my mustang lost its mojo!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-24-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Filibuster

Region: Illinois
my mustang lost its mojo!!

Ok so on the way to work this morning my car just kind of lost power..but very sporadically.it would be like its only running on 2 cylinders then bamn it would br fine again?..now unfortunately my mustang is now my DD thorough rain or snow and have just remembered that I do not have my inner fender wells in!...maybe something could've gotten wet and caused a short?..and since I got it towed home it runs fine now?.. Here's a link to the problem and mind you even though it may be hard to hear(I was on the shoulder in traffic) in this vid I never stop bliping the throttle so you can see how it has nothing then BAMN it fine then nothing again..??..

XXSTEVEO66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66
Ok so on the way to work this morning my car just kind of lost power..but very sporadically.it would be like its only running on 2 cylinders then bamn it would br fine again?..now unfortunately my mustang is now my DD thorough rain or snow and have just remembered that I do not have my inner fender wells in!...maybe something could've gotten wet and caused a short?..and since I got it towed home it runs fine now?.. Here's a link to the problem and mind you even though it may be hard to hear(I was on the shoulder in traffic) in this vid I never stop bliping the throttle so you can see how it has nothing then BAMN it fine then nothing again..??..

It could be a short or something wrong with your alternator same thing happened to me and i had a major short. Does it only happen when your at idle? Or when stoping at an intersection ?
zeltik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeltik

It could be a short or something wrong with your alternator same thing happened to me and i had a major short. Does it only happen when your at idle? Or when stoping at an intersection ?
I agree somewhat.but if water was getting under the hood,it could have caused the short.
I would put the inner fender wells in and see if the problem persists.
I used to have a little beater dodge neon that would do this because the hood seal was bad.I kept a can of wd40 with me.the wd40 displaces moisture really good even though it is oil.whenever this happened I would shut the car off.spray the top of the motor and then wipe it down really good with a rag.then it would run great.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Oh yeah a friend of mine told me to do that, it does miracles. I had a little crack on my hood and on rainy days it would get bad.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: my mustang lost its mojo!!

Water is death to EFI electronics.

It can get into wiring connectors and components shorting them out and causing corrosion.
You need to get your inner fenderwells reinstalled and replace any engine bay seals that are missing.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:53 AM   #6
Filibuster

Thank you all for the responses..im really thinking it was just a water issue:/...I do have the inner fender wells so I will be installing them.and she has been running just fine now,but everything is dry so time will tell...just one of those things I hadn't planned on my stang being my DD but it is so ill have to change the setup a lil...
Ps..I was thinking it was the connections on the pass side fender around the cai for the short time I checked under the hood when it was runnin bad they were soaked!..but it was dark and I was on the shoulder of a very busy highway so I just sat it out..now its dry and running great so ill do a lil r&r then see how she does...
Thanks again guys..i love this site for times like this!!..
Old 02-25-2012, 03:16 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

if its running good now it was probably that, get those inner fenders installed hopefully it doesnt happen aqain! Good luck man
Old 02-25-2012, 08:15 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Thank you all for the responses..im really thinking it was just a water issue:/...I do have the inner fender wells so I will be installing them.and she has been running just fine now,but everything is dry so time will tell...just one of those things I hadn't planned on my stang being my DD but it is so ill have to change the setup a lil...
Ps..I was thinking it was the connections on the pass side fender around the cai for the short time I checked under the hood when it was runnin bad they were soaked!..but it was dark and I was on the shoulder of a very busy highway so I just sat it out..now its dry and running great so ill do a lil r&r then see how she does...
Thanks again guys..i love this site for times like this!!..
At some point you might want to pick up some of the electrical lubricant/sealer that Ford uses and check and re-lube & seal your electrical connections.
Old 02-26-2012, 02:16 AM   #9
Filibuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

At some point you might want to pick up some of the electrical lubricant/sealer that Ford uses and check and re-lube & seal your electrical connections.
Way ahead of ya buddy!...bought plenty of dielectric grease as I can only put the fender wells in..I have no other engine bay seals...
Old 02-26-2012, 04:52 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:

Trojan. You would know. I think it could possibly be a vacuum line.... What do you think? " Yoda"
1995boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Quote:

Way ahead of ya buddy!...bought plenty of dielectric grease as I can only put the fender wells in..I have no other engine bay seals...
When you apply the grease, be sure to get a nice coat in all those little crevices like behind the ears, arm pits and between the toes! Two coats for consistency.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995boss View Post
Trojan. You would know. I think it could possibly be a vacuum line.... What do you think? " Yoda"
Possibly if the issue was continous, but it clears up when it dries out, so more than likely it is electrical in nature.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:31 AM   #13
Filibuster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995boss

Nah...I'd know the difference..a vacuum line would've had a totally different effect on the idle..this was a sporadic total loss of power thing..plus 90% of them have already been replaced..

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone

When you apply the grease, be sure to get a nice coat in all those little crevices like behind the ears, arm pits and between the toes! Two coats for consistency.
The butt crease is my fav!..
Old 02-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XXSTEVEO66 View Post
Just be sure you wash your hands before you eat.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
Quote:

Nah...I'd know the difference..a vacuum line would've had a totally different effect on the idle..this was a sporadic total loss of power thing..plus 90% of them have already been replaced..

---------- Post added at 09:31 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

I figured you would know the difference. I had a vacuum problem before and a loss of power. Just hard to decipher the problem off of YouTube haha
1995boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:54 PM   #16
Filibuster

Quote:

Just be sure you wash your hands before you eat.
oh right...I knew there was somethin I was fogetting...lol

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995boss

I figured you would know the difference. I had a vacuum problem before and a loss of power. Just hard to decipher the problem off of YouTube haha
Yeah when I first hot the car it had a couple linrs that were im bad shape so i replaced a bunch of them..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT