Mustang Evolution Forum banner

questions about cams

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  wc3john 
#1 ·
Plain and simple.. 87 5.0L H.O stock heads, stock intake, can I go with a trick flow stage one cam without issues? Pros? Cons?

#4 ·
You could do other mods that would be more efficient. When you start messing with cams on a older fox that didn't have mass air it can be a little head ach. Gt40 heads are a decent upgrade. They flow better than the e7 heads that are on your car now. If money isn't a problem I would spend the extra change on some aluminum heads

#5 ·
Yea I was looking at either the edelbrock performer, or the fordracing Gt40 heads, but I'm acually pretty good with electrical and wiring in the cars and have no problem wiring up a new MAF circuit with a new pcm. but I'm not sure about the heads yet, its kind of a huge hit to the pocket, I have about 2500 to spend for the build set aside, but do you think spnding 1000$ on heads is the best upgrade combo along with a cam?

#7 ·
Upgrade to MAF first. Speed Density will not respond well to any modifications that increase the engine's air flow by very much.

Buying a HCI kit will serve you much better as all of the parts are designed by experts to work together.
The Trick Flow HCI kits can provide as much as 360 HP, depending upon the kit you choose.
Or the GT40X heads coupled with the GT40 intake and an E303 cam can net you around 300 HP.

#8 ·
2500 should be able to do a full hci upgrade with a little bargain shopping.you can pick up the gt40s off of 96-01 explorer and also use there intake.you can probably score both of those for under 500$.spend about 50$ at local machine shop to get them dipped/cleaned.then get a cam,throttle body,24 lb injectors and matching maf,and exhaust.
Then take your girl out to a nice dinner cause if you do it right u may still have some money left.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.