coolant system update. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
coolant system update.

Got my taxes, so debating on how to use it. Prob gonna save some for debts been trying to take care of but keep feeding this car. So...keep in mind I'm not the most mechanically Inclined. I've been taking it to shop but id like to learn some things and have the pride of doing some of the resto myself. If I were to get a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, and hoses how difficult of a job is this? I am leaking a decent amount of coolant now. I think its coming from my wp gasket, one of first things was told by shop was radiator not leaking but would need new one sometime, then my car barely ever gets to n on normal so I'm guessing thermostat might be bad. Prob get pressure test for sure to see what's leaking.
90fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 01:42 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Not to difficult of a job.I'm sure u could handle it.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 02:30 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Just did all this on mine was not bad at all! Took some time because auto parts store gave me the wrong remonstrate do I had to go that twice but was fairly easy let me know if you need any help
87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-21-2012, 05:43 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: coolant system update.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90fox View Post
Got my taxes, so debating on how to use it. Prob gonna save some for debts been trying to take care of but keep feeding this car. So...keep in mind I'm not the most mechanically Inclined. I've been taking it to shop but id like to learn some things and have the pride of doing some of the resto myself. If I were to get a new radiator, water pump, thermostat, and hoses how difficult of a job is this? I am leaking a decent amount of coolant now. I think its coming from my wp gasket, one of first things was told by shop was radiator not leaking but would need new one sometime, then my car barely ever gets to n on normal so I'm guessing thermostat might be bad. Prob get pressure test for sure to see what's leaking.
It's not very difficult.
Use part of that money to buy you a Chilton's or Haynes manual and you can look up a lot of normal replacement procedures to see how hard they might be.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012, 05:54 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Went to shop to ask about pressure test, he openened hood and agreed coming from wp gasket. Then told him of thermostat temp and didn't agree or disagree lol. Dropping off tomorrow to be worked on thurs. Water pump,thermostat, labor 300 bucks. So basically little over 2hrs labor. I prob would have paid someone 100 or so to help anyway. At least this way it will be a pro and warrantied. I'm more inclined to mess with cosmetics. If I mess that up just looks bad doesn't affect driveability

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

I have a haynes. Doesn't look to difficult that's why I was thinking if trying. Mechanic talked me into them doing it. It will be under warranty. He's gone above and beyond a few times. Sold me 4 tires almost new and rims for 150 a bit ago. Fixed a nail I got later free. Says he has a cowl hood he'd sell for 200. Have to look at though make sure not to high. I'm on fence of liking cowl hoods.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Went to shop to ask about pressure test, he openened hood and agreed coming from wp gasket. Then told him of thermostat temp and didn't agree or disagree lol. Dropping off tomorrow to be worked on thurs. Water pump,thermostat, labor 300 bucks. So basically little over 2hrs labor. I prob would have paid someone 100 or so to help anyway. At least this way it will be a pro and warrantied. I'm more inclined to mess with cosmetics. If I mess that up just looks bad doesn't affect driveability

---------- Post added at 05:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

I have a haynes. Doesn't look to difficult that's why I was thinking if trying. Mechanic talked me into them doing it. It will be under warranty. He's gone above and beyond a few times. Sold me 4 tires almost new and rims for 150 a bit ago. Fixed a nail I got later free. Says he has a cowl hood he'd sell for 200. Have to look at though make sure not to high. I'm on fence of liking cowl hoods.
Of course a mechanic will talk you into letting them do it. That's how they make their money.
The parts will have a warranty whether he installs them or you do.
That's a ridiculous price to pay, but it's your choice and your money.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:05 PM   #7
Road Trip!

+1 . that is pretty high.it will only take a couple hours. and any begginer should be able to complete that job.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:59 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Heres my story prob lose a lot of you..Agreed. I prob should be able to do it w friends. I dont even have a jack, sure friend does and ill get around to buying one. Labor might be a little high, they charge 75 hr. but its leaking pretty bad and I drive a decent amount. 2 jobs and its my dd. I know I bit off more than can chew with this car cause I'm broke. Turned in a new car I had, bought an Infiniti dirt cheap from friend. Wasn't getting anywhere saving so sold and was commuting on bike. That got old a sweating to from and during work. Ntm fuel sav were going into belly for energy. Next step I got a motorcycle license abs got help to buy scooter. All was well then u drove bt dealer selling this car. I think it had 1800 in window. For hell of it, thinking they wouldn't go for it, askes for a trade for my scooter and 500 back to me. He agreed so I did my typical split sec decision and went for it. What I knew from get go...motor and trans seemed strong, fenders are kinda just hanging. Bolted along Hood that's it. Then after having lets see I've replaced..trans mount, fuel leak, also tank, fuel pump and filter, plugs, wires, distributor, alternator, rad cap for hell of it, ball joints, intake gasket set, and valve cover gaskets, tires/rims, I bought pedal pad covers, side mirror covers, door handle bezels, my radio wire is snipped, hole in trunk, when I can open it, whatever clown had before me sprayed primer grey over everything..trim, locks..so can't lock only can open trunk w key in ign and use button. Trim was masked but with masking tape uhhh. No worries there though whatever is left of it I'm taking off..bonding groove left to smooth prob small one in rear bumper too. After this next fix ill be about 3500 into I think. My initial thought when buying was for 5k to clean up. But wanted to be over time not so quick. Almost there ill need to replace brakes still and my oil pan has a dent right by front bolt but doesn't leak. That's one of reasons take to shop they can get it out and back in. I took somewhere else one time and wouldn't touch it. I don't think anyone does the way it looks lol. Eventually I'm going to paint it an extremely dark purple with the center of my hood black. Maybe calipers yellow...fantasy white leather and mark viii talights fabbed into rear.

---------- Post added at 06:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Sorry for grammar on phone and meant replaced distributor rotor and I think cap not actual distributor itself
Old 02-21-2012, 07:14 PM   #9
Road Trip!

were cool with that and no ones trying to question your decision.we just want to let you know that its doable.we are here to help.so whenever you do your own work just remember you got us to help.we are the diy knda guys so we just like encouraging others, thats all. good luck with your project amd feel free to ask us anything.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks will do. Prob do brakes and cai myself. Along with as much cosmetics as can maybe even try paint. I did do some of work on f100 owned. Took off trim bondoed holes, big rust in fenders smoothed and bondo, smoothed some other pits. Then payed maaco I think 400 for some finishing body work. Total 1200 for paint and all. Actually came out very well. I painted my bed, I interior walls and dash, window rails, put in cheap utility carpet, starter solenoid and cable, trans pan gasket, twice actually once w friend then leaking again and did self. Funny story on when broke down first time went to dream cruise in detroit, came home parked in front of parents and later wouldn't start. No worries had neon at time too. Came back to it and no fluid in radiator, filled and fired right up. Next time refering to Haynes replaced solenoid..nothing...gear lever..no can't be..go out take out of park put back in...fires right up. Sooo stupid lol.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:00 PM   #11
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90fox
Thanks will do. Prob do brakes and cai myself. Along with as much cosmetics as can maybe even try paint. I did do some of work on f100 owned. Took off trim bondoed holes, big rust in fenders smoothed and bondo, smoothed some other pits. Then payed maaco I think 400 for some finishing body work. Total 1200 for paint and all. Actually came out very well. I painted my bed, I interior walls and dash, window rails, put in cheap utility carpet, starter solenoid and cable, trans pan gasket, twice actually once w friend then leaking again and did self. Funny story on when broke down first time went to dream cruise in detroit, came home parked in front of parents and later wouldn't start. No worries had neon at time too. Came back to it and no fluid in radiator, filled and fired right up. Next time refering to Haynes replaced solenoid..nothing...gear lever..no can't be..go out take out of park put back in...fires right up. Sooo stupid lol.
Haha.the good thing is that won't happen again.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:17 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Ya that's probably why I'm so paranoid with the coolant system. However this car is manual, emergency brake doesn't work. However if I trip my lock button I'm screwed locks are sprayed over so can't lock.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM   #13
Road Trip!

If you go with electric fan I would recommend this adjustable fan controller.it is only about 40$ from summit racing. It comes with hd relay and a dial in controller so you can get your system to run at the exact temp you want.it is very easy to install.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120221_203541.png
Views:	117
Size:	358.2 KB
ID:	41410  
Old 02-21-2012, 11:13 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Sorry, I should have included a full explanation with my post, but I was pressed for time when I made it. Sometimes things I post may seem insensitive or blunt, but don't take them that way because I sure don't mean it that way. Text is not real great at conveying actual meanings and intentions.

What I was getting at and didn't say, was that with the money you expected to spend, you could buy the pump and several tools (i.e. the jack, wrenches etc.) and do it yourself in a couple of hours at most.
Then you would have at least the tools left over for other work on your car rather than just being out that amount.
Old 02-22-2012, 04:35 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Np. No offense taken and your right prob could fix and need jack n such. Ill get around to being more brave and fix things self. Its just dd and have 2 jobs so need. Didn't even think work both Thursday. I don't see why not but better be able to get done in time. If this fixes my occasional drivability issues ill be exstatic
Old 02-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
The Hayne's manual for these cars is pretty complete at helping even the weekend wrencher man. I'm no mechanic, and never claimed to be, but there is something very satisfying about putting blood sweat and tears into your ride. I understand your concern because your car is your daily. I have a truck to drive to work and school, so it's no big deal if mine's sitting a part for a few days while I do some head scratching and info gathering...lol But these guys seem VERY helpful. Dive in and have fun brother!!
91notchback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Fixed but maybe problem. Prob have look at again if is. T stat works great, don't seem to be leaking. But I picked up and drove straight to work about 30 miles, then when went to leave started and heard some clanking while idling. Popped hood and saw upper pulley flexing up and down. Drove home no noise other than belt squeel while driving. Popped hood again, pulley doesn't seem to move and belt seems taught. Is pully suppose to move, need to be tightened? If so does it need to be w torque wrench or reg? I don't have a torque wrench.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:20 PM   #18
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Fixed but maybe problem. Prob have look at again if is. T stat works great, don't seem to be leaking. But I picked up and drove straight to work about 30 miles, then when went to leave started and heard some clanking while idling. Popped hood and saw upper pulley flexing up and down. Drove home no noise other than belt squeel while driving. Popped hood again, pulley doesn't seem to move and belt seems taught. Is pully suppose to move, need to be tightened? If so does it need to be w torque wrench or reg? I don't have a torque wrench.
What upper pulley?
The one that your radiator fan is attached to?

The only pulley that might move any is the idler pulley on the belt tensioner.
If it is any other pulley, then you have issues and I wouldn't be driving it anywhere until it is fixed.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Ill have to start up in morning and see. Otherwise I was gonna bring back to shop in morn and see. Not attached to fan so..
Old 02-23-2012, 11:21 PM   #20
Road Trip!

The tension that Trojan says may move is attached to your alternator bracket.that one is spring loaded.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT