T-5 Tranny issue - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
T-5 Tranny issue

I everyone, I have an 85 GT hatchback 5speed. It has a hydraulic clutch conversion.
About 3 weeks ago I was sitting at a red light and had it in first gear, when it turned green I started letting the clutch out and it popped in to neutral. I put it back in 1st and drove off. So I didn't think anything of it and thought maybe it just wasn't in gear all the way the first time. It did it about a week later again. Same exact scenario. And so now the last few days I've been driving it, it has been really hard to get it in to first gear. I have to pretty much be stopped, and it takes a lot more work to get it in to 1st. Once I take off, it goes in to second pretty easily. But if I'm just sitting still and try to shift it in to 2nd and back to first it's really hard to get it in and out of gear. Any ideas on what it might be??? Thanks for the help guys.
Klinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 12:29 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
When I had that same problem when I couldn't sown shift to 3rd ..replaced the syncro it was fine after that

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:29 AM ----------

Good luck!!!
five_0_85stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
Had similar problem back on the day with. Synchros were shot. Probably need a rebuild.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ok, thanks for the replies. I don't know much about transmissions. Is there an easy way to replace the synchro or does it require tearing down the transmission completely. Sorry if that's a dumb question. I rebuilt my engine a while back and have built jeeps in the past. So I'm mechanically inclined pretty well, but have never messed with transmissions.
Old 03-12-2012, 02:30 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
Re: T-5 Tranny issue

check the clutch adjustment to ensure its being pushed in enough so it can go into neutral or go into gear as you let out on the clutch fully.
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:16 PM   #6
Road Trip!

Region: Indiana
I would check the clutch adjustment like spec said first.may as well check the easy stuff first because yes replacing the syncro requires tearing the transmission apart.I would also check the make sure the cable is in good shape while you checking adjustment.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:24 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinton View Post
I everyone, I have an 85 GT hatchback 5speed. It has a hydraulic clutch conversion.
About 3 weeks ago I was sitting at a red light and had it in first gear, when it turned green I started letting the clutch out and it popped in to neutral. I put it back in 1st and drove off. So I didn't think anything of it and thought maybe it just wasn't in gear all the way the first time. It did it about a week later again. Same exact scenario. And so now the last few days I've been driving it, it has been really hard to get it in to first gear. I have to pretty much be stopped, and it takes a lot more work to get it in to 1st. Once I take off, it goes in to second pretty easily. But if I'm just sitting still and try to shift it in to 2nd and back to first it's really hard to get it in and out of gear. Any ideas on what it might be??? Thanks for the help guys.
Have you checked the fluid level?
Sounds like you may have not had it in gear good that first time and it's possible you damaged the transmission when that happened.

Have you been speed or power shifting it?
If so and you do not have a shifter or transmission with built in stops, you may have bent the internal shifting forks.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 09:05 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

I haven't checked the fluids yet. Been working a bunch lately. But wouldn't that or the clutch effect all five gears? I drove it yesterday, and it got even worse. Now I can't use 1st or 2nd gear at all. Ihaven't to take off in 3rd. So I had to baby it home. It definitely feels like it's something inside the tranny. Also, I'm thinking that if it was the clutch then I would still be able to shift through the gears when the engine isn't running, but it won't go in to 1st or 2nd even when the car is off
Old 03-13-2012, 09:11 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klinton View Post
I haven't checked the fluids yet. Been working a bunch lately. But wouldn't that or the clutch effect all five gears? I drove it yesterday, and it got even worse. Now I can't use 1st or 2nd gear at all. Ihaven't to take off in 3rd. So I had to baby it home. It definitely feels like it's something inside the tranny. Also, I'm thinking that if it was the clutch then I would still be able to shift through the gears when the engine isn't running, but it won't go in to 1st or 2nd even when the car is off
Yes it should affect all gears.

Unfortunately it sounds more and more like you have internal damage.
The shifting forks would be my first suspect.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT