what is a good camshaft for a 302 engine? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
what is a good camshaft for a 302 engine?

And what other mods have to be done so i can fit it in and for it to idle right?
zeltik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 05:46 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
TrickFlow stage 1 cam, comp cams, if your trans is auto you'll need a 2500-2800stall torque converter
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Alright man ill look it up, thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 01:40 PM   #4

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeltik
And what other mods have to be done so i can fit it in and for it to idle right?
A cam itself won't make much of a difference unless put in some good flowing heads and intake to go with it
89notchkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89notchkid

A cam itself won't make much of a difference unless put in some good flowing heads and intake to go with it
Yes i knw, well my heads are good i jst need to change my intake. The thing is my friend has a stock foxbody exept an E cam on it and his sounds way different than mine he said i had a very weak cam on mine
Old 02-21-2012, 04:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeltik

Yes i knw, well my heads are good i jst need to change my intake. The thing is my friend has a stock foxbody exept an E cam on it and his sounds way different than mine he said i had a very weak cam on mine
If sound is all your looking for install an e or b 303 cam install an off road mid pipe with and slp catback lol and if idling is a problem just make sure all vacuum lines are hooked up iac is cleaned up as well as mass airflow sensor
Old 02-21-2012, 04:44 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If sound is all your looking for install an e or b 303 cam install an off road mid pipe with and slp catback lol ´┐de1c and if idling is a problem just make sure all vacuum lines are hooked up iac is cleaned up as well as mass airflow sensor
Sound is a plus lol but if my stock cam is that weak it bothers me i have that need to change it for a good one. i do have an o/r mid x pipe and long headers it sounds nice but not how id like it to you knw :p

---------- Post added at 04:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:37 PM ----------

Sound is a plus lol. I already have an o/r X mid pipe and long headers it sounds nice but not how id like it to you knw, if i really do have a weak cam id like to change it as soon as posible for a performance one
Old 02-21-2012, 04:49 PM   #8

Since sound is basically what your looking for just make sure you have plenty of air goin inside your engine bigger throttle body spacer and intake manifold is a really big plus to changing how a car sounds
Old 02-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Since sound is basically what your looking for just make sure you have plenty of air goin inside your engine bigger throttle body spacer and intake manifold is a really big plus to changing how a car sounds
Yea i do need to make some changes there thanks for the tip id be looking for a better manifold and mass air thats what i prolly need done first. But sound isnt that of a big deal it jst bothers me that his stock car changed alot in sound by jst a simple E cam when ive added performance exhaust and headers.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
A b or f cam will Lope more than the e.I would think about what u want to do to your car in the future before choosing a cam.if your not sure yet the e is a good all around cam.you can also call a cam expert or use www.camquest.com.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
A b or f cam will Lope more than the e.I would think about what u want to do to your car in the future before choosing a cam.if your not sure yet the e is a good all around cam.you can also call a cam expert or use www.camquest.com.
Thanks man that helps ill give it a try. I heard F cams are really good but idk what other mods i need to have in order to get a good use of it
Old 02-21-2012, 05:25 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
If you go with F cam I dont think you can use 1.7 rrs with stock pistons!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteCobra94
If you go with F cam I dont think you can use 1.7 rrs with stock pistons!
U are probably right.u will need 1.6
Old 02-21-2012, 05:36 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

U are probably right.u will need 1.6
Dam well i guess ill just do those mods before i think about a change in cam. I still need to upgrade my intake manifold and mass air then ill go to 1.6 RR. And then the pistons?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #15
Road Trip!

Why are you thinking of changing pistons? There is not really a need to change them unless u plan on making serious power or forced induction or rebuilding the whole motor.

First off we need to know what's done and what u want the end result to be.if not much is done see the sticky thread in the begining.

Mustang Modifications - In the Beginning...

Then what I would do is plan the whole entire build before u purchase parts.otherwise u may buy parts that don't work with others Nd be wasting time and money.I would start with that.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why are you thinking of changing pistons? There is not really a need to change them unless u plan on making serious power or forced induction or rebuilding the whole motor.

First off we need to know what's done and what u want the end result to be.if not much is done see the sticky thread in the begining.

Mustang Modifications - In the Beginning...

Then what I would do is plan the whole entire build before u purchase parts.otherwise u may buy parts that don't work with others Nd be wasting time and money.I would start with that.
Yes i knw but im gona go the turbo route probably the on 3 performance single turbo kit, as of now i honestly dont know what type of heads im running but im told they are not stock i got long tube headers with mid X pypes and cats, 4.10 gears 8.8 diff. Short shifter, msd6a box and a nos kit but was removed. im prolly forgetting something else, since i recently bought the car its pretty much stock.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #17
Road Trip!

that good.i would definatly go forged pistons then.also crank and rods.if you are going forced induction the f cam is a good choice.but there are other factors to, so the software and/or talking to an expert would still be a good idea for cam choice.but the heads will play a big role in all these choices so i would see if u can find some numbers or casting marks on them so we can find out what u have.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
that good.i would definatly go forged pistons then.also crank and rods.if you are going forced induction the f cam is a good choice.but there are other factors to, so the software and/or talking to an expert would still be a good idea for cam choice.but the heads will play a big role in all these choices so i would see if u can find some numbers or casting marks on them so we can find out what u have.
Thanks man then i will definitely get those mods aswell and ill find out what heads i have as soon as i can but ima look for some Gt40 ones if they turn out to be stock ive seen some rebuilt in Craigslist or what do you think some good heads i should be looking into?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:19 PM   #19
Road Trip!

your best bet would be to find some top brand aluminum heads like :edelbrock,afr,trickflow, etc. but gt40s are a good head for the price.they obviously wont flow as good as the others i mentioned but are good for a budget minded build.you can pick up the gt40s off 94-95 cobras and 96-2001 explorers. there are some differences in some of the later model explorers but nothing major.they can be picked up pretty cheap at a salvage yard,just let us know what u find and we will get you the info you need.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
your best bet would be to find some top brand aluminum heads like :edelbrock,afr,trickflow, etc. but gt40s are a good head for the price.they obviously wont flow as good as the others i mentioned but are good for a budget minded build.you can pick up the gt40s off 94-95 cobras and 96-2001 explorers. there are some differences in some of the later model explorers but nothing major.they can be picked up pretty cheap at a salvage yard,just let us know what u find and we will get you the info you need.
Oh alright then i have alot of planing to do and then ima save some more cash to buy a better flowing set of heads ill try and get some trickflow ones, thanks for all your help im on the right track now and ill keep posted for the first mods ima do.(:
Old 02-21-2012, 07:40 PM   #21
Road Trip!

the trickflow heads can be picked up at american muscle for 1200. after you get 50 posts you can use your 6% forum discount at there discretion.just look at the sticky thread under support our sponsors for more info. btw i just installed those heads the other day.i havent got to drive it yet but i can already tell its gonna be a whole new animal.you can check out my build thread.it is called what it takes.there is alot of pages that you probably dont need to read because i originally planned for a s/c but the last 5-10 pages are my current setup.but feel free to read whatever you like.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
the trickflow heads can be picked up at american muscle for 1200. after you get 50 posts you can use your 6% forum discount at there discretion.just look at the sticky thread under support our sponsors for more info. btw i just installed those heads the other day.i havent got to drive it yet but i can already tell its gonna be a whole new animal.you can check out my build thread.it is called what it takes.there is alot of pages that you probably dont need to read because i originally planned for a s/c but the last 5-10 pages are my current setup.but feel free to read whatever you like.
Their abit pricey but for what i hear ther well worth the price, Dam bro you knw what you have id like to see that beast on action after your done with it. do you upload videos on youtube?.. and thanks alot man ill check it out thers prolly alot i can use from that.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:32 PM   #23
Road Trip!

l havent made a new video yet because my header are leaking.i just got it running yesterday but i have a few things to button i do have a before exhaust video with my b303 cam and 40 series flow masters.i have 10 series waiting to be installed.i will probably ot install them until i drive my new setup a bit so i can get a good comparison.

yes i upload to youtube.here is the before video. the sound quality is very poor and does not do it justice.

ps: late model restoration has a forum discount to
Old 02-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
l havent made a new video yet because my header are leaking.i just got it running yesterday but i have a few things to button i do have a before exhaust video with my b303 cam and 40 series flow masters.i have 10 series waiting to be installed.i will probably ot install them until i drive my new setup a bit so i can get a good comparison.

yes i upload to youtube.here is the before video. the sound quality is very poor and does not do it justice.

ps: late model restora tion has a forum discount to
Alright ill check it out sounds like a nice set up man. thanks for the info i hope you get it together soon and hope the fix goes well i dnt think the leak will give you much trouble
Old 02-21-2012, 09:01 PM   #25
Road Trip!

It won't be bad.when I took the old heads off.I never loosened the header collector.I was trying to take a short cut.so when I bolted them back up I got in a hurry and fought it a little bit.so all I need to do is loosen everything up including the collector and re torque.thanx though
Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It won't be bad.when I took the old heads off.I never loosened the header collector.I was trying to take a short cut.so when I bolted them back up I got in a hurry and fought it a little bit.so all I need to do is loosen everything up including the collector and re torque.thanx though
Yea well good plan man take care of that beast it seems your almost done, whats your nxt step after building your engine?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:07 PM   #27
Road Trip!

ive already done: interior,top,gears,paint,cooling,floor pan,pretty much everything.
i do have umi rear lower control arms , 10 series flowmasters, some more gauges,head lights,tail lights, amd new speedo cable with 3.73 correction gear.i already have all this stuff, just need to install.
besides that all i need to buy is a trim piece, and vent cowl, and i have a crack in my windshield.
i do have some good before and afters in my garage if you are curious and my mod list.it is way to much to list!
before i get into anything i always research everthing,price check different places,make detailed list,talk to ME guys and friends to help keep me in check.ive been on here a little less than a year and i wonder how i ever made it the first couple.
i paid 500$ for my beast.just goes to show how far alot of time money and elbow grease can get you
Old 02-21-2012, 10:18 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
ive already done: interior,top,gears,paint,cooling,floor pan,pretty much everything.
i do have umi rear lower control arms , 10 series flowmasters, some more gauges,head lights,tail lights, amd new speedo cable with 3.73 correction gear.i already have all this stuff, just need to install.
besides that all i need to buy is a trim piece, and vent cowl, and i have a crack in my windshield.
i do have some good before and afters in my garage if you are curious and my mod list.it is way to much to list!
before i get into anything i always research everthing,price check different places,make j
detailed list,talk to ME guys and friends to help keep me in check.ive been on here a little less than a year and i wonder how i ever made it the first couple.
Tsss thats alot of work man i wished i was at least half way done with mine but then again its all part of being a stang enthusiast lol im new to this and my mechanical skills are still not that great but this was of much help
Old 02-21-2012, 10:21 PM   #29
Road Trip!

I've been at it almost 3 1/2 years. And ill tell u I've learned a lot myself from this forum.good luck!

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Ps. What I listed isn't even a fraction of what I have done.lol
Old 02-21-2012, 11:11 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've been at it almost 3 1/2 years. And ill tell u I've learned a lot myself from this forum.good luck!

---------- Post added at 10:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:20 PM ----------

Ps. What I listed isn't even a fraction of what I have done.lol
Oh i believe you man & the best mods arnt cheap at all we all want the best of the best for our rides, ima have to work my *** off lol, i see i jst berly joined and ive gotten alot of info and help. Thanks man you too .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT