head intake swap checklist - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Delaware
head intake swap checklist

While I have my heads being prepared at the machine shop, I'm trying to make sure I have everything I need before swapping them and my intake. Is there a thread that lists required items? If not, here's what I have so far. Just need to know what I'm missing.

Ported upper and lower explorer intake with #5 runner tapped
Gt40p heads being checked
1.7 cobra roller rockers,
70 mm holley throttle body and matching egr spacer.
75mm pro flow maf meter for 24lb injectors,
24 lb fuel injectors

Things I know I need:
Intake spacer( 1 in or 1/2 inch?)
Tall valve covers ( aluminum or steel?)
Gaskets for heads, intakes, and throttle body.
A.r.p. head bolts(what size?)
New intake bolts?

What else am I missing? I don't want to get started and have to stop to get or order something. Thanks in advance for any input. Also, I'm not changing my Ho cam at this time.
5.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2012, 04:35 PM   #2
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
gaskets for headers.if you get a head gasket set it will come with the required gaskets.

your head bolts are 7/16 unless they have been modified.they should come in the proper lengths when ordered for your motor.

i perfer aluminum valve covers but are not necessary.these are the covers i have and can be had for 80$ see pic

i would replace your intake bolts,mostly for looks though again not required.

im not sure on the intake spacer and most people probably cant tell you.your gonna either have to play it safe and get the bigger one or mock everything up valve cover,intake, etc and measure what u need.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4026064967.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	42284  
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:04 PM   #3
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: head intake swap checklist

You will need the 1" spacer to clear tall valve covers with the EFI intakes.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2012, 02:27 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks guys. Before I start ordering gaskets here are the numbers I have looked up.

Head gasket- felpro 1011-1
Intake gasket- felpro 1250s3
Tb gaskets - edelbrock 3830 gaskets

Head bolts- ARP 154-3601
Intake bolts- ARP 454-2101

Spark plugs- awsf-32c

Do these look like the correct gaskets and bolts for my application? Thanks
Old 03-05-2012, 03:40 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Or is the correct head gasket q9333. I'm confused so many
Old 03-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.slow View Post
Or is the correct head gasket q9333. I'm confused so many
The Fel Pro 9333-PT-1 gaskets are for a basic stock rebuild if you do not plan to add forced induction later they will work fine.

The Fel Pro 1011-1 and 1011-2 head gaskets are Loc Wire Ring gaskets and they require that a receiver groove be precisely machined into your cylinder heads to seal properly. The precise machining of the groove is critical to these gaskets sealing properly. These gaskets work well on forced induction engine builds. The 1011-2 gaskets use a pre-flattened copper wire for aluminum heads so they do not "brinell" the aluminum heads. The 1011-1 gaskets work with iron heads.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I don't think I'm going to be machining a groove into these heads so I will probably go with the 9333 pt1. Are there other head gaskets that hold up better or are these as good as any? Thanks Trojan for your response.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I don't think I'm going to be machining a groove into these heads so I will probably go with the 9333 pt1. Are there other head gaskets that hold up better or are these as good as any? Thanks Trojan for your response.
Those are as good as any for your purposes.
You're welcome and good luck with your project.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

My intake came without the tubes below the upper, can I move them from the stock over to this or do I need to find them somewhere else. Also I'm wondering what the two holes under the plenum were drilled out for. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to acquire as much of the little stuff as I can prior to my swap cuz if I stop and order something there is no telling when I will get back to it. Hopefully the picture attaches to this post.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20120308_111211.png
Views:	176
Size:	520.7 KB
ID:	42931
Old 03-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
My intake came without the tubes below the upper, can I move them from the stock over to this or do I need to find them somewhere else. Also I'm wondering what the two holes under the plenum were drilled out for. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I'm trying to acquire as much of the little stuff as I can prior to my swap cuz if I stop and order something there is no telling when I will get back to it. Hopefully the picture attaches to this post.
What tubes? The fuel lines?
Yes, you can use the fuel lines from the stock manifold.

The plenum holes are for vacuum fittings.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah there are about 7 holes in the bottom of the upper plenum in various places. I just don't remember seeing that many on my stock intake.
Old 03-08-2012, 03:39 PM   #12
Road Trip!

Just use what u need and plug the rest.
Old 03-14-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

A friend took my heads to the machine shop the other day and was asked if I wanted a standard valve job or a performance valve job. The shop said a standard valve job was a truck valve job. So, I'm wondering what is the difference? Maybe a 3 vs 5 angle? He forgot to ask what was the price difference but I have to let him know which one I want before he will start working on the heads. Any suggestions or thoughts?
Old 03-14-2012, 09:57 PM   #14
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
A friend took my heads to the machine shop the other day and was asked if I wanted a standard valve job or a performance valve job. The shop said a standard valve job was a truck valve job. So, I'm wondering what is the difference? Maybe a 3 vs 5 angle? He forgot to ask what was the price difference but I have to let him know which one I want before he will start working on the heads. Any suggestions or thoughts?
Around here standard is a 1-2 angle valve job.
Performance is a 3-5 angle valve job.
Get the Performance valve job.
Old 04-17-2012, 10:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Went on vacation while my gt40p heads are still in the shop. Bad news though. Every one of the intake valves were bent along with 3 or 4 exhaust valves. What could have caused this? The heads themselves are fine though.

I bought these used so I basically had it coming....

So I need new valves and its up to me what kind to get. Machine shop said about 8-10 bucks a piece for mid grade valves. My question is should I put in bigger valves now and how difficult would it be for the machine shop to open it for the larger valves?
Old 04-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #16
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Went on vacation while my gt40p heads are still in the shop. Bad news though. Every one of the intake valves were bent along with 3 or 4 exhaust valves. What could have caused this? The heads themselves are fine though.

I bought these used so I basically had it coming....

So I need new valves and its up to me what kind to get. Machine shop said about 8-10 bucks a piece for mid grade valves. My question is should I put in bigger valves now and how difficult would it be for the machine shop to open it for the larger valves?
Pistons hit the valve heads.
What ratio rocker arms were on them?

You can install bigger valves if you have the clearance for them or have the pistons flycut for clearance.
A competent machine shop will have no problems doing it.

IMO, you'd be better off saving your money and buying a set of aluminum heads.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:12 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm not sure what ratio rockers were on them before or what type of pistons were used. I was hoping to use 1.7s with a stock or b cam at most. I should have gone with some cheap aluminum heads but the problem now would be the wife and money. It's easier to convince her that I only paid something smaller for used parts when she already knows how expensive aluminum heads are new. I'll call the shop and check.prices and see what I owe and how much everything will.cost before making my decision. Thanks Trojan. I'll live and learn I guess
Old 05-07-2012, 02:13 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Finally got my heads back from the shop. They ended up resurfacing them and took .005 off. Does this change my valve train geometry to where I would need shorter push rods? If so, would a thicker head gasket work?
Old 05-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #19
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.slow
Finally got my heads back from the shop. They ended up resurfacing them and took .005 off. Does this change my valve train geometry to where I would need shorter push rods? If so, would a thicker head gasket work?
No, .005 will not affect pushrod length.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks!

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Just noticed an accessory bolt broke off in the head that the machine shop missed. I can just turn the heads around right?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:47 PM   #21
Road Trip!

Quote:
Thanks!

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

Just noticed an accessory bolt broke off in the head that the machine shop missed. I can just turn the heads around right?
I can tell you for sure that most heads are reversible. The only things that really matter are gonna be the smog holes if you plan on using them, that is if it even has them.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
While I have my heads being prepared at the machine shop, I'm trying to make sure I have everything I need before swapping them and my intake. Is there a thread that lists required items? If not, here's what I have so far. Just need to know what I'm missing.

Ported upper and lower explorer intake with #5 runner tapped
Gt40p heads being checked
1.7 cobra roller rockers,
70 mm holley throttle body and matching egr spacer.
75mm pro flow maf meter for 24lb injectors,
24 lb fuel injectors

Things I know I need:
Intake spacer( 1 in or 1/2 inch?)
Tall valve covers ( aluminum or steel?)
Gaskets for heads, intakes, and throttle body.
A.r.p. head bolts(what size?)
New intake bolts?

What else am I missing? I don't want to get started and have to stop to get or order something. Thanks in advance for any input. Also, I'm not changing my Ho cam at this time.
Sorry for not reading everyone's reply I don't know if this was stated but with tall valve covers you'll need the 1 inch spacer for clearance !!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT