Rear end noise? Low tone whine. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otlaw80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 504
Rear end noise? Low tone whine.

The saga continues. Changed my rear end to a stock unit from a 97. The type and amount of noise is better but i have a low tone whine/howl under acceleration and when slowing down by allowing the trans to be the "brake". If I hold the speed steady it makes no noise. Spinning by hand gives no noise and running it with the back tires off the ground make no noise. Fresh 80/90 lube and friction modify . Gears look good, new u-joints . Any one have guesses or things to look at? Also installed new tubular control arms with polyurethane bushings . Ratio is 3.09/1
__________________
1986 GT T-Top. Driving Project
Otlaw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Rear end noise? Low tone whine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80 View Post
The saga continues. Changed my rear end to a stock unit from a 97. The type and amount of noise is better but i have a low tone whine/howl under acceleration and when slowing down by allowing the trans to be the "brake". If I hold the speed steady it makes no noise. Spinning by hand gives no noise and running it with the back tires off the ground make no noise. Fresh 80/90 lube and friction modify . Gears look good, new u-joints . Any one have guesses or things to look at? Also installed new tubular control arms with polyurethane bushings . Ratio is 3.09/1
That's a strange ratio?


You should probably check the contact pattern of the ring and pinion gears.
It's always a good idea when installing an unknown rearend.
That noise could also be caused by bad bearings.
You can usually turn them by hand to get an idea if they are good or not.
They should turn smoothly with no catches or bumps.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otlaw80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 504
Apparently (from my searches) 3.09 was an option in 97. bearings feel good. I did just notice that when you push and pull on the axle (while installed) the left side moves in and out a bit with ease (normal from my experience ) but the right side is hard to push and pull and doesn't move as much. Checking the contact of the gears was gonna be my next step after making are everything else is ok. Thanx for the input.
__________________
1986 GT T-Top. Driving Project
Otlaw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Rear end noise? Low tone whine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80 View Post
Apparently (from my searches) 3.09 was an option in 97. bearings feel good. I did just notice that when you push and pull on the axle (while installed) the left side moves in and out a bit with ease (normal from my experience ) but the right side is hard to push and pull and doesn't move as much. Checking the contact of the gears was gonna be my next step after making are everything else is ok. Thanx for the input.
Lift the rear and slowly with your hands flat as possible in contact with the tire turn it and see if you feel any roughness. It may be the axle bearing on that right side.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otlaw80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 504
Will do. Another theory would be that its not in the rear but something on the car? The noise isn't as bad but its possible that its just because its not spinning as fast? Have you ever seen a drive shaft or tail housing bushings cause noise issues?
__________________
1986 GT T-Top. Driving Project
Otlaw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: Rear end noise? Low tone whine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80 View Post
Will do. Another theory would be that its not in the rear but something on the car? The noise isn't as bad but its possible that its just because its not spinning as fast? Have you ever seen a drive shaft or tail housing bushings cause noise issues?
A drive shaft with worn out u-joints can make some weird noises, but they are usually squeaky noises.
Never had any problems with tailshaft bushings, but they could get noisy I suppose.
I would expect more of a squeaky noise out of those too though.


Maybe get someone to drive for you and get in the back seat and listen.
You could even go so far as to remove the back seat so the noise would be a bit louder and maybe easier to locate.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otlaw80's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Region: Illinois
Posts: 504
Re: Rear end noise? Low tone whine.

I had the same thoughts, just kind of throwing out idea's. I have went as far as hanging out of a trunk with my head below the bumper while someone else was driving before trying to diagnose a sound at work. lol Wasn't bad except for the big bumps
__________________
1986 GT T-Top. Driving Project
Otlaw80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Amp back feed noise through speakers SNK3BTE04 Mustang Audio & Video 16 03-28-2012 08:49 AM
Looking a cobra rear bumper. 1995boss 1979-1995 Mustang GT 11 03-07-2012 08:27 PM
Rear brake upgrade? 11stangGT 2011-2014 Mustang GT 10 03-05-2012 12:08 PM
rear diff blew at 8k 5.ohhhhh 2011-2014 Mustang GT 11 03-02-2012 08:29 AM
8.8" rear jamin22786 2005-2010 V6 Mustang 9 03-01-2012 09:20 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



10:05 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.