Hello, need a little help. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:46 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
This is my first post and first time using a thread so bear with me. I setting up a engine and need to make the final tweaks but I can't decide on what to use. I have a 302 block, 331 stroker kit, edelbrock performer heads p/p to gasket, edelbrock performer intake p/p to heads, 1.7 rockers and total MSD package. Now it's going to be hooked to a tremec 3550, aluminum driveshaft and 3.73 gear. Now my question cam, injectors, throttle body and clutch. I'm doing a complete restoration and the engine is the only thing I have to do. It's going to be a weekend fun car and maybe car shows and cruse ins. Thanks for anyone's input.
89 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Well it all depends on what you plan on doing to the car later. If your looking at doing some sort of forced induction (supercharger or turbo) then for a cam I would do the ford racing e303 cam and a 70 mill throttle body. The clutch would probably be stage 2 and up. A really good website to check out is americanmuscle.com there pretty reasonably priced and have good advice. Also injectors would probably be 24lbs and up also do you have speed density or mass air flow set up?
Foxtrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Hello, need a little help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 coupe View Post
This is my first post and first time using a thread so bear with me. I setting up a engine and need to make the final tweaks but I can't decide on what to use. I have a 302 block, 331 stroker kit, edelbrock performer heads p/p to gasket, edelbrock performer intake p/p to heads, 1.7 rockers and total MSD package. Now it's going to be hooked to a tremec 3550, aluminum driveshaft and 3.73 gear. Now my question cam, injectors, throttle body and clutch. I'm doing a complete restoration and the engine is the only thing I have to do. It's going to be a weekend fun car and maybe car shows and cruse ins. Thanks for anyone's input.
CAM - CamQuest - Input your combination info and let the experts help you choose.

INJECTORS - Depending upon the HP you make 24 or 30 pounders should work for a N/A build. 42 pound and up will be needed for forced induction purposes.

THROTTLE BODY - A 70MM TB will serve unless you are going with forced induction. Your MAF should be 75MM at least. You want to "funnel" the airflow into the intake. The downward step in size will help to increase airflow velocity at the intake.

CLUTCH - My preference is the Centerforce Dual Friction clutch assembly.
It adds 90% more holding capacity over a stock clutch and the reduced pedal feel is an added bonus. With the centrifugal weights on the clutch fingers, the faster you spin it, the tighter it clamps too.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Foxtrot ...,,,Ya maybe next year or so I may go with a turbo. I was looking at the on 3 performance. But I was at a crossroad decision with the money I had. I could do a stock motor with the turbo or a solid bottom end with a few mods and use this for a platform next year. The stroker kit it a forged kit with dish pistons with the heads being milled .15 I still have 62 chambers and should be around 9.5 to 1 compression. Sorry dude I'm rambling on, yes it's a mass flow setup and also wondering is with the above mods a tune is in order if I match the mass air meter with injectors.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Thanks T.H. For your time that helps a lot.

---------- Post added at 09:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 PM ----------

Thanks T.H. For your time that's helps.
89 coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Hello, need a little help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 coupe View Post
Foxtrot ...,,,Ya maybe next year or so I may go with a turbo. I was looking at the on 3 performance. But I was at a crossroad decision with the money I had. I could do a stock motor with the turbo or a solid bottom end with a few mods and use this for a platform next year. The stroker kit it a forged kit with dish pistons with the heads being milled .15 I still have 62 chambers and should be around 9.5 to 1 compression. Sorry dude I'm rambling on, yes it's a mass flow setup and also wondering is with the above mods a tune is in order if I match the mass air meter with injectors.

---------- Post added at 09:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:31 PM ----------

Thanks T.H. For your time that helps a lot.
You are quite welcome.

The mods you listed should be fairly easy for the MAF system to tune for.
However, to get the most from any combination a professional tune is always a bonus.

Matching the MAF to the injectors is definitely required.
I would probably go with the 24 lb injectors, as the 30 lb just never seem to work as well without a tune.
For a MAF, take a look at the digital ABACO MAF's.
They start at 85MM which is a bit large (only 10MM over the 75MM) but it will work just fine.
What I like about them is that you can tune them yourself with a laptop or desktop PC for almost any injector size you wish to use. No sending them back and forth for retuning.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT