87 AOD rebuild - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-01-2012, 08:39 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
87 AOD rebuild

thinking about rebuilding my AOD, any suggestions on combinations of things or tips and tricks?
bcosta56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcosta56
thinking about rebuilding my AOD, any suggestions on combinations of things or tips and tricks?
I think u would like a t-5 swap better and it's pretty simple I did it to mine my car would go 14.0 at 99mph with a 3,000 stall put tf in I went 13 flat with a lot more
Room to grow I should be able to do twelves with a few adjustments
Gt40x heads,e 303 cam, Ford racing 1.6 roller rockers, cobra upper and lower intake, ram air intake, c&l bigger maf, 30lb injectors, Bbk fuel Pressure regulator, double roller timing chain,Bbk shorty headers & h-pipe,flowmasters cat back,chipped,t-5 swap king cobra clutch, 4.10 gears.
04machazblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: 87 AOD rebuild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcosta56 View Post
The Ford AOD transmission is basically the old C-4 automatic transmission with an overdrive gear added to it.
From the factory, the AOD transmission has what might be called "slushy" shift calibrations at best. It also has a very weak 2-piece input shaft that locks up high gear at cruising speeds for better fuel economy. The clutches in the AOD are also to small and to few to effectively handle increased power levels or more aggressive shift calibrations. The factory B-Servo will eventually cause slippage and wear on the OD bands as the transmission shifts from 3rd gear into overdrive, especially if the engine has been modified from stock configuration. The overdrive bands themselves are small which also contributes to the issue. Stock transmission filters while adequate are also restrictive and frequently contribute to fluid leaks between the valve body and separator plates inside the transmission if the engine has been modified much.

As long as the engine remains relatively unmodified and the transmission isn't beat on to much they last a reasonable amount of time. However that is hardly ever the case with a Mustang.

The following modifications or improvements should be considered mandatory if you plan to modify and improve the engine.

1. A good quality, name brand shift kit should be installed during the rebuild to provide firmer shifts in a more performance oriented manner.

2. Replace the weak 2-piece input shaft with a stronger aftermarket unit to withstand the increased horsepower levels.

3. Install stronger aftermarket clutch packs to prevent excessive slippage and heat buildup and to handle the more aggressive shift calibrations provided by the shift kit.

4. Swap the B-Servo for an A-Servo like is used in the 89-97 supercharged Thunderbird/Mercury Cougar. It will provide increased clamping force on the OD bands and reduce slippage and improve durability.

5. Replace the stock style transmission filter with a less restrictive aftermarket unit for increased fluid flow and to lessen the chances of over pressurization and internal leaking.

6. Last, but not least by any means internal modification, install a good quality, properly sized aftermarket transmission cooler. Excessive heat is an automatic transmission killer. Keeping the temperature down will allow your transmission to work better and live longer. It will also serve to remove some heat from your cooling system which may already be overworked by your modified engine. The more power you make with the engine the more heat you will generate in the transmission. This particular mod can also be used to prolong the life of any stock AOD transmission too.

7. Stall converter. The correct stall (torque) converter is essential to any high performance build that includes an automatic transmission. Choosing a converter for your application is best left up to the experts as there are many factors to consider and using the wrong converter could slow down your car or damage your transmission.

Unless you have a fully equipped shop and you are experienced with automatic transmission overhaul and modification, the procedure is best left to the professionals. They have the proper tools and knowledge to rebuild and modify your transmission and you will have someone to turn to if something does go wrong.

Ok, I'm tired now.
That'll be $99.95 + tax.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx

if you have a friend that builds thats the way to go. or buy a racing aod..i have a 700hp unit, and itsa nassssty piece. but they are a lil pricey. itsa basicly a non electric 4r70w in a aod case with kevlar clutches.

or you can do a budget build. most of the stuff u can find at an auto trans supplier.. or ebay, some stuff is a lil cheaper.

kevlar clutches....
new steeles...
you can get larger springs for the servos...optional..i would leave the servos alone though, your gonna get more longeveity with the shift kit alone
P.A. auto/manual valve body
and use the newer 4r70w/aode style sprag

non lock-up converter....
makes more heat than lock-up converter (i run "two" 8 pass coolers), but is more durable for high hp and is less stress on the input shaft as stated above... but u will run approx 200rpm higher in overdrive which will make u lose a bit of fuel economy.

a lock-up converter is ok, and prolly a bit better if you do more highway or over 60mph driving

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
i would leave the servos alone though, your gonna get more longeveity with the shift kit alone
Sorry, but that's just wrong.

The shift kit will help increase longevity because the clutches are not slipping as much with the firmer shifts, but the servo & OD band issue is a well known weak point in the AOD.

They're the main reason you don't want to let the AOD transmission shift into overdrive under full throttle.
Adding a shift kit to make the transmission shift harder is only going to accelerate the demise of the OD bands wit the weaker B-Servo.
Old 03-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
How do you prevent it from shifting into od?
5.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.slow View Post
How do you prevent it from shifting into od?
Shift by hand and stop shifting when you hit 3rd gear, don't go into OD.
If it happens to shift anyways you should get out of the gas ASAP.
You should really have a manual/auto valve body when shifting by hand.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #8
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
Sorry, but that's just wrong.

The shift kit will help increase longevity because the clutches are not slipping as much with the firmer shifts, but the servo & OD band issue is a well known weak point in the AOD.

They're the main reason you don't want to let the AOD transmission shift into overdrive under full throttle.
Adding a shift kit to make the transmission shift harder is only going to accelerate the demise of the OD bands wit the weaker B-Servo.
first of all....
i think the thread starter asked for tips on rebuilding....anyway, i wasnt debating any of that stuff, sooo not sure wut im wrong on

rather u change servo springs or just a valve body kit ..ur gonna get roughly the same results.... not too mention, ford did several revisions/updates on the valve body and servo springs to help fix that.

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 03-01-2012, 02:03 PM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
first of all....
i think the thread starter asked for tips on rebuilding....anyway, i wasnt debating any of that stuff, sooo not sure wut im wrong on

rather u change servo springs or just a valve body kit ..ur gonna get roughly the same results.... not too mention, ford did several revisions/updates on the valve body and servo springs to help fix that.
I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you.
I just want to be sure he gets accurate and correct information.
My info comes from a Mustang Performance Projects book written in 2004 and the Baumannator website if you want to look it up. As always I make mistakes too and if I have and it is proven to me, I will freely admit it, correct them and go on.

Yes, he did ask for tips on rebuilding which I did my best to supply and I wasn't debating either, but what you told him is not quite correct and I just pointed it out as such.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx
i would leave the servos alone though, your gonna get more longeveity with the shift kit alone
You just don't get the same results with a servo upgrade and valve body kit.
There is a bit of overlap from the increased pressure, but the shift kit does not increase the longevity of the OD bands much if any at all.

The valve body kit firms up the gear shifts through pressure on the clutches and bands.
The A-servo mod will not drastically improve the 3-4 shift, but it increases the band force by 50% on the OD bands to increase the durability and longevity in that relatively weak area of the AOD.

Peace.
Old 03-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

thanks for the info guys, but with how the engine would be built wouldnt it make how much i need to do to the transmission more or less? im going with gt40pheads, gt40 intake, 1.6 rr, and a tfs1 cam, so far.. will i even be making enough power to need to go that crazy with it? this is all my first build and im just trying to get as much info from people who may have done or seen this done before so i dont fail drastically
Old 03-01-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you.
I just want to be sure he gets accurate and correct information.
My info comes from a Mustang Performance Projects book written in 2004 and the Baumannator website if you want to look it up. As always I make mistakes too and if I have and it is proven to me, I will freely admit it, correct them and go on.

Yes, he did ask for tips on rebuilding which I did my best to supply and I wasn't debating either, but what you told him is not quite correct and I just pointed it out as such.

You just don't get the same results with a servo upgrade and valve body kit.
There is a bit of overlap from the increased pressure, but the shift kit does not increase the longevity of the OD bands much if any at all.

The valve body kit firms up the gear shifts through pressure on the clutches and bands.
The A-servo mod will not drastically improve the 3-4 shift, but it increases the band force by 50% on the OD bands to increase the durability and longevity in that relatively weak area of the AOD.

Peace.
its singular...one band. and i was refering to the clutches, not the overdrive the band. the od band clamps onto the drum...and so on....... my best friend is a pro builder. ive been helping him for past 6yrs with aod, aode, 4r70w, 4l60e. i help disassemble, clean, order parts, reassemble and air check the units. im not claiming to be a builder, but i learned hands on (not a book), i "know" wut the parts look like and where they go.

so u can piss by yourself.....

im dropping outa this thread while its still civil....

---------- Post added at 05:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:30 PM ----------

Quote:
thanks for the info guys, but with how the engine would be built wouldnt it make how much i need to do to the transmission more or less? im going with gt40pheads, gt40 intake, 1.6 rr, and a tfs1 cam, so far.. will i even be making enough power to need to go that crazy with it? this is all my first build and im just trying to get as much info from people who may have done or seen this done before so i dont fail drastically
thats not alot of rwd hp. i wouldnt think u need more than sum kevlar clutches and a shift kit is optional i guesse. and i suppose a tighter servo spring for o.d. (per trojan horse). wouldnt hurt.

personaly, i think u r ok with stock rebuild with latest updates in the kit...

Old 03-01-2012, 09:47 PM   #12
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
A stock 5.0 treated to the GT40X heads and GT40 intake should develop around 300 crankshaft horsepower and I'm not exactly sure how much torque. The cam choice will have a lot to do with that. Your mods should get you close to that figure. The modifications and improvements I posted are considered the minimal improvements you should make if you are modifying your engine. They focus on the known weak areas of the transmission that need improvement the most.

Quote:
its singular...one band. and i was refering to the clutches, not the overdrive the band. the od band clamps onto the drum...and so on....... my best friend is a pro builder. ive been helping him for past 6yrs with aod, aode, 4r70w, 4l60e. i help disassemble, clean, order parts, reassemble and air check the units. im not claiming to be a builder, but i learned hands on (not a book), i "know" wut the parts look like and where they go.
Fair enough, I accidently put an "s" on band and you found it. I made a mistake and I admit it was wrong. I have spent the last 30 years working with and on automatic transmissions of all kinds. I know what the internals are, where they go, and because I read "books" I know what most of them do and how to modify them for performance.
I have two expert builders who I also get information from and work with on transmissions. One is a relative the other is a close friend. The friend owns a shop and works on transmissions daily. The relative and I have built automatic transmissions that have stood up to 1400+ horsepower drag race cars. So I am not lacking in hands on experience or book knowledge.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
A stock 5.0 treated to the GT40X heads and GT40 intake should develop around 300 crankshaft horsepower and I'm not exactly sure how much torque. The cam choice will have a lot to do with that. Your mods should get you close to that figure. The modifications and improvements I posted are considered the minimal improvements you should make if you are modifying your engine. They focus on the known weak areas of the transmission that need improvement the most.

Fair enough, I accidently put an "s" on band and you found it. I made a mistake and I admit it was wrong. I have spent the last 30 years working with and on automatic transmissions of all kinds. I know what the internals are, where they go, and because I read "books" I know what most of them do and how to modify them for performance.
I have two expert builders who I also get information from and work with on transmissions. One is a relative the other is a close friend. The friend owns a shop and works on transmissions daily. The relative and I have built automatic transmissions that have stood up to 1400+ horsepower drag race cars. So I am not lacking in hands on experience or book knowledge.
yea i know it was an accident. i was just nit pikn u cause i was losing focus on wth we were even talkn bout. and like i said, i was refering to clutch wear not the band.

i was kinda curious though to y u refer to it as "servo mod"... granted, its prolly the correct term. but usualy, ppl that read it in books refer to it as that, but when u start building u most ppl just refer to it as a spring change.

u remeber back in the 80's and 90's everyone was raving bout corvette servos in their trannys.

also, were u refering to just the od band servo? or all of them?

Old 03-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
yea i know it was an accident. i was just nit pikn u cause i was losing focus on wth we were even talkn bout. and like i said, i was refering to clutch wear not the band.

i was kinda curious though to y u refer to it as "servo mod"... granted, its prolly the correct term. but usualy, ppl that read it in books refer to it as that, but when u start building u most ppl just refer to it as a spring change.

u remeber back in the 80's and 90's everyone was raving bout corvette servos in their trannys.

also, were u refering to just the od band servo? or all of them?
We both just got a little sideways about what we were discussing.
No harm, no foul intended.
If I think I'm right, I'm one of those people who will argue with you about it till' we're both blue in the face.
I never mean any disrespect or harbor any ill feelings about it though.

I was referring to the longevity and durability of the whole transmission.

I call it a mod or modification because you change more than just the spring.
That and I tend to describe things a little differently than most people, even the locals around here.

"A" Servo Mod =
E9SZ-7F200-A - Servo Piston
E9SZ-7D027-A - Servo Cover
E9SZ-7F201-A - Return Spring
E9SZ-7D024-A - Piston Seal
E0AZ-7D026-A - Cover Seal (two required, fits all servos)

Yes, it is just the OD Servo. It's the one most prone to failure.

Corvette servos in a Ford transmission?
That's a new one to me, never heard about using that.
We used the A servo that also came in the 92-93 Ford trucks in addition to the cars listed in my post above above. I think TCI has a kit for it that may be a bit better with a billet cover too.
Old 03-04-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys for the amout of information this was beyond helpful for me,i appreciate it
Old 03-04-2012, 10:47 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Thanks guys for the amout of information this was beyond helpful for me,i appreciate it
You're welcome and good luck with your rebuild.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT