Straight piping 1989 5.0 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
Straight piping 1989 5.0

Lookin for anyone who has done this and any other suggestions. Runnin the stock mufflers right now but looking or a louder n meaner sound.
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 172
Well I have a 94 gt and I have headers o/r h pipe and then straight pipes with no mufflers and then tips. It's loud lol but I don't really like the sound of it with no muffler. My friends can hear me what it seems like 2 miles b4 I get to there house. Lol. So I'm lookin to put some flomasters on mine. Just figured I would give u a example. And jst plain ol straight pipes don't sound as good as with a h or x pipe.
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
O alright.. Cause im runnin shorty headers downpipes and an o/r x pipe just dont really have the money to buy some flownaster series 10's or some slp loudmouth resonators. Does it just crackle n pop like a bi**h or whats annoying bout it?
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 172
Yeah it cackles somewhat. More when the motor is cold. Idk y. But it don't have the deep tone like alot of 5.0 have. To me it sounds like a old school carbureted 302 that's Loud but that don't sound to great. I'm in the same boat as u. I dont have the money for any mufflers at the time. But really it's a prefernce thing. U might really like it being loud. And u say u still have stock mufflers. So they r prolly kind of quite. So if u put pipe in place of the mufflers would deff. Make it alot louder. But thank goodness i haven't had the law called on me or been pulled over so it must not be to abnoxius loud.
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:46 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
Ya the stock mufflers r series 44 flowmasters so its loud but i want something more casue when i put my headers n xpipe on we ran i open header like tht and it sounded amazing
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 172
Well I say take the mufflers off and put straight pipe in. Sounds like your goinh to like it. I do have to admit it sounds the best when I'm up in the upper rpms.
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Just put some cutouts in before the mufflers so you don't have to deal with the drone or when you just want it quieter.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
Just put some cutouts in before the mufflers so you don't have to deal with the drone or when you just want it quieter.
Good ideal. I might do mine like thst to. About about much do that cost. They make electric ones amd manual ones? So do u have to get up under the car to make the transition with the manual ones or what?
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:12 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie94gt
Well I have a 94 gt and I have headers o/r h pipe and then straight pipes with no mufflers and then tips. It's loud lol but I don't really like the sound of it with no muffler. My friends can hear me what it seems like 2 miles b4 I get to there house. Lol. So I'm lookin to put some flomasters on mine. Just figured I would give u a example. And jst plain ol straight pipes don't sound as good as with a h or x pipe.
For the record straight pipes are no cats and mufflers. Divorced pipes have no X or H pipe. Even with an x or h it's still called straight pipes.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang
Just put some cutouts in before the mufflers so you don't have to deal with the drone or when you just want it quieter.
Thats n option but i kinda want it to b annoying lol
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkerk8

Thats n option but i kinda want it to b annoying lol
It will be, but I'm sure there will be times when you don't feel like neon loud. I would put them right before the crossover.

Being* not neon... Lol
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:16 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

It will be, but I'm sure there will be times when you don't feel like neon loud. I would put them right before the crossover.
I could just buy some elec ones and wite a switch in my car
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkerk8

I could just buy some elec ones and wite a switch in my car
Probably be easier than putting the cable operated ones in.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

Probably be easier than putting the cable operated ones in.
Ya and prlly a lil more reliable
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Kentucky
Posts: 172
But ain't the electric ones real expensive or did I hear wrong ?
Robbie94gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter
 
93slowstang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Walker
Region: Louisiana
Posts: 3,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie94gt
But ain't the electric ones real expensive or did I hear wrong ?
True, almost double the cable operated ones I believe.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkerk8

Ya and prlly a lil more reliable
I would think the cable operated cutouts would be more reliable with no motors to go out, but just more of a Pita to run the cable.
__________________


93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93slowstang

True, almost double the cable operated ones I believe.
Ya they are not cheap at all
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:09 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
Finally had nice enough weather to get the Stang out n went n got the muflers cut off.... Now its about the sexiest sound thing ive ever heard
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:45 AM   #19
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Straight piping 1989 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkerk8 View Post
O alright.. Cause im runnin shorty headers downpipes and an o/r x pipe just dont really have the money to buy some flownaster series 10's or some slp loudmouth resonators. Does it just crackle n pop like a bi**h or whats annoying bout it?
Straight pipes sound like crap to me, but to each his own.


Take a look at these.
Jegs Mufflers


Do those look familiar?
Who do you reckon builds those for Jegs?
A lot cheaper too.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:46 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Straight pipes sound like crap to me, but to each his own.

Take a look at these.
Jegs Mufflers

Do those look familiar?
Who do you reckon builds those for Jegs?
A lot cheaper too.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:50 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Straight pipes sound like crap to me, but to each his own.

Take a look at these.
Jegs Mufflers

Do those look familiar?
Who do you reckon builds those for Jegs?
A lot cheaper too.
Ya idk i love it when it sounds like n old rat rod or something like tht. I had flowmasters on it beofre n it sounded great i just wanted it louder
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:53 AM   #22
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Straight piping 1989 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkerk8 View Post
Ya idk i love it when it sounds like n old rat rod or something like tht. I had flowmasters on it beofre n it sounded great i just wanted it louder
If you like it, that's all that really matters.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

If you like it, that's all that really matters.
Ya .. Everyone is entitled to there own opinions and preferences
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 02:31 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
89 Foxloco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 204
My opinion its awsome.yes it pops alot..I have the long tube headers straight back, no cats or anything.I ben like that for about two months, am in love with the sound..its beasty, loud as f**k turns on alarms its just an amazing sounds.all my friends love it..the only problem if you have a chick riding the horse its hard to talk to them or hear them.you kind of have to talk a lil louder than usual cuz the loudness..but other than that its awsome..but its awsome.. In my opinion..
89 Foxloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:56 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Foxloco
My opinion its awsome.yes it pops alot..I have the long tube headers straight back, no cats or anything.I ben like that for about two months, am in love with the sound..its beasty, loud as f**k turns on alarms its just an amazing sounds.all my friends love it..the only problem if you have a chick riding the horse its hard to talk to them or hear them.you kind of have to talk a lil louder than usual cuz the loudness..but other than that its awsome..but its awsome.. In my opinion..
Nice ^
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:02 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
89 Foxloco's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkerk8

Nice ^
Thanks!! Its an amazing experience but an going back to a lil bit less louder..neck breaker but cop attention to much..and I believe you loose torque if you don't have the hp to keep it up.. You should try it though..experience everything..my exhaust has been the one I have change the most.. Done so many set ups that am finally going to settle for one..lol..but if you like your car to sound beasty, loud and like the popping than go straight pipe!! I have a video but idk how you guys would be a ale to see it..
89 Foxloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 06:38 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by 89 Foxloco

Thanks!! Its an amazing experience but an going back to a lil bit less louder..neck breaker but cop attention to much..and I believe you loose torque if you don't have the hp to keep it up.. You should try it though..experience everything..my exhaust has been the one I have change the most.. Done so many set ups that am finally going to settle for one..lol..but if you like your car to sound beasty, loud and like the popping than go straight pipe!! I have a video but idk how you guys would be a ale to see it..
O ik!.. I just got mine straight piped two days ago. I love it n just upload the vid to youtube n post the link on here

---------- Post added at 06:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:03 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkerk8

O ik!.. I just got mine straight piped two days ago. I love it n just upload the vid to youtube n post the link on here
Also yesterday i had my vice principal come out to the parking lot n tell me he loved my car and tht loud pipes save lives! Lol
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 AM   #28
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Straight piping 1989 5.0

I went through a phase where I loved the really loud exhaust too, but nowadays I would rather "walk softly and carry a big stick".
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 08:26 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse
I went through a phase where I loved the really loud exhaust too, but nowadays I would rather "walk softly and carry a big stick".
Ya tht works.. Have more of a "sleeper"?
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:44 AM   #30
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Straight piping 1989 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkerk8 View Post
Ya tht works.. Have more of a "sleeper"?
It won't really be a sleeper. The exterior mods would be a dead giveaway.


More of a "What the **** was that!" when it blows past most other vehicles.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

It won't really be a sleeper. The exterior mods would be a dead giveaway.

More of a "What the **** was that!" when it blows past most other vehicles.
Haha thats awesome!
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 09:57 AM   #32
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Straight piping 1989 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkerk8 View Post
Haha thats awesome!
Let's hope so.
I have invested a good portion of my life and funds into it so far.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

Let's hope so.
I have invested a good portion of my life and funds into it so far.
Ya i can imagine...ive invested alot into mine as well and it my pride n joy
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:51 AM   #34
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Straight piping 1989 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dkerk8 View Post
Ya i can imagine...ive invested alot into mine as well and it my pride n joy
I just noticed yours is a convertible. I thought it was a coupe at first.


We still have our youngest daughter's 89' GT convertible too.
It's a triple white with only 54k miles on it.
We plan to restore it in her honor according to how she wanted it modified and her sisters will show it at car shows in her name with a plaque warning against the dangers of drunk driving.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:58 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular
 
Dkerk8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Michigan
Posts: 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

I just noticed yours is a convertible. I thought it was a coupe at first.

We still have our youngest daughter's 89' GT convertible too.
It's a triple white with only 54k miles on it.
We plan to restore it in her honor according to how she wanted it modified and her sisters will show it at car shows in her name with a plaque warning against the dangers of drunk driving.
Wow... That is amazing and would be an awesome tribute to her and would do that classic justice.
Dkerk8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New 5.0 guy from IL. Rot Manik New Member Introductions & Greetings 7 03-19-2012 10:06 PM
91 5.0 Mostly Stock JayKranz 1979-1995 Mustang GT 252 03-18-2012 09:27 PM
Straight thru dual or cat back? austinknoll Pre-2005 V6 Mustang 14 03-15-2012 04:41 PM
Smoking problem with the 5.0 1995boss 1979-1995 Mustang GT 20 03-07-2012 11:13 AM
Modified my Race Red '11 5.0 GT Brembo M3hunter 2011-2014 Mustang GT 32 03-06-2012 06:11 AM

» Like Us On Facebook



05:41 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.