Turbo kits - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oregon
Turbo kits

Ok so I've looked over the threads and have not found any info on the question I have so here it is. Has anyone bought the hellion turbo kit for their fox body? If so please provide any info such as power increase, ease of installation, and possibly anything else to add to the laundry list.
86droptopgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 06:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86droptopgt
Ok so I've looked over the threads and have not found any info on the question I have so here it is. Has anyone bought the hellion turbo kit for their fox body? If so please provide any info such as power increase, ease of installation, and possibly anything else to add to the laundry list.
I know on3 performance sells a turbo kit for for like 1,300 has everything u need for 8 lbs of of boost a friend of myn made 400hp and 420trq with a pretty much stock motor
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I've seen that but I was really wanting the hellion kit. I've spoken to them and it's about 4500 for everything. That's a welbro fuel pump, maf conversion kit, 42 lbs injectors from ford racing, headers, cross pipe, 61mm turbonetics, bov, waste gate, air filter, and other necessities. There is an installer close to me as well. So, if it was to much I could drop it off. There is other things that I can not think of right now. How easy is the on3 performance kit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 08:08 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Turbo kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86droptopgt View Post
I have not bought one, but I have researched them in the past.
The Hellion kits are very well put together with good quality components.
They are a bit expensive, but they are ranked as one of the best and most complete kits available by numerous magazines and installers.

Read through the Superchargers & Turbos thread and make sure you have properly prepared your engine to withstand the extra stress and pressures that forced induction will put on your engine. I seriously suggest that you add the main stud and valley girdles to help strengthen your block.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I was only going to run 8-9lbs of boost. According to them that is ok for a stock motor. I was not going to put to much boost to it until I build it or drop a crate engine in. Any suggestions on exhaust?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:01 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I was only going to run 8-9lbs of boost. According to them that is ok for a stock motor. I was not going to put to much boost to it until I build it or drop a crate engine in. Any suggestions on exhaust?
I can only agree to disagree with their statement. They are the experts after all.
However, they are selling you something, I am not. See the difference?

The 5.0 stock block is a thinwall casting and as such it is subject to flexing and distortion from increased HP and TQ. Any small amount of detonation and block flex can quickly destroy the engine. The main and valley girdles help strengthen the block to guard against this flex and distortion.

I have seen it stated over and over that they are good for up to 500 HP, which IF they are kept properly tuned and not pounded on excessively, they are capable of holding up pretty well.
More 5.0 engines have been destroyed at power levels below that 500 HP number than above it.

There is a reason for that too.

People have read about the magic 500 HP safe level and believing that their engine producing less power was safe from destruction, they were not as diligent about keeping it properly tuned, not pounding on it excessively or strengthening their blocks to begin with.
That in turn led to the eventual destruction of their engines.

Ultimately the choice is yours, I only offer advice and information gathered from my years of experience and research into modifying these engines and making them live a reasonably long life while doing so.

With a boosted engine I would suggest a minimum exhaust/muffler size of 2.5" pipe.
Larger pipe and mufflers will be needed for higher boost and HP applications.

Good luck with your project.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

I can only agree to disagree with their statement. They are the experts after all.
However, they are selling you something, I am not. See the difference?

The 5.0 stock block is a thinwall casting and as such it is subject to flexing and distortion from increased HP and TQ. Any small amount of detonation and block flex can quickly destroy the engine. The main and valley girdles help strengthen the block to guard against this flex and distortion.

I have seen it stated over and over that they are good for up to 500 HP, which IF they are kept properly tuned and not pounded on excessively, they are capable of holding up pretty well.
More 5.0 engines have been destroyed at power levels below that 500 HP number than above it.

There is a reason for that too.

People have read about the magic 500 HP safe level and believing that their engine producing less power was safe from destruction, they were not as diligent about keeping it properly tuned, not pounding on it excessively or strengthening their blocks to begin with.
That in turn led to the eventual destruction of their engines.

Ultimately the choice is yours, I only offer advice and information gathered from my years of experience and research into modifying these engines and making them live a reasonably long life while doing so.

With a boosted engine I would suggest a minimum exhaust/muffler size of 2.5" pipe.
Larger pipe and mufflers will be needed for higher boost and HP applications.

Good luck with your project.
this good advise top to bottom!
I'll add that most everything I read says to step up to 3" pipe @ around 350hp, and being that your application will be turbo that will be my advise too. I have two friends w/ modded turbo cars, one a square body Supra and the other a impreza wagon. Both use 3" pipe and are under 350hp, their word to me were n/a cars work well with some back pressure, turbos truly love 0 back pressure.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Thank you for the advise Trojan horse. I will keep it in mind. It's going to be a daily driver so do you think it should be fine if I don't drive it like a tuner who doesn't leave first gear when driving everywhere? And witch exhaust do you prefer? How long have you owned your mustang?

---------- Post added at 08:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:14 PM ----------

Thank you deadsp0t. What do you own?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:19 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

1995 GT(my second 95, also had an 87LX that was carbed. Also have a 900cc sport bike.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:24 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t
1995 GT(my second 95, also had an 87LX that was carbed. Also have a 900cc sport bike.
What have you done to your GT?
Old 02-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

O/R H-pipe, Mac mufflers, Mac CAI, SCT 4bank chip, MSD cap, coil, and wires, BBK strut tower brace, CJ Pony lowering springs, MM C/C plates. There are exhaust pipe flanges just past the rear end and I have the tail pipes off leaving pipes dumped facing down.

All the parts were on the car when I bought it last aug.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:34 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
O/R H-pipe, Mac mufflers, Mac CAI, SCT 4bank chip, MSD cap, coil, and wires, BBK strut tower brace, CJ Pony lowering springs, MM C/C plates. There are exhaust pipe flanges just past the rear end and I have the tail pipes off leaving pipes dumped facing down.

All the parts were on the car when I bought it last aug.
My list is shorter. I have a bbk CAI, and pulley kit but not installed yet. And no muffler because it fell of. Lucky for me here in Oregon... NO SMOG!!!
Old 02-27-2012, 10:38 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86droptopgt

My list is shorter. I have a bbk CAI, and pulley kit but not installed yet. And no muffler because it fell of. Lucky for me here in Oregon... NO SMOG!!!
Nice! Same here in NC. Is your car speed density or has MAF been retro fitted? If not of suggest switching over to Mass Air before adding boost.
Old 02-27-2012, 10:44 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nice! Same here in NC. Is your car speed density or has MAF been retro fitted? If not of suggest switching over to Mass Air before adding boost.
It will have to be but I was going to anyways. They have a package that includes maf conversation kit, injectors, and fuel pump.
Old 02-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Thank you for the advise Trojan horse. I will keep it in mind. It's going to be a daily driver so do you think it should be fine if I don't drive it like a tuner who doesn't leave first gear when driving everywhere? And witch exhaust do you prefer? How long have you owned your mustang?
If you don't pound on it too much and you are careful to keep it properly tuned and fueled, you will likely be ok, but it's that moment of weakness when someone is taunting you and you can no longer stand it that will do it in.

My preference is the Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system.
I just like the sound and I don't mind the drone that seems to drive some people crazy.

However, I am looking at better flowing, larger exhaust systems for when I am able to complete my supercharger installation. So far it appears that Dynomax has the better flowing mufflers.

I have owned my 86 GT for approximately 15+ years now and I have owned numerous other Mustangs over the last 35 or so years. I bought the first when I was 18 years old. It was a 1973 Mach I with a 351C, 4-speed transmission and 3.50 gears, I sure wish I had been able to keep it.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:41 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If you don't pound on it too much and you are careful to keep it properly tuned and fueled, you will likely be ok, but it's that moment of weakness when someone is taunting you and you can no longer stand it that will do it in.

My preference is the Flowmaster American Thunder exhaust system.
I just like the sound and I don't mind the drone that seems to drive some people crazy.

However, I am looking at better flowing, larger exhaust systems for when I am able to complete my supercharger installation. So far it appears that Dynomax has the better flowing mufflers.

I have owned my 86 GT for approximately 15+ years now and I have owned numerous other Mustangs over the last 35 or so years. I bought the first when I was 18 years old. It was a 1973 Mach I with a 351C, 4-speed transmission and 3.50 gears, I sure wish I had been able to keep it.
I bet she was beautiful car( Mach 1). What have you done to the 86?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:55 AM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I bet she was beautiful car( Mach 1). What have you done to the 86?
A lot, with more to add, when I'm healed up.

Body- 1986 Mustang GT:
Stormin’ Norman fiberglass hood, HO Fibertrends fiberglass hatch w/Lexan rear window, Removed rear seats, sound deadening material and insulation, changed rear ¼ windows to 88 GT style, replaced GT taillight lenses with LX lenses. Weight is down to 2850 lbs., 3050 with me in it.
Engine:
Keith Craft 306 CID, 405 HP, FMS Block, Eagle H-Beam Rods, J.E. Forged Pistons (9:5.1CR), Plasma Moly Rings, FMS Cast Steel Crankshaft, FMS X303 Camshaft, A.R.P. Main & Rod Studs, A.C.L. Main, Rod, & Cam Bearings, Canton 7qt. Oil Pan, DSS Main Stud Girdle & Windage Tray. Want to install a Valley Girdle Pro too.
Induction System:
FMS Cobra Upper & Lower intake ported, Edelbrock Performer RPM Aluminum Heads, ported w/ 1.94 IN & 1.60 EX Valves, and 1.6 Comp Roller Rockers.
Not installed yet mods - Edelbrock 70 MM Throttle Body, Abaco Performance 97mm Mass Air Flow Meter with Bell, Mr. Freeze Methanol Injection, and a Paxton Novi 2000 Supercharger.
Ignition System:
FMS Distributor, Dyna Module, Dyna Coil, Thundervolt 50 plug wires
Not installed yet mods – MSD Digital 6 Ignition, MSD Distributor, Anderson FMS PMS Tuner
Fuel System:
B.B.K. 190 LPH Fuel Pump, Adjustable Pressure Regulator, FMS 24 lb. Injectors, FMS Fuel Filter. Not installed yet mods – AFM 340 LPH Fuel Pump, T-Rex External fuel pump, 60 lph Siemens DEKA Fuel Injectors
Exhaust System:
BBK Equal Length 1 5/8” Headers, BBK 2 ½” Off Road H-Pipes, Flowmaster 2 Chamber Mufflers, Walker SS 2 ½” Tips
Not installed yet mods- BBK 1 ¾” Long Tube Headers & 3” Exhaust system.
Suspension:
Motorsports Struts & Shocks, Southside Lower Lift Bars, Kenny Brown Super Sub Subframe Connectors, Adding custom built torque boxes at this time. Similar to the S.S.M. units, Rear Coilover Shocks & Springs
Not installed yet mods – Front Coilovers & Tubular K-Member & A-Arms.
Driveline:
Motorsports T5 WC Transmission, Pro 5.0 Shifter, Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch, Heavy Duty Clutch Cable, 3:55 Motorsports Gears, Auburn Pro Differential
Not installed yet mods - Aluminum Driveshaft, LPS Differential Cover & Supports
Tires & Wheels:
Currently- Cheap Tires & Weld Draglite Wheels, 15” x 5” front & 15” x 10” rear.
Purchased/Fabricated Upgrades:
Aluminum bushings in rear end housing for upper control arms, double adjustable upper control arms, fabricated pistol grip shifter, line lock, quick release clutch quadrant, Install fabricated aluminum battery box & relocate battery to right rear,…etc….etc.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:06 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Wow all you need is a fiberglass kitchen sink. But that seams like it goes like a bat outta hell.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Wow all you need is a fiberglass kitchen sink. But that seams like it goes like a bat outta hell.
I don't think I have room for the sink.
It runs pretty good, but it will be much faster after the SC installation.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:35 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I don't think I have room for the sink.
It runs pretty good, but it will be much faster after the SC installation.
Is it going to be just a race car or street and strip type of thing?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:49 AM   #21
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

turbos tend to make a lil more hp per pound of boost than a s/c car. you should be ok with a stock motor at just 8lbs. if you keep the timing conservative you should be ok. ive been runnung 11lbs reliably for a few years now, with no btm box or fmu.

14-15lbs is max for a stock motor if your not running a btm box or intercooler (i still run and suggest mls head gaskets and arp studs).

i do not suggest 14-15lbs on a stock motor with turbo though. 8-10 is a good starting point if your not running an intercooler.

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 AM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Is it going to be just a race car or street and strip type of thing?
More of a street & strip car.
I have a few local disbelievers who could use some lessons in humility.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:30 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

More of a street & strip car.
I have a few local disbelievers who could use some lessons in humility.
I know how that feels. Its the same thing here. I also own an 08 Shelby GT500 but that is a special occasion car. I can only drive it on sunny 70 plus degrees.

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
turbos tend to make a lil more hp per pound of boost than a s/c car. you should be ok with a stock motor at just 8lbs. if you keep the timing conservative you should be ok. ive been runnung 11lbs reliably for a few years now, with no btm box or fmu.

14-15lbs is max for a stock motor if your not running a btm box or intercooler (i still run and suggest mls head gaskets and arp studs).

i do not suggest 14-15lbs on a stock motor with turbo though. 8-10 is a good starting point if your not running an intercooler.
Thank you. What size turbo do you run?
Old 02-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #24
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Thank you. What size turbo do you run?[/QUOTE]

i run a centrifugal supercharger... itsa powerdyne. im planning on running j braswells twin screw kit and upping to 15lbs as soon as i get sum money

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 02-28-2012, 01:09 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thank you. What size turbo do you run?
i run a centrifugal supercharger... itsa powerdyne. im planning on running j braswells twin screw kit and upping to 15lbs as soon as i get sum money[/QUOTE]

Any other mods done?
Old 02-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #26
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
i run a centrifugal supercharger... itsa powerdyne. im planning on running j braswells twin screw kit and upping to 15lbs as soon as i get sum money
Any other mods done?[/QUOT]

u must be on an i-phone... u cant see my signature?

Old 02-28-2012, 01:13 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I am and no I can't.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:36 PM   #28
Titus Wadicus
Regular

gear drive..1.7rr..e-cam (.529 total lift).... gear drive.. e7 heads with ported exhaust runners..mls head gaskets..arp head studs..70ml tb...bbk ssi intake w/1 inch plenum spacer..3.45 gear..msd box &coils..30lbs injectors... stock bottom end...powerdyne supercharger bd11-a @11psi with chinese blow-off valve lol.pretty stock overall.

itsa text book set-up. makes 420-430hp depending on dyno

---------- Post added at 02:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

o yea, sum cheap ebay headers and bbk off road x-pipe and mac mufflers...comp .560 lift rated valve springs...and pro-m 75 calibrated for 30lbs. 255lph pump..no fmu or btm box..10 degrees initial

Old 02-28-2012, 01:39 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like lots of time and money. How long have you had it?
Old 02-28-2012, 01:56 PM   #30
Titus Wadicus
Regular

4.5 yrs i had da 92 coupe. took everything and put it in a 96. u just gotta know how to shop and where. but yea it is. i have less money in it though than guys wit slower cars.

and da aftermarket prices have calmed down a bit than when i started building the car. example..the reinforced trailng arms where 179 for upper and same price for lower. now u can get upper and lower for 179 for all. multi-layer steel head gaskets are 79-110 a piece. i bought them on line for 60 bucks shipped for the set. i paid 47 bucks for ten 30lbs injectors at junk yard, not 279 for eight.

paid 60 for the gear drive on line, instead of 130 from jegs.

i can get the car to break da wheels loose and go sideways at 50mph. thats wut makes all the time, money, effort all worth it.

having a car that makes over 400 at wheels and less than 10k in it and no car payments is wut makes it worth the effort to me.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

That is very true. I might get there someday but not anytime soon.
Old 03-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

I have bin considering a turbo kit just 8lbs my friend is selling a kit for. 1200 with a front mount
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:13 AM   #33
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue View Post
I have bin considering a turbo kit just 8lbs my friend is selling a kit for. 1200 with a front mount
sounds like a real nice deal. is he including the exhaust?

Old 03-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

sounds like a real nice deal. is he including the exhaust?
Yea he is, already has a turbo built works block car and this was on his daily
Old 03-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #35
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04machazblue View Post
Yea he is, already has a turbo built works block car and this was on his daily
well go for it... see if you can get the injectors too lol. get as much stuff as possible...lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

« how | Pumped »