rebuilding traction-lok lsd - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
rebuilding traction-lok lsd

I have a question about rebuilding the factory traction lok lsd in my 91 gt. Would it be worth the $79 for the rebuild kit? Or should I pay $109 for the carbon fiber clutch rebuild kit, or just buy a new traction lok already assembled and ready for install for $179. Also when replacing the diff cover would it be a good idea to get a aftermarket cover like the ones from trick flow, T/A performance? Thanks for the help and the info!
91BlueMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Region: Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to svtlx
Re: rebuilding traction-lok lsd

i would get the frpp kit... less room to eff it up. but it depends on ur purposes though. if its primarily a street car, u should consider driveability...and the frpp will typicaly hold up for most steet driven cars on street tires...

bbk ssi, 70ml t.b., bbk adj.reg., bd11-a 11psi, e-cam,
racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
svtlx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:32 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Its the frpp kit, frpp also has a heavy duty carbon fiber kit for $30 more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #4
Titus Wadicus
Regular

i guess im getn behind the times, ive never even heard of a carbon fiber gear kit from frpp... the last time i saw one referenced, it was bout formula1 ..lol.

if u wanna spend it, go for it....

racing aod, 2700 stall, 3.42 gears, ported e7, 308ci, 1.7rr, comp .560valve springs, gear drive, high dwell module, msd 6a & coil, bbk off road xpipe, mac cat back, 30lbs inj, pro-m 90mm, welded subframe connectors, boxed upper & lower trailing arms, spherical axle bushings, 255/50/16 tires, 255lph pump, 456hp
Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM   #5
Road Trip!
Supporter

Region: Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BlueMule View Post
I have a question about rebuilding the factory traction lok lsd in my 91 gt. Would it be worth the $79 for the rebuild kit? Or should I pay $109 for the carbon fiber clutch rebuild kit, or just buy a new traction lok already assembled and ready for install for $179. Also when replacing the diff cover would it be a good idea to get a aftermarket cover like the ones from trick flow, T/A performance? Thanks for the help and the info!
If you can get a new one for $179 it really isn't worth the effort to rebuild yours.

Yes it is a good idea to replace the stamped steel cover with an aftermarket HD aluminum cover.

I like the aluminum LPW Ultimate cover myself. You can add braces from it to the ends of your axles to further strengthen the rearend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LPW Alum Support Cover.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	43332  
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:46 PM   #6
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
If you can get a new one for $179 it really isn't worth the effort to rebuild yours.

Yes it is a good idea to replace the stamped steel cover with an aftermarket HD aluminum cover.

I like the aluminum LPW Ultimate cover myself. You can add braces from it to the ends of your axles to further strengthen the rearend.
soooo wuts da purpose of aftermarket cover, besides bn aluminum...

Old 03-12-2012, 03:51 PM   #7
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
soooo wuts da purpose of aftermarket cover, besides bn aluminum...
They are stronger than the stamped steel covers and they have two bearing supports that contact the bearing caps to help prevent cap distortion and add strength.
With the Ultimate cover they also offer "support rods" that you attach to the ends of the axle tubes to help prevent deflection there too.

Oh yeah, they are purdy too.
Old 03-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #8
Titus Wadicus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse View Post
They are stronger than the stamped steel covers and they have two bearing supports that contact the bearing caps to help prevent cap distortion and add strength.
With the Ultimate cover they also offer "support rods" that you attach to the ends of the axle tubes to help prevent deflection there too.

how much hp do u need to be making so that the dollars make sense on the purchase...

just making sure its not one of those deals where ppl that r making 250 at the wheels are goin out and doin 31 spline swap and c-clip eminators if u know wut i mean..... u know wut i mean

Old 03-12-2012, 04:10 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

To add to that they also have a drain and fill plug.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by svtlx View Post
how much hp do u need to be making so that the dollars make sense on the purchase...

just making sure its not one of those deals where ppl that r making 250 at the wheels are goin out and doin 31 spline swap and c-clip eminators if u know wut i mean..... u know wut i mean
I know what you mean.
Stock to mildly modded street cars don't really need them.
But if you have a medium to heavily modded car that sees much drag strip time at all they are well worth the money.

While the 8.8 is a decent little lightweight rearend, the cast center section does leave a bit to be desired. The axle tubes are more or less "glued" into place with a couple of spot welds and will move a bit during hard launches. The cast iron center section will move and distort also. The HD covers help stiffen it up, add some support to the bearing caps and the rods help keep the axle tubes in place.

When you consider that some will install a rear end cover just for aesthetic reasons, I think they are well worth the cost even if you don't really need them.

When I'm able to get back to work on my car, I will show you an 8.8 that is built for severe duty, and in line with your way of doing things it will be low buck with me building the bracing and supports myself.
Old 03-12-2012, 06:05 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91BlueMule View Post
To add to that they also have a drain and fill plug.
Yes, I forgot those benifits.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT