foxlake E-Street heads - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

foxlake E-Street heads

Im just going to do heads come this spring with 1.7 rr and found these and was wondering what you all think of them for the price? Also im going to do a 331 boss short block next winter after i save up this summer so thats why i was looking a ported heads a little. Thanks
http://www.foxlakeracing.com/edelbrock_e-street.php

Current- Stock long block 118k, MAC CAI, 75mm Pro M MAF, PP 70mm TB,BBK shorties,BBK O/R H, Magnaflow catback, KING cobra clutch, 3.73 Gears

Soon to be Vortech blown with a built 306 Numbers and times to follow!!!
cgarray17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 11:21 AM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: foxlake E-Street heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarray17 View Post
Im just going to do heads come this spring with 1.7 rr and found these and was wondering what you all think of them for the price? Also im going to do a 331 boss short block next winter after i save up this summer so thats why i was looking a ported heads a little. Thanks
Fox Lake Power Products, intake manifolds, assembled shortblocks, modular shortblocks, CNC modular heads, P-51 installation, comp cams, crower, ferrea components 1999
Had a hard time determining exactly what they were selling and for what price.
Are these what you are looking at - Edelbrock E-Street 5023 ?

If so they don't flow very much and a larger head might be better for your 331.
Look at the AFR 185 & 205 heads for your application.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:31 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I was looking at the set from foxlake, they are ported and cnc cambers with 2.02 and 1.60 valves and new springs good till .600" lift cam and flow 300 cfm at .600". I would not get the stock castings as i can tell they would be too small for a 331. But they are going on a stock shortblock now.

Current- Stock long block 118k, MAC CAI, 75mm Pro M MAF, PP 70mm TB,BBK shorties,BBK O/R H, Magnaflow catback, KING cobra clutch, 3.73 Gears

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
I was looking at the set from foxlake, they are ported and cnc cambers with 2.02 and 1.60 valves and new springs good till .600" lift cam and flow 300 cfm at .600". I would not get the stock castings as i can tell they would be too small for a 331. But they are going on a stock shortblock now.
2.02 valves may not work on a stock shortblock.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

2.02 valves may not work on a stock shortblock.
Even if its only the stock cam? I think the TF has 2.02 valves and the rep told me they would clear stock pistons even with the tfs 1 cam installed straight up.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:59 AM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Even if its only the stock cam? I think the TF has 2.02 valves and the rep told me they would clear stock pistons even with the tfs 1 cam installed straight up.
TFS changes the angle of the valves to allow for more clearance. So they work where others will not.
Why don't you just go with their 360 HP HCI top end kit?
Then you will know they will work and you get a proven performance combination.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

TFS changes the angle of the valves to allow for more clearance. So they work where others will not.
Why don't you just go with their 360 HP HCI top end kit?
Then you will know they will work and you get a proven performance combination.
That is what i might just do at this point. Just more money then i was looking to spend right now and doing a cam with the motor still in the car im told is a major PITA. But maybe i will just do tf heads and leave it at that till next winter? Idk lol just trying to get a little more power for the summer and have heads that will still work good with a 331 later on.

Old 03-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #8
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
That is what i might just do at this point. Just more money then i was looking to spend right now and doing a cam with the motor still in the car im told is a major PITA. But maybe i will just do tf heads and leave it at that till next winter? Idk lol just trying to get a little more power for the summer and have heads that will still work good with a 331 later on.
I'd really recommend using either their HCI kit or another major manufacturer's kit.
That way all of your components work together instead of against each other as so often happens in pieced together combinations.

You could just buy the heads and wait to get the matching components later, but with heads only you may be disappointed in the results until the other components are added.
Old 03-08-2012, 12:27 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Well i have a street heat intake atm sitting in my room so it would be a head and intake swap. But how hard would u say it is to do a cam when i would already have the heads off? like im guessing i will need to take the radiator out, how about the AC condensor?
Old 03-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgarray17
Well i have a street heat intake atm sitting in my room so it would be a head and intake swap. But how hard would u say it is to do a cam when i would already have the heads off? like im guessing i will need to take the radiator out, how about the AC condensor?
If you're doing the heads it isn't that much more work to do the cam. Yes the radiator has to come out. I

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
I read up on the e-street heads if you get them make sure you DO NOT rev past 5500rpms you will cause major valve float, if you can save a extra $300. And get the edelbrock performer 5.0 heads!!
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:25 PM   #12

Region: Ohio

Few things on the E streets
- i saw people were asking about the price - the price is 1599.99 fully ported, assembled with manley hardware,each one hand made in house by Ron and jim at fox lake
- I am bias for a few reasons - im a huge fan of their work, they are building my motor which is a 347 stroker,and i have their new E streets going on it
- my heads are actually being made in their video series which you can watch on youtube by searching for fox lake power products.
Ron goes thru the whole build process in a three part series - i would watch the series and decide for yourself whats right for you and your car.

also - these heads are good up to 7000rpm @ 600 lift

Heres the link to the first episode of the edelbrock head build series - Welcome to Fox Lake Power Products Edelbrock "E Street" Cylinder Head Build Part 1 - YouTube

And if you wanna see these heads running on a 331? - here ya go

on run in stand - 331 stroker built by fox lake - YouTube

And heres the dyno - 331 stroker by Fox Lake Dyno Test - YouTube
slivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:14 PM   #13
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers View Post
Few things on the E streets
- i saw people were asking about the price - the price is 1599.99 fully ported, assembled with manley hardware,each one hand made in house by Ron and jim at fox lake
- I am bias for a few reasons - im a huge fan of their work, they are building my motor which is a 347 stroker,and i have their new E streets going on it
- my heads are actually being made in their video series which you can watch on youtube by searching for fox lake power products.
Ron goes thru the whole build process in a three part series - i would watch the series and decide for yourself whats right for you and your car.

also - these heads are good up to 7000rpm @ 600 lift

Heres the link to the first episode of the edelbrock head build series - Welcome to Fox Lake Power Products Edelbrock "E Street" Cylinder Head Build Part 1 - YouTube

And if you wanna see these heads running on a 331? - here ya go

on run in stand - 331 stroker built by fox lake - YouTube

And heres the dyno - 331 stroker by Fox Lake Dyno Test - YouTube
Nice, but if you are going for power and flow why not start with the Victor or RPM Xtreme heads?
Old 03-11-2012, 04:22 PM   #14

Ron is a smart guy, he wanted to make a affordable head -most of his business is for pro's and track cars,and high end dollar porting... he wanted to provide a race ready head, out of the box for the people who wanted a entry level priced quality head, hes researched all these other entry level heads in house and figured he could make a fox lake quality head for entry level budgets... i chose these heads, not for price - but for the love and care he puts into every set, and he add's his secret valve seat angle that hes known for, the tear drop port, all of his high end techniques are in the heads program, the valve guides are hand honed, theres alot of love that goes into these you just wont find in the other similar priced and more expensive flow rated heads...you just get ALOT for very little investment, I could of had any head by Ron and i chose the E streets. They arent mass produced, you order them and they make them according to your specs
Old 03-11-2012, 04:46 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Ron is a smart guy, he wanted to make a affordable head -most of his business is for pro's and track cars,and high end dollar porting... he wanted to provide a race ready head, out of the box for the people who wanted a entry level priced quality head, hes researched all these other entry level heads in house and figured he could make a fox lake quality head for entry level budgets... i chose these heads, not for price - but for the love and care he puts into every set, and he add's his secret valve seat angle that hes known for, the tear drop port, all of his high end techniques are in the heads program, the valve guides are hand honed, theres alot of love that goes into these you just wont find in the other similar priced and more expensive flow rated heads...you just get ALOT for very little investment, I could of had any head by Ron and i chose the E streets. They arent mass produced, you order them and they make them according to your specs
I'm not doubting his work or quality.
I just wondered why not pick a better set of heads to begin with if you are going for increased lift and flow capabilities.

P.S. I love my machinist too, but mainly because he's my cousin.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
I'm not doubting his work or quality.
I just wondered why not pick a better set of heads to begin with if you are going for increased lift and flow capabilities.

P.S. I love my machinist too, but mainly because he's my cousin.

On no... i wasnt saying or meaning that.. im sorry.. i didnt answer question very well .. im sorry... im not sure why he chose the E streets, ill ask him next time i see him
Old 03-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
On no... i wasnt saying or meaning that.. im sorry.. i didnt answer question very well .. im sorry... im not sure why he chose the E streets, ill ask him next time i see him
You have nothing to be sorry for.
He may have chose them just to showcase what he can do with them.
I just thought maybe there was a particular reason for choosing those heads.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:19 AM   #18

whitecobra94 - those numbers would be correct if it were a stock head, the fox lake version will keep you safe past 7000rpm if you watch the head series you will see this is accomplished -

If you are going to use the fox lake heads i would suggest changing your cam to match the heads - i have a custom cam made by Ron @ fox lake to match my heads and set up - letter cams will not get you there

I would also have your intake port matched -

Ron has angled the valves in the e streets - just as he would in his high end heads - they will work with stock pistons and they are set at 2.02

Do not waste your money on AFR unless you want wrong numbers and cheap internals - again - if its doubted fox lake is making a better head - watch the head series on youtube and watch how Ron achieves numbers THAT WILL CRUSH AFR -

For you trick flow fans - Ron IS trickflow - he is their technology - he was the first to cut on tricks back in the late 80's - when summit racing bought trick flow - ron left and started his own shop and continued to research and develop better products. Trick flow STILL sends all their port work to Fox lake.
Your buying Rons technique in trick flows,and they are great heads, but its actually astounding whats been done with the E street - its not a E street - its a fox lake head with a E street casting

---------- Post added at 06:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

Quote:
You have nothing to be sorry for.
He may have chose them just to showcase what he can do with them.
I just thought maybe there was a particular reason for choosing those heads.
Quote:
Nice, but if you are going for power and flow why not start with the Victor or RPM Xtreme heads?
i think he chose them to shut down pro comp and AFR - hes pretty pissed those companies are charging what they do for CRAP.

Sorry for the CRAP comment. just my opinion

Not everyone can afford fox lake heads - but with the E streets now everyone can afford a quality head, hand made in america - For anyone who is on the fence or if u you wanna know more... call fox lake..call the shop and talk to ron and tell him your plans and he will honestly push you in the right direction and he can elaborate on why he chose the E street, and hell help ya out even if you choose another direction, or even if its not with him, hell pass on his knowledge - he likes talking to people on this subject and hes very in tune to it all.
Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers
whitecobra94 - those numbers would be correct if it were a stock head, the fox lake version will keep you safe past 7000rpm if you watch the head series you will see this is accomplished -

If you are going to use the fox lake heads i would suggest changing your cam to match the heads - i have a custom cam made by Ron @ fox lake to match my heads and set up - letter cams will not get you there

I would also have your intake port matched -

Ron has angled the valves in the e streets - just as he would in his high end heads - they will work with stock pistons and they are set at 2.02

Do not waste your money on AFR unless you want wrong numbers and cheap internals - again - if its doubted fox lake is making a better head - watch the head series on youtube and watch how Ron achieves numbers THAT WILL CRUSH AFR -

For you trick flow fans - Ron IS trickflow - he is their technology - he was the first to cut on tricks back in the late 80's - when summit racing bought trick flow - ron left and started his own shop and continued to research and develop better products. Trick flow STILL sends all their port work to Fox lake.
Your buying Rons technique in trick flows,and they are great heads, but its actually astounding whats been done with the E street - its not a E street - its a fox lake head with a E street casting

---------- Post added at 06:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:05 AM ----------

i think he chose them to shut down pro comp and AFR - hes pretty pissed those companies are charging what they do for CRAP.

Sorry for the CRAP comment. just my opinion

Not everyone can afford fox lake heads - but with the E streets now everyone can afford a quality head, hand made in america - For anyone who is on the fence or if u you wanna know more... call fox lake..call the shop and talk to ron and tell him your plans and he will honestly push you in the right direction and he can elaborate on why he chose the E street, and hell help ya out even if you choose another direction, or even if its not with him, hell pass on his knowledge - he likes talking to people on this subject and hes very in tune to it all.
Yea I just check out the site
WhiteCobra94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:31 PM   #20
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
sounds very intersting.you seem to know alot about the product.i havent checked out the videos yet but i will. i will disagree that all of the other top brands you named are crap.lots of people have used the afr with great results.i strayed away from the afr 185 because i didnt want to kotch my pistons.i am running the trickflow 170s, and i am very pleased so far but havent really got to do much testing of them yet.

---------- Post added at 07:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:30 PM ----------

let us know how the heads run on your 331 when you get it all done.like dyno numbers tract times etc. you have me very interested now.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:30 PM   #21

Trick flow makes awesome stuff,fox lake offers the whole trick flow line as well...im not meaning to bash AFR or user's of their stuff... different strokes for different folks ...im speaking simply from a budget stand point,and anyone that knows the reputation of fox lake,take that and it add it to the E street casting,its beyond a good grab i think, i thought so when i chose them for my motor, but im only going after 450rwhp on a street car
Old 03-12-2012, 08:49 PM   #22
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I personally never used afr so u didn't offend me.but I have read nothing but great reviews,that's all.

He does seem like he really knows his stuff though
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:05 PM   #23

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT