Rear end noise? Low tone whine. - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-08-2012, 03:38 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
Rear end noise? Low tone whine.

The saga continues. Changed my rear end to a stock unit from a 97. The type and amount of noise is better but i have a low tone whine/howl under acceleration and when slowing down by allowing the trans to be the "brake". If I hold the speed steady it makes no noise. Spinning by hand gives no noise and running it with the back tires off the ground make no noise. Fresh 80/90 lube and friction modify . Gears look good, new u-joints . Any one have guesses or things to look at? Also installed new tubular control arms with polyurethane bushings . Ratio is 3.09/1
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 04:07 PM   #2
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri
Re: Rear end noise? Low tone whine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otlaw80 View Post
The saga continues. Changed my rear end to a stock unit from a 97. The type and amount of noise is better but i have a low tone whine/howl under acceleration and when slowing down by allowing the trans to be the "brake". If I hold the speed steady it makes no noise. Spinning by hand gives no noise and running it with the back tires off the ground make no noise. Fresh 80/90 lube and friction modify . Gears look good, new u-joints . Any one have guesses or things to look at? Also installed new tubular control arms with polyurethane bushings . Ratio is 3.09/1
That's a strange ratio?

You should probably check the contact pattern of the ring and pinion gears.
It's always a good idea when installing an unknown rearend.
That noise could also be caused by bad bearings.
You can usually turn them by hand to get an idea if they are good or not.
They should turn smoothly with no catches or bumps.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Apparently (from my searches) 3.09 was an option in 97. bearings feel good. I did just notice that when you push and pull on the axle (while installed) the left side moves in and out a bit with ease (normal from my experience ) but the right side is hard to push and pull and doesn't move as much. Checking the contact of the gears was gonna be my next step after making are everything else is ok. Thanx for the input.
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Apparently (from my searches) 3.09 was an option in 97. bearings feel good. I did just notice that when you push and pull on the axle (while installed) the left side moves in and out a bit with ease (normal from my experience ) but the right side is hard to push and pull and doesn't move as much. Checking the contact of the gears was gonna be my next step after making are everything else is ok. Thanx for the input.
Lift the rear and slowly with your hands flat as possible in contact with the tire turn it and see if you feel any roughness. It may be the axle bearing on that right side.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Will do. Another theory would be that its not in the rear but something on the car? The noise isn't as bad but its possible that its just because its not spinning as fast? Have you ever seen a drive shaft or tail housing bushings cause noise issues?
Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Will do. Another theory would be that its not in the rear but something on the car? The noise isn't as bad but its possible that its just because its not spinning as fast? Have you ever seen a drive shaft or tail housing bushings cause noise issues?
A drive shaft with worn out u-joints can make some weird noises, but they are usually squeaky noises.
Never had any problems with tailshaft bushings, but they could get noisy I suppose.
I would expect more of a squeaky noise out of those too though.

Maybe get someone to drive for you and get in the back seat and listen.
You could even go so far as to remove the back seat so the noise would be a bit louder and maybe easier to locate.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:33 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I had the same thoughts, just kind of throwing out idea's. I have went as far as hanging out of a trunk with my head below the bumper while someone else was driving before trying to diagnose a sound at work. lol Wasn't bad except for the big bumps

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT