Drag racing - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-27-2012, 11:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Drag racing

K I'm up watching NASCAR and a bit bored. Was thinking about hitting the local drag strip when I get home for the first time with my stang. This will also be my first time racing a stick. 5.0 is all stock except for 3.73 gears new upper and lowers and subframe connectors. I'm kinda nervous. I haven't been to the strip in couple years and like I said first time ever with a stick. I don't know when my shift points should be. Idk at what rpm to leave line at I'm thinking start at around 2500. And work up. Oh forgot and torque box reinforcements. And how to shift. I've heard of speed shifting where you don't use the clutch is this possible or will my t5 explode lol. Any and all advise is appreciated thanks every one.
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2012, 11:52 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Drag racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain78 View Post
K I'm up watching NASCAR and a bit bored. Was thinking about hitting the local drag strip when I get home for the first time with my stang. This will also be my first time racing a stick. 5.0 is all stock except for 3.73 gears new upper and lowers and subframe connectors. I'm kinda nervous. I haven't been to the strip in couple years and like I said first time ever with a stick. I don't know when my shift points should be. Idk at what rpm to leave line at I'm thinking start at around 2500. And work up. Oh forgot and torque box reinforcements. And how to shift. I've heard of speed shifting where you don't use the clutch is this possible or will my t5 explode lol. Any and all advise is appreciated thanks every one.
#1 - USE THE CLUTCH - Trying to shift without it and forcing the transmission into gear will destroy your transmission.
The method I use is what is called "Powershifting". It's called that because you remain under power throughout the shift.
You keep the gas pedal matted, make a quick stab at the clutch and quickly shift to the next gear. Just make sure you have an aftermarket shifter with adjustable stops so you don't bend the internal shifting forks.

#2 - Launch - Start at the 2500 and adjust up or down as your car set up requires.

#3 - Shift Points - Hard to say what your combo will work best with, but 4500 to 5000 are regularly used on mostly stock Mustangs of the 79-95 year range.
You should be able at some point in accelerating and building RPMs to tell when your engine quits pulling and is just building revs. You want to shift when the engine quits pulling as you are at the end of its power band.

Try to remain as calm as possible, do your burnout and stage in exactly the same way each time once you find what works for you.
Keep a record of each run with as much pertinent information as you can gather.
Remove as much excess weight from your car as possible, as less weight equals better performance.
Don't over do the burnouts. You need just enough to clean and heat the tires.
Any excess will only shorten your tire life and if they get hot enough they may be "greasy" out of the hole.
With practice (on a .500 tree) try to leave as early as you can without redlighting.
It will take some time for you to dump the clutch, mash the gas pedal and for your car to begin moving, so you actually will want to leave at the end of the last yellow bulb probably.
Keep practicing until you have it down for your car and combo.
Inspect your car after every run to ensure all fluid levels and parts are intact.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 12:35 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
What he said^^
It's a lot of small tasks in a short period of time, especially launching. It takes practice and most of all patience. First time at the drags for me w/ a stick I didn't try to over do it and made two clean passes at about 80* seriousness to feel out the surface and get a feel for my car. Something that gets looked over sometimes is tire pressure in the rear, less will help you hook up but be sure both rears have the same pressure.
Again be patient as learning all the little things takes time, and the learning curve can be steep. I strongly agree about writing a log in a notebook, and keeping up with data like temps, tire pressure, shift points etc, also agree with checking over the car after each pass and letting it cool some between runs. One more thing, it's always nice to have at least one friend(preferable one with mechanic skills) and some tools handy just in case. All things myself and others learned the hard way lol
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2012, 12:38 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Drag racing

I ran across this neat little online drag racing game. Use it to sharpen your reaction times maybe?
It's a fun way to waste some time anyways.
I am TJH in the game.

Haulin' AZZ Drag Racing
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Thanks guys. I still have my drag log from couple years ago when I raced my 77. All good things said I'll keep them in mind thanks a lot guys.
captain78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 03:54 AM   #6

Region: Alaska
I wouldn't worry about the light your first time back. Getting comfortable in your car is the main goal. Take it easy and have fun.
91redfox is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT