they are just so much more money for less performance good luck!
Thanks man ill look it up sounds like a good option(:. Ive looked at a whole bunch of SC myself and gota say the kennybell ones would be awesome bt price & performance make me think twice lol
Old 02-20-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Turbo or supercharger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeltik View Post
Well right now its just my daily driver all my mods are just plug n play and bolt ons. But my main goal is to have a drivable street car but do good times at the drag strip low 11s or 10 be nice
For street driving the roots or twin screw style supercharger (Weiand, Kenne Bell...) will give you the most usable power in the RPM range you operate at the most.

For mid to upper RPM range power a centrifugal supercharger (Paxton, Vortech...) will serve your needs. They are also relatively easy to install compared to the other options.

A turbocharger system will also provide power in the mid to upper RPM range.
They will ultimately provide more power than the supercharges above, because their parasitic power loss is much lower. They are also easier on your engine because they do not side load your crankshaft and they do not introduce unwanted harmonics into your rotating assembly. However they are much more difficult and usually pricier to install. There are lower priced kits these days, but buyer beware.
Take the time to research them and read reviews on them before you purchase.

You should read the sticky thread on Superchargers & Turbos for advice on what will or should be considered for a forced induction build. There are also links in the thread to various forced induction manufacturers for you to view.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeltik

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Thanks man ill look it up sounds like a good option(:. Ive looked at a whole bunch of SC myself and gota say the kennybell ones would be awesome bt price & performance make me think twice lol
Ya i love the keeny bell also just on 5.0 they are just not worth the money, they need an intercooler. Now if i had a 03 cobra i would defently be going kenny bell lol

Current- Stock long block 118k, MAC CAI, 75mm Pro M MAF, PP 70mm TB,BBK shorties,BBK O/R H, Magnaflow catback, KING cobra clutch, 3.73 Gears

Soon to be Vortech blown with a built 306 Numbers and times to follow!!!
cgarray17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 09:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks alot man if i dont go turbo then a twin screw seems like what im looking for but ima keep looking i wont start that till summer so i have some time and kennebell expensive so ima save some cash o:

---------- Post added at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarray17

Ya i love the keeny bell also just on 5.0 they are just not worth the money, they need an intercooler. Now if i had a 03 cobra i would defently be going kenny bell lol
Yeah and they look sick too but on price I
would prolly go with another brand. kenne bell charge you for the name lol D:

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT