Mustang Evolution Forum banner

Ram Air?

2K views 15 replies 3 participants last post by  Trojan Horse 
#1 ·
Has anyone heard anything about or used the March 1410 ram air system? I wonder how well it would work compared to a fenderwell mounted cai.

#2 ·
I have it installed on my daughter's 89 GT Convertible it works fine and since it is picking up pressurized air from the front of the car it probably works better because the air is being forced in when at speed.

#4 ·
It goes under the bumper.

#6 ·
At this point (several years later) I really don't remember and it's in the garage and I'm sitting here warm and cozy. :)
You could go to their website and see if they have installation instructions you could download and read. :good:

#9 ·
Yeah, that could be a problem. :(
My daughter's car doesn't get driven in the rain, so it's safe.

I do however intend to do something similar on my 86 GT, but I intend to use the fog light hole for the air intake. :good:

#10 ·
Trojan Horse said:
Yeah, that could be a problem. :(
My daughter's car doesn't get driven in the rain, so it's safe.

I do however intend to do something similar on my 86 GT, but I intend to use the fog light hole for the air intake. :good:
Had mine hooked up like that for a little bit except I used both fog holes. Guess you could mount it in the middle opening as well to gain some clearance.

#12 ·
Fenderwell mounted air filters can get wet in the rain too.
Take a look in there after driving in the rain.
The March filter is located up in the box under the hood and they may already have one, but you could also cut a small drain hole in the bottom to drain any excess water without losing much of the ram air effect.

#14 ·
I did a search on issues with the March Ram Air and some people had issues and others did not.
One guy had been running his for 13-14 years with no problems.
I noticed that the guys who had problems, most had those problems during heavy flooding rains.
If you drive it fast enough into large puddles or flooded streets I'm sure you could force enough water in there to damage your engine.
A little care and some common sense will keep you safe if it is what you really want to use. :good:

On a side note I owned a 70 429 CJ Torino years ago.
It had the functional Ram Air hood scoop on it that fed directly into the air cleaner on top of the carburetor and I drove it in the rain, heavy and light all the time as it was my only transportation and never had a minutes trouble with it.

#15 ·
The kit is nice... I only pointed out the rain factor because where I live if it rains hard for any amount of time the streets flood. I drove it in the rain for quite some time, wasn't until a 2003 Cobra with a low mounted fenderwell kit came in the shop that I took mine off.

People with regular cold airs lock there motors up trying to drive through a couple feet of water around here..lol

#16 ·
Here too, and the most common statement when they've killed their engine is: "Oh, I never thought about that."
Most people are not mechanically inclined, so they don't think like a lot of us do and they are not aware of certain consequences of their actions, so they will blindly drive right through large puddles and flooded streets. :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.