I need MAF conversion for dummies - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-29-2012, 11:16 PM   #36
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: I need MAF conversion for dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang View Post
I picked these up for 320 for the pair shipped to my door from summit racing.they are procar seats from scat.they make adapters to make them a directon bolt in.I'm not sure what they cost cause I made my own.
Those look pretty nice.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #37
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Installing seats is relatively easy.
Disconnect any wiring and remove four bolts/nuts and they are loose.
Lift them out, reverse the removal procedure with the new seats and you are done.
You may or may not need to disconnect or reconnect the wiring depending upon if you have power seats and whether or not you buy power replacements.

If you buy "racing" seats DO NOT buy the cheap plastic ones.
They are the most uncomfortable, worthless pieces of junk I was ever stupid enough to purchase.

What do you mean how big is to big? Just measure what you have to get an idea of width and height fitment.

When you buy the subframe connectors be sure to purchase the ones that have the added seat support. That's a weak area in Mustangs and it needs the support.
Just to add a little.the only reason I would see in the cheap plastic seats are serious weight loss.but I agree not worth the uncomfortably.

And if u install the subframe connectors the car needs to he perfectly level.most people prefer to use a drive on style lift.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #38
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Just to add a little.the only reason I would see in the cheap plastic seats are serious weight loss.but I agree not worth the uncomfortably.

And if u install the subframe connectors the car needs to he perfectly level.most people prefer to use a drive on style lift.
I was after the weight loss, but a couple of rides in them changed my mind.
I have the halo headrest seats, made for the Mustang by an aftermarket company (can't remember which one, Recaro maybe?) in my 86 GT and they are not too heavy anyways. See pic.

On the car being level and drive on lift. I did mine on stands and it was a PITA to get it leveled up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #39
Road Trip!

I am scareed to do mine on stands.before I painted my car I set all the gaps and had the doors working great.then I had it at my dads for paint and we had it up on stands all in the same spot and on the same knotch.the doors were sticky and my dad talked me into adjusting them.now they are off a little. .I thought it was kind of wierd but that's why I get scared.I guess I could always lightly stitch them in and check them before I get to crazy on them.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:15 AM   #40
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I am scareed to do mine on stands.before I painted my car I set all the gaps and had the doors working great.then I had it at my dads for paint and we had it up on stands all in the same spot and on the same knotch.the doors were sticky and my dad talked me into adjusting them.now they are off a little. .I thought it was kind of wierd but that's why I get scared.I guess I could always lightly stitch them in and check them before I get to crazy on them.
Once they are on there, they will cure some of that flexibility.
I did go to great pains leveling mine on the stands.
I leveled with and across the front and rear frame stubs and everything worked out just fine.
It is probably better to have it sitting with the suspension loaded on the lift though.
That will more closely approximate road conditions.

If your floor is level you could just set it on some blocks under the wheels as long as you can lock it in place to where it won't roll off.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:17 AM   #41
Road Trip!

That's a good idea to use a level across the frames.I may try this when I install my 10 series.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:25 AM   #42
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
That's a good idea to use a level across the frames.I may try this when I install my 10 series.
Learned that building drag race cars with my cousin years ago.
We built several and they all ran straight and true.
Old 03-01-2012, 06:02 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
I picked these up for 320 for the pair shipped to my door from summit racing.they are procar seats from scat.they make adapters to make them a directon bolt in.I'm not sure what they cost cause I made my own.
Those are sick I like them a lot.

---------- Post added at 07:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Installing seats is relatively easy.
Disconnect any wiring and remove four bolts/nuts and they are loose.
Lift them out, reverse the removal procedure with the new seats and you are done.
You may or may not need to disconnect or reconnect the wiring depending upon if you have power seats and whether or not you buy power replacements.

If you buy "racing" seats DO NOT buy the cheap plastic ones.
They are the most uncomfortable, worthless pieces of junk I was ever stupid enough to purchase.

What do you mean how big is to big? Just measure what you have to get an idea of width and height fitment.

When you buy the subframe connectors be sure to purchase the ones that have the added seat support. That's a weak area in Mustangs and it needs the support.
Yea I wouldn't buy the cheep plastic I have a broken back don't think that would be to comfortable lol. as far as to big I meant heigth wise and by looking at the picture above which is about the same style im looking to go I should be ok. Sub frame connectors - what is a good brand go buy.
87blackonblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:08 AM   #44
Road Trip!

I just want to add about my seats...if you make your own adapters they need to be placed just right between the hump and door.I used a piece of angle iron and mitered it to the hump.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

T hanks man i'm excited to finish My car
Old 03-01-2012, 08:57 AM   #46
Road Trip!

No problem
Old 03-02-2012, 10:25 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Ok with my new gt40 intake what gasket set would be reccomemded and not sure what sef I would need
Old 03-03-2012, 09:02 AM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas

93 cobra intake should be the exact same one!

I chug syrup for money...
wc3john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012, 07:13 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Another question does the brand of headers/xpipe really matter, I have been searching high and low cor some headers and x pipe to fit my budget but its hard being on diability. I have found a few that have 1 5/8 primaries but they are ot cheaper than say bbk headers are also what is the dkwnfall go making my own xpipe I am a very good fabricator and welder but I dont want to hurt the car in anyway. Please help
Old 03-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #50
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87blackonblack View Post
Another question does the brand of headers/xpipe really matter, I have been searching high and low cor some headers and x pipe to fit my budget but its hard being on diability. I have found a few that have 1 5/8 primaries but they are ot cheaper than say bbk headers are also what is the dkwnfall go making my own xpipe I am a very good fabricator and welder but I dont want to hurt the car in anyway. Please help
The brand has a lot to do with the quality and you get to pay a bit more for the name too.
As long as you can get decent quality I wouldn't worry too much about the name.

There is no downfall to making your own X-pipe and you won't hurt the car. Go for it.
A few exhaust pipe elbows, some pipe, some cutting, grinding, and welding = .

When building exhaust, whether it be purchased pieces or custom fabbed, remember that exhaust gases expand, so if you allow for that expansion and step the size up as you go (especially on boosted engines) your exhaust flow can increase significantly.

I plan a system that starts with the BBK 1 3/4" long tube headers (because I can't afford the more costly stepped versions from other builders), which end in 3" collectors. They will feed into a 2.5" off road H-pipe, which will feed into 3" intermediate tubes and mufflers, which in turn will feed into 3.5" tailpipes.

I saw this done in a dyno testing article and the difference was considerable, so I'm convinced it works and it just makes sense that it would.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:31 PM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Next question 24 # injectors out of a 4.6 liter mustang will they fit my 5.0
Old 03-05-2012, 07:51 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
From a 4.6 up until 2004 they should fit. If they are from newer models after 2004 you can still use them but will have to get the adapters which run about 45 bucks.
5.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #53
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.slow View Post
From a 4.6 up until 2004 they should fit. If they are from newer models after 2004 you can still use them but will have to get the adapters which run about 45 bucks.
yea, i think they are called ev1 style and ev2 for the newr plugs that require adaptors.

its amazing how all that stuff works. i have injectors from an 01 vicky in my 95 caprice

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 11:16 AM   #54
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
yea, i think they are called ev1 style and ev2 for the newr plugs that require adaptors.

its amazing how all that stuff works. i have injectors from an 01 vicky in my 95 caprice
Yep.

I have a set of Deka 60lb injectors with the EV2 long body, but the connector for the EV1's to fit in my 86 GT when I install the SC. They interchange, but note that the longer body injectors may require a little fitting modification for your fuel rail brackets.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:25 AM   #55
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Yep.

I have a set of Deka 60lb injectors with the EV2 long body, but the connector for the EV1's to fit in my 86 GT when I install the SC. They interchange, but note that the longer body injectors may require a little fitting modification for your fuel rail brackets.
ive never had any diffuculties with the "pencil type" injectors... they look like they wont fit, but ive never had any issues. now i believe the "ev3" is the one that wont "all the time" with the weird sideways plug.

does that sound correct, or am i talkn out the side of my neck again? lol.

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 03-06-2012, 11:44 AM   #56
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
ive never had any diffuculties with the "pencil type" injectors... they look like they wont fit, but ive never had any issues. now i believe the "ev3" is the one that wont "all the time" with the weird sideways plug.

does that sound correct, or am i talkn out the side of my neck again? lol.
No you are fine, I might be though.

I have not tried to install them yet, but they looked to be a good bit longer so I assumed there might be issues.

And you know what they say about "assume"....
....it makes an *** out of U and ME.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:02 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Two questions 1. Can I use all my stock componets on a gt40 upper and lower - throttle boxy fuel rails ext..... I just wknt have the funds for a while.... 2. I heard that there is a way to piggy back off of your speed density setup and u can splice the wires from a mass air flow into it and it will work the same way with a maf computer?
Old 03-09-2012, 07:36 PM   #58
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Two questions 1. Can I use all my stock componets on a gt40 upper and lower - throttle boxy fuel rails ext..... I just wknt have the funds for a while.... 2. I heard that there is a way to piggy back off of your speed density setup and u can splice the wires from a mass air flow into it and it will work the same way with a maf computer?
i have never heard of that.

speed density uses a set of "preset parameters" or 'fuel mapping"...

mass air doesnt use the same "pre-set" values... it dictates the fuel map from live data (mass air meter)...

basicly a mass air meter gives the computer eyes... it knows how much air is coming in, therefore it can generate a fuel map for that given value or amount of air.

with speed density the computer is blind, it doesnt know when the engine needs more fuel when u add a bigger cam. it uses the preloaded fuel map from ford based upon rpm.

that is the best way i can explain it...

anyway, i would just swap it to mass air the right way.

if u r hard up to put ur cam in and on a budget i would be happy to walk u through it.

pm me if u like...

Old 03-09-2012, 07:55 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

I have never heard of the SD piggy back thing either lol soon ill be able to do it hopefully but as far as the upper and lower intake and cam I can do that with the stock CPU and fuel rails and TB correct and it will still work
Old 03-09-2012, 07:59 PM   #60
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
I have never heard of the SD piggy back thing either lol soon ill be able to do it hopefully but as far as the upper and lower intake and cam I can do that with the stock CPU and fuel rails and TB correct and it will still work
if it is speed density i would say everything but the cam...

Old 03-09-2012, 08:43 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man I appreciate it. I think this winter I'll do the cam and maf and maybe heads as well who knows lol
Old 04-01-2012, 01:24 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

ok i found this on Ebay and couldn't pass it up i paid 225 plus shipping. now i can do my upper and lower gt40 intake let me know if this was a good deal? http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ford-Mustang...-/330707732666
Old 04-01-2012, 01:29 PM   #63
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
ok i found this on Ebay and couldn't pass it up i paid 225 plus shipping. now i can do my upper and lower gt40 intake let me know if this was a good deal? Ford Mustang 5.0L Mass Air Conversion Kit w/MAF sensor, ECU, and wiring kit. | eBay
Looks ok.
As long as the ECU is good you got a good deal.
Don't forget to change the MAP sensor to the MAF version.
For some reason that particular part seems to be left out of most conversion instructions.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:31 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

glad you sad something because i wouldnt have changed it. is there a particular one i should look for?
Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 PM   #65
Road Trip!

I think you did pretty good.as long as everything works good.nice score.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:49 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

thanks man i was bummed no s salvage yard around me had any wrecked cars i could have got one From and all theed kits i found were$400 plus. so this was huge for me to precede farther with my build now
Old 04-01-2012, 01:53 PM   #67
Road Trip!

I hear you.there must be about 20 salvage yards in driving distance from me.and none of them ever have mustangs.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:55 PM   #68
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
glad you sad something because i wouldnt have changed it. is there a particular one i should look for?
Find out what year your ECU is from and just pick one up for that year Mustang from an auto parts store.
More than likely all of the MAF versions are the same though.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

okay the CPU is from an 89 will a map sensor from a 93 work? i have a buddy who has an extra one laying around that's almost brand new

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

meant ecu
Old 04-04-2012, 03:14 AM   #70
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
okay the CPU is from an 89 will a map sensor from a 93 work? i have a buddy who has an extra one laying around that's almost brand new

---------- Post added at 11:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 PM ----------

meant ecu
Yes it should work just fine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT