TKO 600 or manual valve body? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-25-2012, 03:54 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
TKO 600 or manual valve body?

Jst wondering what would you guys go for?
zeltik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Re: TKO 600 or manual valve body?

Your talking about 2 totally different things here. A manual valve body only costs about 400-500 were as swapping transmissions is going to run you almost 3 grand if you do the work yourself more if you have it done at a shop. Even the cost of a full face rebuild on the auto would still be considerably cheaper than converting to a manual trans. However manuals are way funner to drive IMO, but that doesn't warrant spending so much cash.
Cobrarunnin9s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 04:45 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Oh i knw that the TKO is about $2,100 and thats not mentioning the install and the manual valve body about $600, im jst saying what would you guys prefer many pple say manual valve bodys the way to go and some even swap their manual trans. To turn their cars automatic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2012, 08:29 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

If you install a manual valve body you will also need to rebuild and strengthen up the auto trans. They are very weak from the factory and just able to withstand stock horsepower levels. Therefore, your expenditures may end up being very close for either option.

Me, I'd go with the TKO 500 or 600 manual transmission.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:49 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

For a Daily driver street demon what would you recommend?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:09 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Iowa
I personally just love the feeling of shifting my own gears. Definitely go with the tko600. That's what I'm saving up for as well.
89white GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:15 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like TKOs winning (:, how much HP can a stock T-5 tranny handle?
Old 02-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeltik View Post
Sounds like TKOs winning (:, how much HP can a stock T-5 tranny handle?
TKO for me too.
The stock T-5's can handle around 300 -325 ft lbs of torque.
It's the torque that matters more to transmission choice.
Old 02-27-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

When i go into forced induction (single turbo) how long untill i have to change transmission or should i change it before i do this?.
Old 02-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
When i go into forced induction (single turbo) how long untill i have to change transmission or should i change it before i do this?.
If you are using an AOD then you better do it PDQ or it will be toast.
The AOD transmissions are just barely adequate in stock form for the stock 5.0.
They won't withstand much HP or abuse.
Old 02-27-2012, 04:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kansas
I also thought about this before my build. Your prolly going to want to go like D&D and look at their transmissions. The tko600 can only handle 600 torque. I haven't looked around lately for any places that deal a manual tranny that can handle more. Anyone know of a website?
1995boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 04:37 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Well right now i jst have a stock T-5 transmission i do abuse it abit and have some minor mods nothing mayor and jst recently replaced my clutch kit, but then i guess i am going to have to change it for a good one before i get into forced induction, but thing is i want a TkO wich is like $2000 + install, when the turbokit i plan to buy from on3 performance is like $1600 + install. Is this worth it or if i go with this tranny should i go with something more powerful in forced induction?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:42 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeltik
Well right now i jst have a stock T-5 transmission i do abuse it abit and have some minor mods nothing mayor and jst recently replaced my clutch kit, but then i guess i am going to have to change it for a good one before i get into forced induction, but thing is i want a TkO wich is like $2000 + install, when the turbokit i plan to buy from on3 performance is like $1600 + install. Is this worth it or if i go with this tranny should i go with something more powerful in forced induction?
Almost any build will be hella expensive if you don't do the work yourself. With a turbo is understandable to have someone install, also figure in tuning prolly another $1000.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:29 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995boss View Post
I also thought about this before my build. Your prolly going to want to go like D&D and look at their transmissions. The tko600 can only handle 600 torque. I haven't looked around lately for any places that deal a manual tranny that can handle more. Anyone know of a website?
Well, 600 ft lbs is twice a normal transmission's capacity, which, would serve for "most" people's forced induction builds.
Most will not want to spend the money or effort required to go much beyond that level of performance.

However, for those that do you can check out the offerings by G-Force, Jericho and Lenco transmissions.
I'm sure one of them will have a transmission that will hold your horsepower excess.
Just expect to see some really expensive transmissions though.
Old 02-27-2012, 06:41 AM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
You should go read through the "Superchargers & Turbos" sticky thread.
Proper engine preparation is paramount to any forced induction build and should be undertaken before you "apply the pressure" so to speak.

Forced induction of any kind is not a "cheap" build by any means.
Sure you can buy cheap parts and inexpensive superchargers and turbochargers, but the likelihood of those and your engine lasting very long is pretty small if everything is not properly built and prepared.

Note: From what I have been able to deduce the On 3 turbocharger systems are of pretty decent quality. Not all of the cheaper systems are of decent quality and one issue I have read about frequently with the inexpensive turbos, is that the internal seals are of inferior quality and fail frequently.

Research and prepare thoroughly for your build, so you won't get left "holding the bag" ...of broken parts that is.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

You should go read through the "Superchargers & Turbos" sticky thread.
Proper engine preparation is paramount to any forced induction build and should be undertaken before you "apply the pressure" so to speak.

Forced induction of any kind is not a "cheap" build by any means.
Sure you can buy cheap parts and inexpensive superchargers and turbochargers, but the likelihood of those and your engine lasting very long is pretty small if everything is not properly built and prepared.

Note: From what I have been able to deduce the On 3 turbocharger systems are of pretty decent quality. Not all of the cheaper systems are of decent quality and one issue I have read about frequently with the inexpensive turbos, is that the internal seals are of inferior quality and fail frequently.

Research and prepare thoroughly for your build, so you won't get left "holding the bag" ...of broken parts that is.
Trojan you know you only live a state away so when I do my build you'll be driving here every other weekend haha
Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Then a Tko it is then (:
Old 02-27-2012, 04:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeltik
Then a Tko it is then (:
when do you plan on doing that swap?
Old 02-27-2012, 04:46 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Well not soon thats for sure im still building my engine and getting it ready. I also want to run nos, Maybe 5 or 6 months from now i hope (:. who knws maybe ill come across a nice 351 engine and do a swap for that first. Id love to stroke it to a 427 but well thats another story.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:30 PM   #20
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1995boss View Post
Trojan you know you only live a state away so when I do my build you'll be driving here every other weekend haha
Hopefully I'll be healed up and able to travel by then.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #21
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Well not soon thats for sure im still building my engine and getting it ready. I also want to run nos, Maybe 5 or 6 months from now i hope (:. who knws maybe ill come across a nice 351 engine and do a swap for that first. Id love to stroke it to a 427 but well thats another story.
A factory 351W block is much stronger than the factory 5.0 blocks.
They will hold around 600 HP and if you add the main and valley girdles up to 800 HP if properly prepared.
Old 02-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

If i do this swap will i have to go carburetor or EFI ? Or can i keep my fuel injection?
Old 02-27-2012, 07:53 PM   #23
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
If i do this swap will i have to go carburetor or EFI ? Or can i keep my fuel injection?
You have EFI/fuel injection now. EFI = Electronic Fuel Injection
You can use it on the 351W too, but it will require a lower manifold that fits the 351W.
Old 02-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Wich set up would be better for the 351w. Then?
Old 02-27-2012, 08:50 PM   #25
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
i saw on a youtube video this place http://www.pricemotorsport.com/. they make adapter kits to use 302 intakes on 351s.i found this when i was planning the s/c build that i didnt do.the benifit is the ability to use a wide range of 302 intakes that arent available for the 351.i watched an install vid of it and it looks nice.im not sure if it help hood clearance or not.but thought that i would share.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man ill check it out (:
Old 02-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #27
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Wich set up would be better for the 351w. Then?
I prefer the EFI fuel injection myself.
It just cannot be beat for driveability, self tuning and fuel economy.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #28
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
i saw on a youtube video this place Price Motorsport. they make adapter kits to use 302 intakes on 351s.i found this when i was planning the s/c build that i didnt do.the benifit is the ability to use a wide range of 302 intakes that arent available for the 351.i watched an install vid of it and it looks nice.im not sure if it help hood clearance or not.but thought that i would share.
That's an interesting website.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:10 PM   #29
Road Trip!

if you youtube : how to install b&m weiand supercharger there is a series of 5 videos of a guy using the kit to install the 174 on a 351. it looks pretty nice.but im sure it could come in handy for lots of purposes!
Old 02-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #30
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
if you youtube : how to install b&m weiand supercharger there is a series of 5 videos of a guy using the kit to install the 174 on a 351. it looks pretty nice.but im sure it could come in handy for lots of purposes!
Thanks for the search info. Found it easily.
Now if I go with the 351W, I can save the cost of a new lower for my Victor 5.0 EFI intake manifold.
Old 02-27-2012, 09:48 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Right?! Thanks alot man really useful infoo(:
Old 02-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #32
Road Trip!

No problem!
Old 02-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #33
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

i ran my stock aod with manual valve body..i think it was around 200 bucks at jeg's and i installed the valve body myself with a f150 torque converter.

i ran that trnny for like 2yrs plus with a 11lbs of boost which is over 400ftlbs of torque.
keep in mind, i dont run slicks.

i have a built 700hp rated aod with kevlar clutches and manual valve body. i have a t-5 now but i will prolly install my aod soon.

i read an article in 5.0 and there's a guy wit my same set-up making 419 at the wheels with original t-5 and clutch. maybe its how u drive.

seen another article, this guy runs 18lbs on stock 5liter and stock tranny and 3k stall converter.. he makes 374hp and well over 400ftlbs of torque. and this guys runs slicks. again.....i think its how u drive it.

i run a 7.5 rear end w/frpp trac-lok for past four years with a blower motor. its never broke. again....i think its how u drive it

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #34
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
i ran my stock aod with manual valve body..i think it was around 200 bucks at jeg's and i installed the valve body myself with a f150 torque converter.

i ran that trnny for like 2yrs plus with a 11lbs of boost which is over 400ftlbs of torque.
keep in mind, i dont run slicks.

i have a built 700hp rated aod with kevlar clutches and manual valve body. i have a t-5 now but i will prolly install my aod soon.

i read an article in 5.0 and there's a guy wit my same set-up making 419 at the wheels with original t-5 and clutch. maybe its how u drive.

seen another article, this guy runs 18lbs on stock 5liter and stock tranny and 3k stall converter.. he makes 374hp and well over 400ftlbs of torque. and this guys runs slicks. again.....i think its how u drive it.

i run a 7.5 rear end w/frpp trac-lok for past four years with a blower motor. its never broke. again....i think its how u drive it
Agreed.
A lot of making any components last is in how you drive or abuse your car.
And there are exceptions to every rule or experience.
Most people will not be able to duplicate your or examples of others success in utilizing stock, relatively weak components.
It is better to properly prepare from the beginning and not risk a possible life threatening failure at the most inopportune time.
A transmission or rearend failure while under full power can be catastrophic and dangerous to say the least.

Ultimately the choice is up to the individual.
You either properly prepare your car for the use intended or you don't and face the consequences of your actions when something fails.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:31 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

But then again you read it in an article, or may have heard your cousins friends friend that knws a guy that runs stock with well over 400lbs of torque. I mean not everybody can pull this off its rare to hear about a car running on weak stock components and taking all that pressure without "breaking". how you drive has Alot to do with the life of your car but really it is always better to be safe than sorry. Where not saying you cant do it, actually many pple do. But for how long? If you have over 400hp on the wheels you are not gona be driving like a grandma thats for sure, this cars are made to take abuse in a safe way of course :p

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT