question:why does my 5.0L...... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 03-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #1
Registered User
Newbie
 
JFF90LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3
question:why does my 5.0L......

why does my 5.0L run good for a little while, then runs like crap and eventually shuts off? when I first start it it runs good no problems but after like 10 minutes it starts to run rough and when you rev it up it sputers and when it comes back down to idle it almost dies and eventually will die? please help me
JFF90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-12-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Road Trip!
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Region: Indiana
Posts: 8,044
do you have any codes? good tune up may help but might not solve. i would check your fuel pressure first. then follow the procedures in you service manual to check and or clean the following parts: iac, maf, and tps. then follow the correct procedure for setting idle.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/tps.php

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

http://mustang.blogsome.com/2005/10/...le-adjustment/

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...cklist.698148/

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

All of these links can be found in the sticky section under "useful mustang information" plus a lot more useful stuff. After you've checked these let us know what u came up with and we will see what we can do.
dreamstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #3
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamstang
do you have any codes? good tune up may help but might not solve. i would check your fuel pressure first. then follow the procedures in you service manual to check and or clean the following parts: iac, maf, and tps. then follow the correct procedure for setting idle.

---------- Post added at 07:14 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:11 PM ----------

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/tps.php

---------- Post added at 07:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

http://mustang.blogsome.com/2005/10/...le-adjustment/

---------- Post added at 07:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-foru...cklist.698148/

---------- Post added at 07:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

All of these links can be found in the sticky section under "useful mustang information" plus a lot more useful stuff. After you've checked these let us know what u came up with and we will see what we can do.
+1 sounds like the fuel pump is getting hot which means time for a new pump but check everything else that's been mentioned first
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-12-2012, 07:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
1995boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Kansas
Posts: 333
Re: question:why does my 5.0L......

Check fuel lines and filter and even the fuel pump.
1995boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 PM   #5
Registered User
Newbie
 
94GT inblockcam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: California
Posts: 7
Hey im a new member ......i was thinling if it was a fuel problem wouldnt it happen from eng. start it s
94GT inblockcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
1995boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Region: Kansas
Posts: 333
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94GT inblockcam
Hey im a new member ......i was thinling if it was a fuel problem wouldnt it happen from eng. start it s
From the sound of it in my experience and understand. It sounds to be a fuel up pump. I'm not sure the question your asking? You should rephrase that question.
1995boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #7
Registered User
Newbie
 
94GT inblockcam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: California
Posts: 7
Hey im a new member ......i was thinking if its not a fuel pressure prob.i would check the O2 sensor...see when the engine is cold the o2 isn used there is a consistant rich air fuel ratio sent to cyl. This is called open loop when the o2 heats up pcm goes into closed loop using it to adjust ur ratio accordingly if ur o2 sensor is sending a incorrect rich voltage signal causing the pcm to correct a rich condition that is not there and will cause it to lean ur fuel to much causing ur symptoms..volt meter should tell u
94GT inblockcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 06:06 AM   #8
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94GT inblockcam
Hey im a new member ......i was thinking if its not a fuel pressure prob.i would check the O2 sensor...see when the engine is cold the o2 isn used there is a consistant rich air fuel ratio sent to cyl. This is called open loop when the o2 heats up pcm goes into closed loop using it to adjust ur ratio accordingly if ur o2 sensor is sending a incorrect rich voltage signal causing the pcm to correct a rich condition that is not there and will cause it to lean ur fuel to much causing ur symptoms..volt meter should tell u
Well here's the instance I experienced a couple years ago. Startup just fine, ran like a scolded dog for the first 5-10 mins then if you tried to jab the throttle it would not go past 2 grand, ease into the gas it would rev as high as u wanted.

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and when it would mess up, I was around 40psi at idle, jab the throttle and it would drop the pressure clear down to 10 pounds.

Turned out the fuel pump was clogged or something and was causing the pump to "burn up" and not supply enough pressure.

Changed it out, good as new.
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #9
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: question:why does my 5.0L......

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90mustangLX View Post
Well here's the instance I experienced a couple years ago. Startup just fine, ran like a scolded dog for the first 5-10 mins then if you tried to jab the throttle it would not go past 2 grand, ease into the gas it would rev as high as u wanted.

Put a fuel pressure gauge on it and when it would mess up, I was around 40psi at idle, jab the throttle and it would drop the pressure clear down to 10 pounds.

Turned out the fuel pump was clogged or something and was causing the pump to "burn up" and not supply enough pressure.

Changed it out, good as new.

There you go, good example.

That can happen if the:

Pump is bad or failing
Pump filter sock is collapsing
You put your underwear on backwards
Fuel filter is clogged
Lines are kinked or damaged
Regulator is damaged or malfunctioning
Fuel injectors are clogged or stuck
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:51 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Elfman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trojan Horse

There you go, good example.

That can happen if the:

Pump is bad or failing
Pump filter sock is collapsing
You put your underwear on backwards
Fuel filter is clogged
Lines are kinked or damaged
Regulator is damaged or malfunctioning
Fuel injectors are clogged or stuck
Hahahah i laughed so hard at the third line. Thanks for the advice and humor you bring us
Elfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:46 PM   #11
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: question:why does my 5.0L......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfman View Post
Hahahah i laughed so hard at the third line. Thanks for the advice and humor you bring us
I was wondering if anyone would see it.


Note: I do stuff like that in real life too. You should see some of the looks I get.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Elfman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Region: Canada
Posts: 88
Hahaha i like skimmed through it and was like, wait a min, and then i seen it and could stop laughing
Elfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:28 PM   #13
Registered User
Newbie
 
JFF90LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3
Re: question:why does my 5.0L......

I changed the pump and filter after it started doing this and it didn't change anything
JFF90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:41 PM   #14
Pete Jones
Regular
 
90mustangLX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Region: Ohio
Posts: 781
Send a message via ICQ to 90mustangLX Send a message via AIM to 90mustangLX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFF90LX
I changed the pump and filter after it started doing this and it didn't change anything
There any way you can upload a video of what it's doing?
__________________
90 LX hatchback
(sold but not forgotten)

89 LX Notchback
No motor/trans (for now)
90mustangLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 05:47 PM   #15
Road Trip!
Supporter
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Region: Missouri
Posts: 8,779
Re: question:why does my 5.0L......

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFF90LX View Post
I changed the pump and filter after it started doing this and it didn't change anything
If you fuel pressure is set correctly, then I would start looking closer at the fuel injectors.
Trojan Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 08:09 PM   #16
Registered User
Newbie
 
JFF90LX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Region: Missouri
Posts: 3
Re: question:why does my 5.0L......

eventually I've got it apart right now
JFF90LX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:21 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
98RedGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Region: Missouri
Posts: 107
Re: question:why does my 5.0L......

Its prolly a cooling issue, does it start back up right after? Check your water pump.
__________________
ROOM FOR IMPROVEMENT
98RedGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 1979-2015 Mustang GT || Tech and Talk > 1979-1995 Mustang GT

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Plastic Dip my Hood 06Ghost 2005-2010 Mustang GT 19 03-17-2012 06:19 PM
strut question fox87 1979-1995 Mustang GT 20 03-13-2012 09:40 AM
gt40 question????? fordracing63857 1979-1995 Mustang GT 10 03-12-2012 11:39 PM
Help Me Spend My Tax Return jjsg09 1996-2004 Mustang GT 11 03-12-2012 06:07 PM

» Like Us On Facebook



08:47 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.